Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post Game Thread -- Florida at Tennessee

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 12, 2024 at 10:49 PM.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Chris Doering is clearly not riding on the Billy fan club bus, now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    This is one of those instances where we like to zero in on one thing, but several things are worth acknowledging from tonight:

There was some really bad injury luck tonight, and the defense did more than their part. Normally taking a top 10 team to overtime on the road is respectable. But...

Tennessee is criminally overrated, the UT team that played tonight is not very good. They tried to hand the game to UF and UF just wouldn't take it.

Napier has no feel for the game at all. The WR toss on 4th and an inch was shockingly bad. But a bunch of other calls didn't do UF any favors either, many play calls set up Lagway to fail.

The players also let Napier down in several situations. I don't blame Billy for Mertz's goal-line fumble and the 3rd down sack at the end of the 1st half, which could have made the difference tonight. Lagway's INT that led to the tying FG was just a terrible decision he'll learn from. The moment felt a little big for DJ, but that's understandable. His coach didn't do anything to help him (until his reads are better please ditch the 5-wide empty backfield sets that leave Lagway hanging out to dry).

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Napier doesn’t use analytics and data. In fact he may be the least analytical coach in the P5. Focus on what he does, not what he says. Analytics wouldn’t say to run into a stacked box as an example

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I understand the contention and agree. I'm just adding that we clearly aren't focused on academics either, so that makes their point even more laughable.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    My guess is we were getting mashed in 2nd half and it would be difficult to get the two yards or whatever it is. They would have bullrushed us and we would have no answers. I wanted us to go for two but we needed to score 6 on our possession of we’d lose.

6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Or score more than 3 points on 4 red zone shots in the first half? Or line up for a field goal with 11 guys? Junior varsity mistakes. Feel terrible for the players.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. audiogatorjim

Mar 15, 2009
    Yes and while I don’t know the official rules, clobbering the kicking team on the touchback kickoff seems to be so damn stupid and obvious; can’t say I’ve ever seen that. Poor decision brought on by poor coaching.

8. airgator96

airgator96 GC Legend

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    1. My thoughts are that we do actually have some talent, but with that said, if this is the coaching staff we will more often than not shoot ourselves in the foot.

2. The SEC seems to be pretty even throughout the league. MsSt gave Georgia all it could handle and USC gave Alabama all it could handle.

3. Our chances during what everyone was calling the gauntlet are a little better than I thought. We are competitive and I think if we had a Spurrier, Meyer, or heck even Mullen, 9 wins could have been possible this year.

With this coaching staff everything would have to fall in our lap for us to win against a good team and then we still would need some help.

We can possibly beat Kentucky at home and F$U later in the year.
    Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss will probably beat us, but we may somehow win one.

Texas is probably the best team in the league, but we will find out for sure next week.

Final prediction 6-6 and I thought that would save his job, but after the utter ineptitude tonight, he is way over his head.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 12:54 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Morlais

Morlais All American

Sep 23, 2015
    Well we dominated the stat sheet in every category except the score and they barely out rushed us by 5 yards.

no excuses for losing that game. 0

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cheatng8tr

cheatng8tr Junior

Dec 10, 2021
    The kids played hard and deserved a chance at winning. I could have lived with going for 2 and not making it. I thought, as the underdog, the conventional wisdom was to go for two on the road and play for the OT at home. I would hope that a "process" coach would have the super duper best 2 point play right on his fingertips. The fourth and dumb call was when I had completely had it and almost turned the game off. I'm sure the whole state of Florida could hear me screaming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. hyperion

hyperion Recruit

Nov 26, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    A little role reversal. There have been a handful of games where UT lost to UF, outplayed them but did a few stupid things while UF did nothing special but somehow won the game. Now you guys know how it feels. UT had no business winning but I'll take it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I really don't think the players lost this game.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Kiffin will always drop 3 or 4 games each year at Ole Miss. The recruiting to Oxford is much more difficult. Which is why he would jump at the chance to coach UF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. audiogatorjim

Mar 15, 2009
    Not defending, think he just didn’t see us converting (because he would have called another jet sweep into a stacked defense)

15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Maybe, just not sure he won’t do the same here.

Do you think he’s only getting guys for the O there?
    The anti-Muschamp?
    Serious question.

16. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    He's getting guys for the defense too but he doesn't have great depth on defense there.. he wouldn't have that problem here... he'll be able to get great starters and good depth

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014

Fair question. Guy taking ole miss, ole miss, to Death Valley and losing in ot. 9-10 wins at … ole miss. Not sure what his ceiling is at UF but gotta think it is 10+ wins regularly as a floor. Spurrier won 8 at Duke.

There is no lock to hire but if you want a guarantee winning floor and potential championship ceiling, he’s our guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. airgator96

airgator96 GC Legend

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    With the way we just shot ourselves in the foot in OT.

Looking back would you rather us try to win it with the 2pt conversion attempt?

I think I like DJ's chances better with 3 yards than 35.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 12:59 AM
    • Agree Agree x 5
  19. pogba

pogba Junior

Nov 28, 2013
    I thought it was right to go to OT after they called the timeout. But play calling in OT was the issue, not DJ. That screen call followed by running on that third down was just pathetic; deserved to lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. airgator96

airgator96 GC Legend

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    DJ, three a great TD pass, but was struggling once Mertz went down.