Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Missouri 17 at FLORIDA 24

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Oct 8, 2022.

1. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    How many tackles did Miller have?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    Your MLB should be making a lot of tackles for you if DL are doing their jobs. I saw progress on DL. They collapsed the pocket pretty well while also maintaining their lanes better and improved contain. FAR from perfect, but a tad better.

I thought the secondary was pretty slow to react. Hill bailed them out as a unit. I'll defer to the film reviews as my initial perception could be way off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I will say both fgs were very long, they were not chip shots.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. EbSaxman

EbSaxman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Yes. He is a solid dude.

5. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  6. cedarkey_gator1

cedarkey_gator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I guess the big takeaway for me so far this season is this team does not quit. We're obviously going to loose some more but this team doesn't give up unlike last year. I thought towards the end of last season Mullin had lost the team...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. RockyMtnGtr

RockyMtnGtr Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Three major concerns about the team. 1 - Third down defense. Not sure if the coaches don't trust the players to play tighter on the receivers or the coaches aren't calling that sort of defense. 2 - Not maximizing AR's talent by letting him run and get into a rhythm. He's not a cerebral - analytical player. He's an instinctual player. And 3 - field goal kicking. Tempted to offer to him the same advice Gary Danielson offered our kicker in 2006. Miss small. Aim for a fan in a bright jersey in the stands directly in the middle of the uprights.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    There's this thing in football called a turnover.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    FLORIDA 24, MISSOURI 17

WHAT HAPPENED: Redshirt freshman cornerback Jaydon Hill intercepted two passes, returning one for a score, and his defensive mates (after a tough afternoon at times) bowed up for late-game stop to seal the outcome and allow the Gators to come away with their first Southeastern Conference victory under Coach Billy Napier in Saturday's homecoming game at Spurrier/Florida Field. Sophomore tailback Montrell Johnson Jr. rushed for a third-quarter score as part of second-half UF ground game assault of 212 yards. Sophomore Anthony Richardson and junior Ricky Pearsall paired for a 3-yard scoring toss with 11:10 to play in what proved to be the decisive score on a day the Gators passed for just 66 yards against a Mizzou defense that threw a nasty scare at No. 1 Georgia a week earlier. A 37-yard field goal by Adam Mihalik in the first quarter and Hill's 48-yard pick-six had Florida up 10 early in the second quarter, but the Gators were unable to muster anything on offense (and missed a pair of long field goals) in finishing with just 66 yards on 18 first-half plays. With Florida flailing, the Tigers were able to erase the 10-0 deficit and tie the game at the break on a 5-yard scoring run from Cody Schrader and 28-yard field goal by Harrison Mevis 20 seconds before halftime. An 82-yard UF drive ended with Johnson's 3-yard scoring at the 6:55 mark of the third and after Hill intercepted Mizzou's Brady Cook (22 of 30, 220 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT) inside the UF 5, the Gators responded with a nine-play, 91-yard drive capped by Richardson's on-the-move dart to Pearsall in the back of the end zone. Back came the Tigers, though, converting on third-and-22 and third-and-15 on the way to an 18-yard touchdown run by Nathaniel Peat that drew the visitors within seven with six minutes to go. After Richardson's tip-ball interception with 2:57 left, Mizzou reached the UF 48, but Cook's fourth-down slant (under pressure from linebacker Ventrell Miller) for wideout Tauskie Dove fell incomplete with 1:17 to go. Florida was out-gained in total yards 370-297 and gave up nine of 17 third-down conversions, yet still managed to come away with the victory.

[​IMG]
    Jaydon Hill returns a first-half interception 48 yards Saturday against Missouri.
    WHAT IT MEANS: A first win in SEC play for the Gators (against the still-winless Tigers), who climbed out of the East Division cellar and inched their way up to a momentary spot in fourth place with with five conference games to go. It was also Florida's win SEC since beating Vanderbilt 42-0 on Oct. 9, 2021, breaking a run of six straight defeats.

