Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Florida at Utah

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I already can hear it... "Mertz threw for over 300 yards!" And it netted us 11 points. Really should have been 3 because that was an incomplete pass on 4th down. We aren't going to be successful with Mertz throwing from behind all game. Need to RUN THE DAMN BALL! Montrell had 3 carries smh. What the hell is that? How many 2nd down sacks did we have that turned into 3rd and longs? Napier out here coaching like he went and got Sam Hartman or Hudson Card in the portal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mertz looked slow and indecisive... that has to change. Where's that 2 minute offense...or the hurry-up offense?

He was slow as molasses... Coaching slow... gives you game-time slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    Man, that was some poor coaching tonight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorKWM

GatorKWM VIP Member

Feb 1, 2010
    That team was not properly prepared to play - plain and simple. I like Billy, but jeez Louise!

As an aside, I don’t care how far that Aussie punter can kick as long as he continues to shank every 4th or 5th punt.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cdngator411

cdngator411 All American

Oct 28, 2017
    OL needs a lot of work. Napier play calling, urgency and clock management are unacceptable.

Upside, defense overall looked better. More pressure needed but solid start. Wilson looks electric on offense. Mertz with a bit more time is just fine. Not elite sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Why did Florida stop running the ball with Montrel Johnson? I did not think that Florida would throw the ball as much as they did.

M.Johnson 3/6 yards
    T.Etiiene 7/25 yards

Mertz: 31/44 333 yards 1 TD 1 Int

8. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I want to talk about Napier’s in-game coaching.

Not about bis CEO skills, or the relationships he builds, or how he recruits, or how he carries himself.

He is paid millions of dollars to COACH football.

I see absolutely nothing in his playcalling that isn’t pedestrian.

I see no halftime adjustments. I don’t see him making marginal players better and squeezing every possible ounce of production from them.

I don’t see him scheming to beat a superior opponent.

I don’t see player discipline, sound fundamentals, or anyone playing above their talent level.

I saw absolutely no difference between tonight and the Las Vegas Bowl. None. He changed the roster supposedly for the better. Why then can we not play better? Not even talking about winning, just not looking like hot garbage.

14 games in and I cannot tell what our identity is on offense or defense. The program isn’t in a constant state of flux, it’s in a constant state of inertia.

If a coach is going to make it, at some point you have to start playing good football, even if a superior team beats you. 14 games into his tenure and we have yet to approach average football. Flashes of talent followed by bonehead decisions is not good football.

• Agree x 16
    • Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I think Mertz will get better as the season goes on. Of course that will dépend on the OL getting better as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. airgator96

airgator96 All American

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    We really shot ourselves in the foot to night.

This was a game we could have won with better coaching and when I say coaching it was the discipline aspects that killed us the most.

I do not think we could of run on Utah tonight, because our Oline looked terrible.

Mertz, I give a grade of a C. He was under a lot of pressure. He had a huge mistake with the clock early in the game.

The defense is going to be solid this year, not great, but not what it has been.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Did he call the timeout to call Doug Nussmeyer for that 4th down play? And that was the primary play not the check down. As long as BN makes the offensive calls we are at best a six win team…and for god sake special teams needs addressed immediately

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I just don’t like the design of the offense, it’s rudimentary, all the motion is nonsense, it looks like something Furman would run. I love Billy, he’s not all that as a OC though, nor is anyone else on the staff. This was a chit show, imho.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    We have to get plays in faster in the 2 minute offense and we needs some plays that don’t include motion. Way too much wasted time pre-snap in the short clock situations.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. GatorInBham

GatorInBham Junior

Jan 7, 2010
    Usually when people say there were a few plays that made the difference they’re exaggerating, but we were really a few plays (penalties) away from making this a real contest or even being ahead by a couple possessions.

All that said, this one stings because Utah didn’t look all that invincible and the second half stats show that.

Utah played mediocre and FL managed to find a way to play worse.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    I’m looking for a silver lining. Mertz surprised me. He completed 70% of his passes. His one interception hit his best receiver who failed to turn around on time. Mertz was the bright spot on offense.

No running game and the OL false starts while giving up sacks like Tee Martin is behind them was the offensive issue. I would not have predicted that our running game would be a liability after last year. Did the loss of the starting center make that much of a difference?

Defense held Utah to 270 yards at home and less points than last year. The game appeared snake bit in the timing of issues that led to the loss. Hopefully they feel this loss and use it to clean up the errors.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    In the last 6 or 7 minutes we looked slow and lethargic... was it the altitude? Or have we NOT practiced the hurry-up offense at all?

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. illinoisgatorsfan

illinoisgatorsfan Junior

Nov 4, 2017
    Since all my previous posts have been edited, let me say it again. Hire an OC!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Combine the worst qualities of Muschamp and McElwain, then you got CBN

• Agree x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1