Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Missouri 17 at FLORIDA 24

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It definitely doesn’t suit him. It’s a mediocre offensive system period. I love CBN as a CEO but he’s weak as an OC.

Many recent mocks have him as a 1st round pick. Some have him top 10.

They have Will Levis as a top pick as well. College performance isn’t required to be a high pick.

2. Ofg8r

Ofg8r GC Legend

Dec 11, 2010
    Southern California
    Well, I wish you would give CBN the benefit of your expertise so he could design a better system.
    OTH, if your QB takes too long to read the defense, it really seems counterproductive to have a more sophisticated system.
    Mizzou's system must have been far superior because they converted 9/17 third downs, while the Gators converted 3/11. Some folks might question whether that was actually system related.

As for draft prospects; Tim Tebow would tell you that the most important quality they want is getting rid of the ball quickly to the right spot. They ruined his throwing motion trying to speed his delivery by a millisecond.
    Mock drafts are garbage; but, I guess some people find them entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    AR actually reads the field very well and is great at getting the ball out on time. So I’m not sure what your point is on that

He struggles on long drawn out play action but that is an additional skill set.

Many others are pointing out that we do not get our WRs in space, that they often end up running routes next to each other, and we don’t run coverage beaters. It’s incredibly vanilla and not QB friendly.

Your comment about me offering my services makes zero sense. You do realize coaches have different specialties right? That they all have blind spots.

And mock drafts are not worthless. They are pretty damn accurate in determining relative worth of a player to the NFL. I’m not saying AR is ready or that he’d be a productive NFL player. I’m not a scout. But the odds of a guy who is a projected mid first round pick in the middle of the season to fall off the cliff to late rounds is quite low. Sure it can and does happen, but the average mock ends up being pretty accurate

• Like Like x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    His pro career may very well be over before it gets started if his people push him before he's ready. Some of the things he needs to work on most are some of the biggest things to get you benched or cut, or prevent him from ever seeing the field. He is as talented as they come but still has accuracy issues, still.needs to learn to put more touch on the balls when needed, both those issues has caused him to throw as many INT's as TD's for his career. His apparent fragility will negate his running ability if he can't stay healthy. Poor accuracy, turning over the ball and staying on IR are sure fire ways to get cut as a young unproven QB. And unfortunately I fear at this point he is still a bit mentally fragile in regards to his confidence, if he ever got cut or demoted to practice squad not sure he bounces back from that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    i've heard that but didnt look like that on the broadcast.

7. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks, had not heard that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I think he is improving but he doesn’t “read the field” very well. He’s not bad but misses too many reads, especially with the backs on wheel routes. And there are times he over thinks plays which causes him to hold the ball too long. The Pearsall interception is a great example. Pearsall was open early, but for some reason AR didn’t let it go. Don’t know if he was waiting for someone deeper to come open or what. By the time he did throw the ball the defense had the time to recover.
    He’s a young QB with a ton of athleticism but he still has a long way to go!" I don’t think this is a bad system for him to be in, as others have eluded, but it takes a QB that makes quick accurate reads and he just isn’t there yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I don't get where you are coming from Matt
    Are you a Gator fan or a talent evaluator for the NFL?

You do realize this is a college site don't you?

Your interest seems to be all NFL driven.

Most here, are UF driven.

So your saying Napiers system does not work well for AR? Well neither did Mullens.

I'm curious how many coaching staffs you wish to burn through to "adapt" to ARs strengths?

Makes no sense to me.

Personally I think ARs issues are between his ears, as in reading defenses, compounded by the fact his body and health playing this game are questionable.

Some very talented players just can't handle the rigors of the game.

Again I want him to succeed, but 66 yards of passing offense or KY like performances will get UF nowhere, but beat, most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First thing (just to get it out of the way), see "Mizzou Analysis", and my last post (#103) to get to something more elaborate.