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: Hill would be the obvious choice, right? The guy missed all last season with a knee injury, re-injured it in the spring and made his UF debut just last week, announcing himself with seven tackles and two interceptions in his two games. But the Gators, with all their problems on third down, don't win Saturday without the inspired play from Miller, the sixth-year senior who's battled injuries of his own this season. Miller finished with 11 tackles, 10 of them solos and two of them for loss, and had the QB pressure on Missouri's final play that helped clinched the win.

STAGGERING STATISTIC: The 66 first-half yards for the Gators marked the team's fewest in a half since gaining just 61 against Missouri in the 2014 homecoming meeting at the "Swamp." UF lost that one 42-13, despite eventually out-gaining the Tigers 283-119 in yards from scrimmage.

UP NEXT: Florida (4-2, 1-2) will be home again, for the fifth time in the first six games of the season, to face No. 25 LSU (4-2, 2-1), which was manhandled at home by No. 8 Tennessee 40-13 in another league noon game Saturday. The Gators have lost three straight in their series against the Tigers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good points. Playing way off the receivers is a slow death.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    We should be favorite in every remaining game with exception of GA. A&M is toss up, but we should win LSU, Vandy, fSU, and SC. We gifted UK 14 points with AR int. We just need to keep fighting, and build for future.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    We all should have had enough of making evert freaking QB look all world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Defense was really disruptive today at the line of scrimmage. 13 TFL, 4 sacks. LB's (Burney and Miller) probably had their best game all year IMO, considering the opponent. Curious to see if the film lines up with what I thought I saw live. Really curious to see that participation report too, because other than Miller with 11 tackles, 2 TFL, and Burney, 8 tackles, .5 TFL, only one other LB had any stats.

They blew some stuff on 3rd down in the secondary - which is really frustrating. Only bright spot in the secondary today was Hill - who was really big for us today.

Missouri was 9-17 on 3rd down - so that means for the year Florida is 43-85 on 3rd down defense, which keeps them as one of the 5 worst teams on 3rd down in ALL OF DIVISION 1. You HAVE to fix that.

Offense in the 2nd half reminded me of the worst of the Muschamp years. QB play is extremely limited, passing offense is uncreative, and the team lives and dies by the run. It's not sustainable. They have to figure out the QB position. They won't win many games with 66 passing yards, and 2 turnovers by the QB. For the season, Richardson now has 10 total TD and 9 total turnovers. That ratio needs to improve.

I think we are now 1-4 this year on FG's over 45 yards but need someone to check me on that. Might want to consider not kicking as many of those.

A hard fought win. Honestly thought Missouri would score a bunch more - but thankfully they might have even more problems on offense than Florida does. I have no idea how they scored 22 on Georgia.

But now UF is 4-2 at the midway point with a wounded LSU team coming into BHG next week. Gotta keep getting better, get back to work, and find a way to win again at home against another up and down team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope you are correct. What occurs to me is, what will we do in those games to cripple ourselves? Who says we won't gift all a couple TDs?

15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can say with 100% couch coach certainty that there is no defensive call in all of football that has a S stand on a hash 20 yards deep and never moves until a pass is thrown. Why ours do it is baffling. Both of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Encourage by:
    • AR showed some resilience in the second half and made some runs when we needed them.
    • The defense made some big plays with the INTs, TFLs (13) & sacks (4).
    Discouraged by:
    • AR had a horrendous first half, especially passing.
    • The offense had three turnovers.
    • The defense gave up big plays and third down conversions.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  17. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

18. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

19. red4512

red4512 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 4, 2010

Miller finished with 11 tackles, 10 of them solos and two of them for loss, and had the QB pressure on Missouri's final play that helped clinched the win.

20. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    By my count we've also had 10 fumbles/ints. I don't think that's enough to explain our inability to get a stop on third downs...