Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Florida at Utah

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Aug 31, 2023.

1. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    That’s why I said worst since the Spurrier hire.

2. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Doug Nussmeier

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    Get the OL fixed and we’ll do less kicking, but the point you make remains valid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Hard to trust Napier when we have two number 3s on the same play then 8 players on the field another play

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. RipCurl

RipCurl Junior

Apr 7, 2010
    This is a good point. But, I think fans just want to see progress even if the result is still a loss. I don’t understand why this program can’t have a “normal” down year without the wheels completely falling off. Losing to better teams? Ok. Losing in abysmal fashion while the sideline looks clueless? This shouldn’t happen in a coach’s second year at a program of this caliber. Yet, I feel like we’re in for another season of just that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I attended several of the 1979 games when we went 0-10-1 and this year's team has a lot more talent. And I can think of a few other Gator teams that were pretty bad. I honestly think the 2023 team has more talent and depth overall than last year's team. But what I saw tonight was a lack of execution and too many mental mistakes, compounded by an offensive line that was terrible. I have always respected Utah under Kyle Whittingham. He gets more from less than almost any coach in the country. His teams always play hard, disciplined football and they execute their game plan with precision. We have the toughest schedule in the SEC, maybe in all of D1, and it's going to be hard to finish 6-6. Many were predicting 8-4 this year, but by losing tonight the Tennessee game becomes critical if we're going to have any kind of respectable year. We're supposed to be a running-based offense and we just couldn't get anything going consistently tonight. And I'm afraid that's how teams will play us. Pack the line of scrimmage and force Mertz to beat us. I thought he played pretty well tonight, considering he was under constant pressure and we couldn't run the ball. My main concern is that a bad season could run off some of the recruits we have committed to sign in December and that the #3 recruiting class will fall apart. If that happens, that's all she wrote for Napier.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. player101

player101 Recruit

Sep 17, 2022
    Hopefully Utah is just that good.

Side Note, when was the last time the Gators spend the whole year unranked (top 25)?

8. novabullgator

novabullgator Freshman

Aug 31, 2023
    We are already at Defcon1

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. novabullgator

novabullgator Freshman

Aug 31, 2023
    They were missing 8 starters...they are good, but we are really bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Don't think ANYONE would compare this team to arguably the most talented team in Gators history.... that's just silly. That team was built on the heels of winning our 2nd ever national title. This team was built by a new staff on the heels of 2 losing seasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The jersey number error is unacceptable. How a single coach didn’t notice to call a timeout.

That alone shows this staff has no idea what they are doing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    16 is Moten, our veteran transfer portal player from UM that was touted to help stop us from seeing exactly what we saw on that play.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    The lucky ones are the ones that didn’t have to watch that in person. I live in Utah but watching all the snotty Utah fans Gator chomping and singing the goodbye song as we drudged to the exit was about all I could take. If I had my finger on the nuke button I would have made the ultimate sacrifice so the rest of you could survive and start the rebuild.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Do we have a dedicated special teams coach? If so dock his paycheck for the entire month of September.

15. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    Fair enough.

Minus dumb penalties, a shanked punt and a missed field goal, I saw a lot of positives. More so than I expected

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. crt1985

crt1985 Freshman

Oct 11, 2014
    We need an experienced offensive coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    Looked bad, but honestly a young team will look like that. It only takes one guy to not do their job. This team really needed a warm up before going on the road against a good team. We aren't moving the LOS on either side of the ball, but OL is going to be the problem this year for our O. Mertz may have to have 40+ attempts a game.

Defense is improved, but we're still a year or two away. Wish we'd get the play calls in faster.

It's going to be a rough ride this year. I'm still all in, but would like to see an improved team by the end of the year. Still wish Napier would bring in an OC even if its just to run basically the same offense.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    The ‘08 team won a natty. What is the point? Nobody expects a natty this year with this talent. We all know that the talent is simply not there (no Tebow, harvin, etc). BUT, what about playing clean football? No false starts in the red zone? Not catching punts on the 3 yard line? The issue here is not talent but competency and coaching. Again, not giving up on Napier, but this was a continuation of poor discipline, execution, clock management, and gameplay from last year (though tackling did improve). Nobody expects the 08 team to roll out there, but this was far below par….

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Yeah that was tough and probably led to alot of the confusion on the O'Line as the center is their leader.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If that 24 recruiting class collapses we are ( expletive deleted).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1