Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Florida at Utah

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Aug 31, 2023.

1. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    That is the problem. This is not game 1 of this staff but game 1 of season 2. You expect that “the system” of accountability shows dividends in year 2. We can live with the bomb or the freshman catching punts inside the 5. The illegal formation, false starts, shovel pass to a tight end with no chance, the bubble screen on 4th/14, the illegal participation, etc,? I am hoping he is not pig headed like Mullen but he needs to fix that crap or he will suffer the same fate.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    Ok my bad for not picking up on that. Really dumb stuff like catching punts on the 3, a player not switching number on a special teams play, 2 critical down false starts by the same O-lineman, receivers lining up offsides on critical downs… those should and will be corrected. Nothing will ever be 100%, hopefully you acknowledge that bec these are kids and things during the game are happening real time in real life with a play clock. But if that volume of dumb stuff is still happening by game 3 or 4 I’ll be disappointed.

3. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    I need to watch the bubble again but looked like the two other receivers had their blocks on and EW3 was going to be the intended receiver, right? He makes a man miss he could pick up 14.
    Shovel passes always look dumb when they don’t work

4. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Big improvement is supposedly between Game 1 and 2, let’s see if we are more organized against Tenn.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    OK, I can roll with that. I just won't be able to handle another year of "Well it's only AR's X number start" if we don't show signs of improvement. I want BN to fix these things, he has the abilities to build a program, but if the GameDay is subpar all that other stuff doesn't matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I’m not sure why we waste precious seconds on ball fakes in obvious passing situations. Not fooling anyone. Should put back in motion to at least spread field and maybe require a LB to cover the RB.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Honestly, the team Napier left, ULL, will probably beat this UF team

8. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. chunks1

chunks1 GC Legend

Jan 2, 2014
    A continuation of a horrid 5 and 7. 4 wins this year maybe.

10. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Not an efficient team right now. We’re not what you’d call a tough out. Thought we’d be making teams earn everything instead of continually shooting ourselves in the foot. We are Barney Fife right now. Disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. saintslfc13

saintslfc13 Sophomore

Aug 20, 2008
    I saw the same thing on that bubble screen. If the ball gets there Wilson definitely has a chance at getting 14 and maybe more. I understand the reasoning behind it, I mentioned it in the game chat but the o-line hadn't shown the ability to block any longer developing routes so call the screen to try to take advantage of the pass rush. Much like you said about the shovel passes screens also look stupid when they don't pay off, same with draw plays on long downs.

Having said all that, I don't really like that call in that spot though mainly because of how late in the game it was and the circumstances of the game. It's one of those "perfect execution" type of plays, and that just didn't happen all night for us. Add into it how Mertz was clearly feeling the pressure I think we would've been better off trying a more traditional kind of pass. Then again that's what we did on 3rd and we got sacked. It is what it is. O-line really let us down and that's really the biggest thing that needs to improve for this offense. Completely different game if the line is even 50% better tonight.

12. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    we need an O Coordinator. CBN is not an offensive guru. Very few coaches in todays SEC call their own O or D.
    D efinite improvement on the D side

We need an O coordinator.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought we had one, Rob Sale, he just doesn't call plays. What we need is a play caller, even if it's just some graduate assistant or citizen volunteer up in the booth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Did Mizell or Andy Jean play?

What about Bordingham?

For all the hype in the offseason, I didn't see them on the field.

15. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Not only that, we had more roster turnover this offseason than I can ever remember.

These new players that are supposedly all hand-picked and vetted hy Napier to fit his culture and his system are making the same mistakes that las year’s players made. Thst means Napier either fails to identify and correct it, or his methods and tactics lead to an over-abundance of these penalties and mistakes.

Either way it is clearly a symptom of our coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    At least we won’t fall in the rankings. how’s that for sunshine?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ncgator015

ncgator015 Senior

Jun 23, 2022
    Why did we start a freshman at safety?

Utah knew this and called the play to burn him.

Inexcusable. He may be the fastest but totally lacks experience.

Shame on you Armstrong.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Bear Bryant said for every freshman you start expect to lose 1 game.

And yet it was Moten who got roasted, not Castell.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 8
  19. ofmgator12

ofmgator12 Senior

Jul 23, 2022
    Did not see game because Disney pulled the plug on Spectrum at 8PM right after the pregame show. Disney sucks!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. ncgator015

ncgator015 Senior

Jun 23, 2022
    Spectrum pulled the game. A d*ck fight between two billionaire families who need another yacht.