Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Florida at Utah

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Aug 31, 2023.

1. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I appreciate the well thought out response. It seems to me like he is trying to do too many things at once, which is an easy fix. I just hope he comes to the realization it needs to be fixed rather than him saying “I just need to work harder” because he truly is doing too many things at once. Even jimbo finally hired an OC to call plays.

If he gave up play calling, then he can focus a lot more on the situational awareness and it might even make sense for him to continue to do special teams

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. seffnergator

seffnergator Sophomore

Apr 20, 2007
    seffner,fla.
    Was it SOS that said statistics are for losers?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I think that may have been partly due to the pressure Mertz was getting; the o-line did him no favors last night. He was sacked-what-5 times?

It's hard to get the ball downfield when you don't have time to throw.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    the true freshman had nothing to do with the blown coverage for a 70 yard td. It was a junior (Marshall) and a senior (Moten) who blew that play.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007

Then I would ask this question:

If all the negative posters do not create a "vibe" or have any impact on the program, then why do they keep doing it?

Do they just like to hear themselves bitch?

I think you greatly underestimate the power of the internet.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  6. gatorgrad87

gatorgrad87 Sophomore

Oct 10, 2018
    Your absolutely correct on this. Not so many years ago, a slow rebuild was possible. In the real world of today's CFB with NIL and the Portal, coaches have to produce quickly, or it's going to be next man up. Ten years ago, coaches needed only to concentrate on recruiting HS kids as transfers were few. Now, with the portal, a team can fall apart overnight, and HS recruits are going to take note. It's only going to get more difficult to recruit elite talent if the product on the field doesn't produce. Asking fans and boosters to be patient is one thing, asking recruits (and elite players on your team) to do the same is not going to happen.

It sucks, but it's the new world of CFB...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    As the game progressed we got better both on offense and defense, that's indicative of a 1st game jitters. The penalties still killed us with stalled drives but we were the better team in the 2nd half. Just kept shooting our selves in the foot after digging a 1st half hole. I'm ready to see how we rebound from this OOC.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    Catharsis.

9. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
  10. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I think you are correct, we all could be better,
    but,
    more concerning with the power of the Internet is that every sports show out there is saying we are a coaching clown show. We really need to have a McNease rout followed by a strong TN game to reset the clock. Otherwise the recruiting narrative will be set. We really need a good class.

11. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The time out before the half was to force a punt vs letting Utah run the clock down, cal timeout , and attempt a Hail Mary

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    I think it's more the sports articles in all the newspapers, youtube, twitter, facebook etc that are talking about the program that have more sway. I don't see gatorcountry having much reach out in the world. What's the user base on here? How many visits from unique IPs etc? Compare that to the reach of any of the other platforms listed that have worldwide reach.

13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    No one including Tennessee knows how that game is gonna go as I'm sure NOBODY expected USCe last year, a team our putrid defense held to only 6 points to hang 63 points, i repeat 63 points on the Vols. And that was while they were being touted as a potential SEC title challenger. So again each game from week to week can bring different results depending how the teal actually plays. If titles were won with talk in the the preseason Tenn would be undefeated every year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Look, I'm not a fan of the neggy's, but let's be real.

Do you really think recruits are influenced by what they might read on a site like this, even 1/1,000,000th of factors such as the coaches, what the coaches say and promise to them, now NIL, what they see with their own eyes on the gridiron, on campus, stadiums, TV following, facilities, and such?

Perhaps you flatter yourself wrt the influence we have around here.

We are little more than the noxious fumes GatorNation expels from its nether region during acute episodes of flatulence precipitated by particularly unsavoury meals consumed prior thereto.

The closest we come to effecting recruits' view of GatorNation, is in gauging interest--whether by bitching or cheer leading, they see and feel volume and passion.

That is our meager contribution to the process, as measured by what we do here, on a public message board.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    When you have a Gator Pod saying the Coaching staff needs to show they can develop players before even getting into recruiting. They went deeper but that was the gist. That is a narrative with a broader reach that will be used recruiting against us. Big time stress on the coaches to go with the $$$

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Rawpimple

Rawpimple GC Hall of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Hey CanadaGator142069 on GC said the Gators special teams looked like a bunch of amateurs out there, in the in-game thread, that garnered 2 agrees and 3 fist bumps.

I ain’t going there now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Watched some highlights, because I couldn’t find a hammer to hammer my big toe, and that was as bad a mauling of an OL that I’ve seen. Utah was just pouring rushers into our backfield.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Time to repeat what I have requested plenty of times. IMO, there should be three threads, post-game:

1) Yay Team!
    2) Where are My Pitchforks!!
    3) Upon Further Review...

What you are inferring (and I completely understand) is a place to get it out of your system. What I do NOT want is for every positive (or discerning) post, there are several "this is BAD" kind of posts. Just post it where it belongs, and let the mods move it there if it isn't. And then I can stay away from "that place" if I choose to. Problem solved!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    Are you asking why people are giving opinions on a message board and other social media?

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007

I have no interest in "flattering" myself.

But I DO think that recruits pay attention to message boards; kids are on social media all the time. It is a HUGE influence in their lives

The flatulence analogy is curious; I can only surmise that you had a bad bean burrito day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1