Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: FLORIDA at Missouri

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's strange that you use that exact percentage becasue on twitter some math clown posted that on 4th and 17 we had a 99.9% chance of winning this game. Can you believe those odds...

I want to know who designed and called the defense on that freaking play? Is that up to the DC or is there a power struggle coming from the older coaches on defense. That was a pathetically called and designed play on 4th and 17.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It sounds like he was sort of saying that, Skink, without actually saying it.

@gatorade, respectfully, I would love for you to expound on your insider perspective. As a fan I hope Napier is given at least until the 2025-26 season to show what he can do. Are you implying that might not happen? Or maybe just that Dr Sasse will be more "involved" with the football program (recommending specific changes, etc)?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thanks Doc. You said it better

4. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Definitely poorly executed, looked like miss alignment over burden. The biggest bust was not getting a TO after 3-17. Rush 4,5,6 doesn't matter face up, jam and trail burden and the WR that burned us at least 1 high safety depending on how many we blitzers sent. Especially with how bad the throws on earlier downs were with the hint of pressure.

I havent gone back and watched we definitely played too deep and werent in a position to break up on the ball.

For all those wanting to be more aggressive when we had the ball what did you want to see pass/inc, WR reverse for TD (already used it) the last 2 times we ran the jet sweep with 1 and 3 it got blown up, Zone read we only ran it to the left earlier in the drive and we were on the wrong hash. So where are all the alternate play suggestions to be more aggressive that everyone could live with if they blew up.

Imagine the uproar if we threw a pick or inc and the narrative would be idiot run and make miz use their TOs we had a FG in the bag.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    The play-action rollout we run at least 3-4 times a game with Mertz. Safe pass to the TE if they come up at Brown, and a running lane if they drop back to cover the pass. Plus Brown is so much faster than Mertz that there is a good chance he gets the edge easily and doesn’t have to throw a pass. It is so much better than running into a stacked box where every Missouri player is waiting.

We played into our tendencies and the Missouri D ate it up. The issue with how Napier called it is he went ultra-conservative like he has done multiple times in the past, with similar results. If he tried something different, then most fans would understand that and respect it. That would show he was playing to win the game, instead of playing not to lose it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    With all respect i covered the fanatic response that would have ensued taking into account the negative plays incomplete pass sack etc it would be just as deafening here. The fumble play was likely a roll out like you propose based on action, timing and ball location how did that work. I gave optional plays that were used and their recent success or lack of, the blame is on a 4th down call simple not the series you question.

Had miz shredded us on 1st down for 4-5 plays like from 4th on looking back with your analysis would be easier maybe warranted. Just for comparison we were bailed out with 2 circus catches by jackson one on a 4th down sh!t happens

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The great defenses to me either have exceptional open field tackling and play disciplined assignment football, or they're extremely fast and swarm to the ball.

Our defense from 2012-2016 was the latter.

But both require being good up front. If you can't get pressure in the pass game or penetration in the run game, your defense is going to have a hard time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    And unfortunately gotten penalized and arrested for it considering the direction of modern football.

This is not 2008. We can't teach kids to hit like Major Wright. Not saying I like it, just sobering reality.

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Maybe a bit, but I remember the Florida offenses in '05 and '06, being a heck of a lot more about drop-back passing than the offenses from '07 and '08.

Then there's the Kyle Trask offense in 2020. Did he run the ball? Yes. But Mullen knew he didn't have Tim Tebow (the optimal Mullen QB) under center and he never pretended he did.

Even when Lagway comes, I suspect we're still not going to run a lot of options. It's going to be more about using his mobility through bootlegs and things like that.

10. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Although RP took a hell of a shot on a reception late in the game the broadcast glossed right over

11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I did see at least two designed runs in two drives when Brown went in, so, I think you will see that from Napier in the future with a real dual-threat QB. Probably see some against fsu, too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gatorade

gatorade All American

Oct 21, 2014
    I think I have said all I have to say about this to you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Watch the play, if #34 drops back 5 more yards, close to the first down line, the play is dead. Play calls will never work if the players don't get in the right position. As far as who designed it, it was a pretty basic zone, so probably someone who isn't even alive anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    The best argument for keeping BN ↓ (From @jbuddavis, post pic to avoid twitter issues, only title winners circled). Hopefully he can recruit enough talent for our next coach to be successful.
    [​IMG]

15. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    From a former gator to add insult to injury.

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well, other than telling me you’re a Bull Gator and naming Dr. Sasse, you actually haven’t said much. I’m not trying to pick an argument with you - really. But there isn’t much I can take away from your posts. If you’d give it another try I’d be interested in hearing what you have to say. Your call

Go Gators

17. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    How is running the clock down, forcing them to use timeouts when already in field goal range to take the lead with around 1:40 left in the game not playing to win?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Everyone is giving their opinions after the fact knowing how the game turned out. Napier didn’t have that luxury and decided to run the ball, and clock, to force them to use up their time-outs knowing he pretty much had the FG in the bag. Which if ETN stays in bounds it would have worked perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Its the echo chamber of noise after the fact i agree. The outcome provably doesn't change bc miz uses their kast timeout there. They didnt stop a running clock on offense with the TO it was used prior to 3rd after an incompletion maybe no change definitely didn't alter the clock time might gave changed play calling by miz no way to tell

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    This is simply not true. I and multiple other posters were in the game thread complaining that Napier was clearly playing for the field goal as soon as Brown got us into range. A couple posters even specifically said that the defense would not hold them if we kicked a field goal. One more first down would have allowed us to kick a field goal with almost no time on the clock.

Billy did exactly what Mizzou hoped he would do: play it safe with 3 runs to ETN and go for the kick.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1