Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Vanderbilt at FLORIDA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It is very telling how few post game posts we have when we win.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. flagator1978

flagator1978 Junior

Aug 20, 2015
    Las Vegas
    I didn’t get to see the game but a nice score. Go Gators…..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the Torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Mods prayers are answered when we win.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I think
    Yeah, I respect those posters who come back and give credit where credit is due after a week where our team deserved a lot of criticism, this week they deserve some credit, it just something about those posters who only pop up after a loss and never have anything positive to ever say. And it's not like they're expected to declare this team a CFP caliber team but they played a solid game in all phases today and deserve the credit for doing so. But yet crickets from a majority of them.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  5. drcgator

drcgator Junior

Nov 19, 2017
    Much needed. Solid all around. Nice distribution on offense and more energy on defense. Didn't think we would score 30 so quite happy to eat my crow there. Congrats to all those who said we would win comfortably and cover.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Mertz will be much better next year, lots of room for improvement. If Lagway can beat him out, great.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Not sure I can agree, ET. This Vandy doesn't look like a better than average Vandy team. After their first two wins:

Wake Forest: Lost 36-20
    UN Las Vegas: Lost 40-37
    Kentucky: Lost 45-28
    Mizzou: Lost 38-21
    Florida: Lost 38-14

I can see them going 2-10.

USCe will be a somewhat better team. If we continue to click as we did against Vandy and the Vols, we may easily win this one as well, before we enter the meatgrinder in Jax...

• Like Like x 3
  8. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Senior

Nov 9, 2019
    It’s a Ho hum win…not a clean game by any means…and nothing to alleviate the concerns from the earlier game except a better sense of urgency. Therefore, few posts in the post game discussion..

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    All I can say is...

we shall see. And if it is less than what you want to believe, will your pitchforks and torches come out in earnest?

• Like Like x 1
  10. midwestfin

midwestfin Sophomore

Aug 23, 2023
    florida WRs are way more athletic than what Mertz had at Wisc. That said, he is still inconsistent down the field.

11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am very impressed that we got a turnover.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The real question is, will the vast majority of the Gator fans accept this year's reality?

Okay, that and whether Napier fires his ST coach and hires a real OC after the end of the season?

13. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Well now that we have a crotchety post from Clay it's officially a thread.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Nice analysis. I would just say that (until further notice):

he is comfortable doing what he likes and does not like other things. He isn't a redshirt freshman. He is kind of fully cooked. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I am glad for the Florida players (& the coaches, too) that they all got to celebrate this Vanderbilt win during Home-Coming!

Hopefully, they will all take this win in stride and get better prepared to play their next ROAD game.

Right now, Florida's record (4-2, 2-1, 2nd in SEC_E) looks respectable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IMO, he is Kadarius Toney 2.0. If you recall, Toney was electric but limited in his freshman season. Plenty of "shake and bake" but little in real beef. He needs more "stuff" to prevent him from missing games.

17. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    What can I say...

[​IMG]

You can't coin a phrase/concept and then run away from it because it is "inconvenient."

Not to muddy the waters too much, but would Spurrier have used the O-line as an excuse as to why he wasn't scoring enough points?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    He definitely could use some bulk, his explosiveness reminds me more of Percy. I don't say that lightly as I personally think Harvin was the most electric player I have ever seen play for UF.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Love the win, but I can't shake my concerns. As others have said, this team is like a box of chocolates....
    Maybe the offense is limited by what Mertz can do and Napier is a genius by having him do what he does well.
    Likely the revolving door on the Oline influences the inconsistencies of the offense.

But, after watching the Red River Rivalry, I am convinced that of Offensive scheme is poor-average and that our coach, who does a lot well, needs to give the O up to someone more sophisticated, who knows how to set up counters and better routes.

Special teams matter, and while ours was better today, I have no confidence it will continue.

My final concern is that I have never seen worse time management, special teams and so many errors by a division 1 team...maybe ever. All from a guy whose trademark is taking care of the details.

Now... my hope is that this game may mean that we have turned the corner especially if our Oline can come together with the new guys shining on offense. I am rooting for this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    That is the point. Plenty of guys have the "shake and bake" but not many have the size to take the wear and tear. To me, Harvin had fantastic straight ahead speed with some zig zag whereas Toney and Wilson have much more of the latter and less of the former.

• Agree Agree x 1