Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Vanderbilt at FLORIDA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Oct 7, 2023.

1. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    As mentioned, it's great seeing kids emerge. Bordingham, Tre, etc. Hopefully the guys that didn't play will be healed and rested up and will be able to contribute on the road. You can see the young talent really starting to make a difference. The emergence of Tre and Boradingham coupled with Pearsoll and our RB's make the offense look pretty respectable. We need that gaggle of dependable playmakers. You can't impose your will on other teams without difference-makers.

Promising.

A nice road victory, please.

Go Gators:cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IMHO, Mertz is a thinker out there up to a point. Obviously no one can be too analytical, otherwise you remain one step behind the speed of the game. I am not sure where the dilemma is. It appears to be a combination of a basic lack of skill along the O-line, Napier's proclivity or concern of calling certain plays and is kind of readable by DCs, and Mertz is what he is: great at the short stuff but lacking in the long ball.

First and foremost, we need to secure a win. But after that, we truly need to get enough points (and stop the other team from scoring points) to allow Brown more time to do RPO plays. One of the things I saw in the UGa box score was that their backup got some real work. If Napier gets too conventional (fundamental?) in his play calling to where the win is in question, Mertz will be all we see for the remainder of the season.

And, as good as Lagway seems to be, you do NOT put all your hope in a true freshman to get you to the promised land. That is WAY too much pressure on a very green player. Even baseball transcendent HS talent plays in the minors. No one, except for perhaps Herschel Walker, is an elite talent playing at the HS level. Unless we see some great progress in the running game and some damn good defense (read turnovers and exerting their will), this is still a 7-win regular season goal for the team. And so, all of Napier's chips will be on next year. That WILL be his "coming out" party or he WILL show his ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    See my post just above this. WAY too much is going to be placed on Lagway if we continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Meh, if the mods don't do their jobs, I am going to pull my...

Oh, I don't give them any money. Um, I will hold my breath until I turn blue. THAT will teach them.

5. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Against Vandy.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    There is a distinct difference between discerning and complaining.

What I say is discerning. What others say that contradicts what I think at the moment is complaining. Or irrational exuberance.

Clay just does not get it. Maybe he should spend more time reading my extraordinary posts. It is a burden I am willing to undertake. You are most sincerely welcome...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry for the day-after grousing (sort of). Marshall has lost a LOT of money this year. Not sure why. Seems like he thought it best to "hang in there for one more season and then make some real money" instead of taking the Napier (via Armstrong) Way. Damn pity.

I wished the D-line exerted their will better. The teams get a LOT more difficult moving forward. Umanmielen seems to have gotten the "#1 defense curse". He should be up to around 6 sacks or so. The entire line is kind of baffling.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. SwampBrody

SwampBrody All American

Nov 13, 2008
    We beat Vandy. Something that should happen every year. Nothing much to post about. Happy for another SEC win. Let’s do it again.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I could have done without the first part of the game. Sloppiness has been driving many of us crazy.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    True but there are many who only complain. You never here a word when positive things happen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Orthodontist is best. They can hire infinite assistants who do all the work. They just look and sign off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think he knows. Scared money don’t make money and Mertz is doing well but possibly is limited a bit. We will see if it’s Napier or Mertz or both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Only caught highlights of the game but from everything I read Billy opened up the offense more. I know we were missing #7 but glad he got the passing game going.

Scored more than I thought we would.

Nothing but tough battles from here on out.

If this team wants a winning record they will need to win 1 or 2 on the road. Doable.

Go Gators!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We do ok when we can block the front seven. It gives hope for sure. When we have a consistent running game we look ok. Hitting more of the intermediate passes consistently is what is needed. Our line has to do their part because we aren’t a high powered offense at this point. AR was bad at short to intermediate and Mertz has been bad on the longer throws. The line isn’t helping that.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They have to show up mad on the road and out hit them next week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’ve never thought Mertz was the problem. He is limited in some areas but he can get the job done.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Those plays are being called and are there. He isn’t getting protection and as some others have suggested, maybe move up in the pocket at times. He isn’t making desperate bad decisions downfield though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. stp_gator

stp_gator GC Legend

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    I would add Jackson and Hanson to this list. Lots of young talent featured yesterday. Really nice to see. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. stp_gator

stp_gator GC Legend

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    This quote from an SDS article (thank you @ETGator for posting in another thread!) sounds like the decision has been made:

“Multiple sources told SDS this week that Napier will make a change in the offseason and bring in his own coordinator. Time will tell if that is impactful, but first and foremost, Napier the CEO has to get the hire for who replaces Napier the coordinator right.”

A deep dive into Billy Napier's slow rebuild at Florida, and all the frustrations coming with it

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I wish people would stop comparing every fast player to Percy Harvin. Percy could bench 400 pounds. The combination of speed and upper body strength made him truly unique

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3