Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Vanderbilt at FLORIDA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Oct 7, 2023.

1. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    more like Hilliard or Anthony

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl

3. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    I’m not sure where the borderline-insulting thing came from, I make it a point to not single out people I disagree with because it’s not productive and as in the posts above I make sure I highlight the things I agree with others about. When I throw out alternate opinions most of the time I use language such as “perhaps and maybe” as I did above because I don’t know everything. If someone is insulted because my ideas do not precisely align with theirs I can’t help that, we won’t all always agree, even though at the end of the day most of us have more in common than we differ on.

I can’t help that I’m new here, I’ve been a Gator fan for decades, even serving as the Vice President of the Gator club where I used to live, so I’m not new to the Gator Nation, just to this board. I joined recently because my wife has lost interest in college football over the last couple of seasons and I just don’t have anyone to talk to about it anymore. Everyone was new here once, right?

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    Perhaps I should have said “generational PHYSICAL talent” but again I’m not super-high on him as a QB either. I wrote that because of the way the talking heads at places like ESPN gushed over his physical measurables when he went to the NFL combine. As Gator fans we saw the good, the bad and the ugly more closely than anyone.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    We don't care that you're new. My point was that you ARE new so maybe be a little less overboard until folks get to know you better.

You didn't insult anyone here that I've seen. Your first post will be copied below. I invite you to re-read it in light of my suggestion. That's all. We're always glad to welcome another Gator around here.

That post could easily have been written by a troll. We find and remove them as efficiently as possible. We're glad you're a Gator!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks ET, glad to be here and glad to have the opportunity to talk Gator football with Gator fans. There aren’t many here in the north Alabama and southern Tennessee area.

I’m definitely not a troll, my picture is in the 1983 University of Florida freshman register and I’ve been cheering for the Gators (and occasionally bemoaning their shortcomings) for a long time now, but like life it is always going to have ups and downs. However it is ALWAYS great to be a Florida Gator. That freshman year my dad bought me season tickets (for around $50 if memory serves) and the stadium was within walking distance from my apartment. I’ve been hooked on Gator football ever since.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Welcome to Swamp Gas!
    Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Optional and lengthy reading...

The post by BobbyBaker says it all. Some families are thrilled their kids get to play. Some are thrilled they got schollie's. Some are thrilled they'll get to go to the NFL. Fandom often times creates such an emotional response we forget to be grateful and respectful. We often feel entitled and have a certain ownership in our teams failures and success; makes sense.

Seeing we've tasted the sweetness of a Natty a few times anything short is sort of a bummer. Expecting to get back their in short order is delusional. Expecting to get there at all again might even be a trick. I myself get caught up in the expectations. The Bamas, the Georgia's, the Clemson's will soon be, (if they're not already) the jaded group. Because they've tasted it and want to keep it and are realizing just how hard the climb to the top is.

The one thing I do notice, is our premier talent is making a difference. Napier's job is to get more of them. He's doing a good job. Who plays more freshman than FLA? We're doing it and the growing pains are what they are. Jettisoning him would be a huge mistake. Having him take a look at a few liabilities would be a good thing and would foster change.

Look at the college football landscape this past weekend. Almost everyone is vulnerable and is making huge blunders. And, they're all getting paid buku bucks.

My serenity is directly proportional to the amount of gratitude I can muster on any given day. I just need to remind myself to be grateful, or not, and just be miserable.

It's great to-be a Florida Gator.

Go Gators.:)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    • Like x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Solid win.
    Yeah Vandy is Vandy but they are better than their normal.
    D played well save for a couple boneheaded plays and the offense was pretty consistent.
    Mertz keeps playing at a very good level.
    Amazing how the run game helps the flow(duh).

Was interesting to see UK get smacked by UGA, Stoops crew will lost 2-3 more I’d wager.

Seems like they get up for us more now than ever before.

USCe will be interesting, Rattler is pretty good but is better in his head than reality. Hope it’s not a night game. And the coaches do something different to fix the road game mentality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Trick play was actually a great call, the throw was too soft otherwise it’s a TD

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    3:30 p.m. kick-off (on SECN).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    3:30 game

14. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    We have seemed to play into UK’s strengths the past few years, whether via play-calling and/or personnel issues. When they play UGA and other teams, they are usually exposed because those teams can take away UK’s strengths and attack their weakness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    We are talking Toney his final year or earlier years? Early on he was hit or miss on the ball being in his hands being a good thing. He was playing Pop-Warner football. His final year something clicked for him. Whether it was himself, his teammates, his coaches or something else I don’t know, but he was a complete weapon. I do think Wilson is ahead of him in terms of Freshman seasons and I know it wasn’t you who said it but I think he’s got a high top end as well. We just don’t see it because he has to juke everyone out first. It’s either him or Jean that the players talked about doing sprints and he just keeps going after they run out of gear.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    Or every coach to Spurrier as well. There’s a reason only a few people have seen unicorns

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Defense was soft in that game and laid an egg. Georgia didn't have that issue and had a very different result.

18. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Richardson running, works on the lesser teams, but a good teams shut that down fairly easily if you can’t do all the little things. In the NFL, that’s going to get him hurt if he doesn’t learn to use his legs very sparingly, although very very big weapon.

• Agree Agree x 2