Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Las Vega Bowl -- FLORIDA vs. Oregon State

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Dec 17, 2022.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Honest question do you measure if some contributes?
    Is it only if they end up starting? Is it if they play all 4 years? Is it if they start as a sophomore?
    What’s the metric?

I’d like to see an analysis of how many guys don’t pan out for every team. Only then can one say we had more flops than what typical schools have.

Obviously not every recruit makes it and not every 4/5* is a great player.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    He does look weak on gameday. And he’s not analytical… in fact he appears the opposite of analytical. So I worry we are at a major schematic and tactical disadvantage

But:

1. he can learn and make good hires
    2. And he’s a very good recruiter

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Agree and perhaps he can learn as time goes on.
    There are few guys that can be HBC and OC and win consistently at a high level. SOS was ONE

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I looked at the rankings for recruiting classes under Mullen's tenure at UF.
    Mullen's classes ranked no worse than 14th. He had two classes at 9 and another one at 12. However, he never cracked into the top 8 classes like UGA, LSU,, and Alabama did.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I'm too lazy to do the analysis so if someone wants to they can set the bar for what counts. At a minimum there are a number of guys that never even played a down.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Senior

Nov 9, 2019
    On the contrary - I saw him make good adjustments in the 3rd quarter. Like rolling out Miller more in the 3Q which allowed him to throw better and get some yards. But if the OL is crap, it doesnt matter. When the team is bad, I dont think strategic acumen of the coach can be evaluated accurately.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Rivals had three years, but the difference is negligible, as is the arbitrary use of "top 8." Not a lot of difference between top 8 and top 12. The issue, however, is that none of these classes truly developed. That is ALSO a coaching responsibility, mixed in with some bad luck. It could also have been a case of the Mullen staff looking at stars, rather than research deeper to see the recruit's competition standard, etc.

Hell, bring Zook back. You know he'll recruit top talent, and as a player's coach, the top talent won't flee into the portal. Besides, those 8-5 seasons look pretty good compared to what we've had recently...

:D:):D

8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Spot on

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Redlands, CA
    I have not read the entire thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already...but what did we really expect?

The entire two weeks leading up to the game, most folks here seemed to know we'd get beat, seemed to think we should have not even bothered to play with so many players missing, and complained about how unfair it was for us to be matched up against a Top 15 opponent.

And then the game played out just like one might expect. A shorthanded team, up against a superior opponent, did not look good. Shocking.

So what are we so upset about?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think the single biggest issue that cost Hall his job was the revelation that he had made a child support payment for Jarvis Williams. Since we were on the NCAA hot seat at the time, the administration got rid of him as soon as they learned that.

BTW, Arnsparger (who fired Hall) was firmly opposed to hiring Spurrier. It took Ben Hill Griffin throwing some serious weight around to make that happen.

We'll never know what would have taken place if Hall wasn't fired early in the 89 season and coached the remainder. As much as I liked Galen, I can't say that anything that happened was bad for our program long term.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I remember someone suggested turning down the Sugar vs Oklahoma in 20.
    I thought it was the dumbest idea ever and he was roasted and giving a truckload of bacon.
    In hindsight he was 100% right.
    We should have turned that one down and this one.

Or we start taking them more seriously but the players and coaches seem uninterested in that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I think the issue is the way the team seemed be completely unprepared and without energy.

Most of us figured we would lose but it was the utter drubbing by an okay PAC12 team. Very similar to the game vs UCF.

The online only had one missing guy from the season where we ran very well most games to be manhandled and stuffed by Oregon State was disappointing to say the least.
    The break downs on special teams were of particular note, that’s not something you need five starts to be competent at.

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    While that may be true(not doubting you here), I would bet that happens at many top schools. Not every recruit qualifies, not every recruit is what they seem to be and not every recruit makes the field.

14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sounds like Mullen a bigwigs regards to not hob nob with the Bulls

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    I'm not talking "not every recruit," I'm talking a significant portion of Mullen's classes to the point where saying "look his classes were ranked half decent" is misleading because there was so much attrition.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    ST has sucked all year, I'm hoping this is a spot where Billy makes a change.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Wish I could rate your post winner and optimistic at the same….

18. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I totally forgot about the Child Support episode. A lot was going on back then.

RIP Jarvis Williams who passed away a few years ago due to an acute asthma attack.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Glad we agree that having come from a lesser conference is indicative of nothing. Perhaps people will stop bringing up the Sun Belt as if it's relevant.

20. doublewhammy

doublewhammy Junior

Nov 19, 2016
    I should point out that what you said is a logical fallacy so, no we do not agree.