Now, to your post and your refute. So, Bradshaw was bad but they rode him until he became a HOF QB and that is your assertion as to why Napier was correct to keep AR in this past game, correct? May I ask (since you seem more knowledgeable than I on the subject), what exactly were the Steelers (actually Chuck Knoll's) options at QB during Bradshaw's rookie season? And if I am not mistaken, wasn't it Knoll's rookie season as a HC also? And, when he threw interceptions and generally played less-than-winning football, did he get disgusted at himself and attempted to learn from his mistakes (if they were indeed HIS mistakes and not those around him) or did he go into a mental shell? And then, what were the collective mindset of the Steeler fans during that season, was it "dammit, we are elite, screw this!" or was it more like "why can't we catch a damn break?". I doubt that you truly know (I recall the latter) but I am pretty sure about the temperament of the UF faithful (at least those who post on these and other forums) and it is definitely in the former.

And lastly, coaches used to get 5+years to clean up someone else's mess. Do you honestly believe any coach, college or pros, has that luxury today? Do you honestly think that another Frank Beamer is going to manifest? During the current incarnation of Uber-financed coaching and the NIL mess? REALLY?

If you read my post above, you will realize why I am replying to your posts...twice.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I’ll say this, he needs to be able to sink or swim more, imho. Let him sling it around, roll him out more with a directive to take off without hesitation if he doesn’t see anyone open. It’s almost like they have him running a prevent offense. Are they trying to mold into something he can’t be? Let him be Tenn AR, every game.

Here are the two stat lines for the QB’s last Sat:

A.Richardson
    8/14 66yds 1/1
    5 45yds

B.Cook
    22/30 220yds 0/2
    14 16yds

Brady Cook is also a RS with very little experience.

12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    As far as AR reading the field- I could cite many examples but just to name 1.
    On our first drive AR hit Shorter for a beautiful 20 yard gain. Fine.
    1 play later- 2nd and 9- AR stared down a well covered Shorter and threw a bad pass, which should have been picked. (On the left side of the field.)
    If AR had simply looked right, he had a back leaking out with NO ONE within 5 yards of him.
    A simple short pass would have netted at least 8, if not more, yards.
    Instead he forced it to a well covered WR which should have been picked. Thankfully it wasn't, and we punted.

If you re-watch the games and dissect AR's throws, he does this ALL THE TIME.
    He just doesn't see the field.
    He probably needs more time in college- which is no slight.
    But top 10 in the draft?? In 2023??? I can't see it, but I'm not an NFL guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Are you kidding me? Mizzou is a team that uses Kryptonite against us.
    We had the offense going for a bit:
    Last week we had 666 total offense
    The previous week it was 594

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. volungator

volungator All American

Last week we play a high school team and the week before we absolutely had to throw the ball around in order to keep up with the UT offense. AR could be a great college QB just being himself. Currently he's auditioning for the NFL.

15. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

Then don’t watch. Easy. And don’t come on here expecting the chorus to say ‘boy you are right. ‘

It’s my alma mater. One friend goes to EVERY Duke home game.

As a fan last year was light years more frustrating

muschump’s last season? worse

Zook losing to Miss State year? Worst

4-2. Just stop watching ok?

16. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The timeout was called right as the 4th down play ended, nobody was on the field yet for Mizzy, they were nowhere near ready to do anything.

Maybe he called the TO to make sure things were set but it had nothing to do with Mizzy being ready to snap the ball.

17. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    The fourth down ended with a FG. I guess you mean 3rd there?

End of 3rd down=Mizzou needing to rush to get the fg unit on the field. FL called timeout because they didn't have personnel for fg block on the field (dime personnel from previous play) and he wanted to get set for a block attempt. I don't know why there's this confusion. He explained it all during the press conference. He called a second time out to ice the kicker and then there was the delay for review to figure out the spot the ball.

I would have just rolled the dice with all those dbs on the field and have Mizz rush it. It would seem to me you'd get the chance to change personnel since they had to bring their kick team personnel on too. Maybe there's some rule I am unaware of near the end of the half/game IRT to allowing defense to change personnel with the clock running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    FYI only with no opinion. Through six games last year Gators had outscored opponents 199 to 99. This year 185 to 152.

19. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    High school team or not, the offenses under Muscle Cramp often couldn't perform against air. Those games at least proved we can sling it around. For whatever reason we didn't do it against Mizzou.

20. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    Just caught this weird freakout.

It's my alma mater, too. I'm allowed to find this frustrating. It's ok.