Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: FLORIDA at Missouri

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Nov 18, 2023.

1. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson GC Legend

Aug 10, 2007
    I was there and the fans around me were as proud as as hell for our Gators. What more do you want, guys?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I would say, this week's rendition of Kentucky and not the one we played. I would also say, using the NFL as a "go-by", any team is capable of destroying another team on any given game. It is all about the makeup the the teams (offense versus defense) and their motivations/biorhythms and not their respective records. Great teams have enough horsepower/leadership to overcome bad mojo whereas the middling teams - or worse - have to hope that your mojo is a bit better than your opponents.

• Like Like x 2
  3. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I struggle to see this as a pick but one of our better safeties would've absolutely separated that dude from the ball and perhaps from this plane of existence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    We are getting better! It is a process for a very young team.

Be patient.

We will win but it will take some time to get all the way there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Good luck with that.

I thought that's what the last 2 years have been. It certainly not about w/l.

7. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Today you could most likely add 15 yards to the end if they played the same way. May as well add Tony Lilly to that group.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I thought the play at the end of the first half was OK. They had 3 TO left. You have to play a little conservative there as we had done nothing since the first drive. I thought at the end of the game he played scared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pogba

pogba Junior

Nov 28, 2013
    Sapp and Mcclellan Sophmores too. And leading tacklers are a true freshman and a sophmore. Pretty obvious there is a very large gap in age and experience.

10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So, throwing the ball at the last play of the half would have gotten intercepted and they would have used the 3 TOs to have made the refs call it 1/2 second left for three plays? Okay. I think I understand your way of thinking.

Just not my way of thinking.

11. StonewallJawkson

Aug 10, 2007
    Reggie F’in Nelson, thank you.

12. StonewallJawkson

Aug 10, 2007
    As I recall, Mullen was slow to change his scheme to fit his personnel. Do you remember when he tried to force fit Chris Leak into a running spread qb?

13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Louis Oliver would have rang that bell.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. StonewallJawkson

Aug 10, 2007
    I remember an interview with Louis Oliver.
    Q: What do you like about football?
    A: I like to hit people.
    Q: What was your favorite moment?
    A: This receiver was coming across the middle. I hit him so hard he has to be helped off the field.
    Q: Thank you, Louis.
    A: And this other time I hit this guy…
    Q: THANK YOU, Louis.

15. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Wow, 25 pages discussing a game that has zero affect on your life, unless you are foolish enough to gamble. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    But Tony would have hit him out of bounds ;)

17. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    No. It was risk reward. We had done nothing since the first drive in the 1st half. If we throw the ball on the first play and miss, we run no clock. They call TOs the next 2 downs unless it is short yardage. If we run the ball on the first play, we still have 2 downs. They will not call a timeout. Running and shortening the clock When They Have 3 Timeouts is understandable and the right call.

If you break one or get a first down on the 2nd or 3rd play, you are in business.

I never said it would be intercepted. The risk is we punt and their 61 yard FG kicker gets a kick to put them up 2 scores. I thought BN did the right thing there.

At the end, I thought we needed to be more aggressive for the same reason. If you kick a FG and leave them with 1:30 with 1 or 0 TO, I thought they would find a way to kick a FG. They did.

There is no guarantee that if we score TD, we win. I think the right thing to do would be to TRY to score a TD. I do not think we did. I think we left it in the defense hands and they failed as they have most of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re a Bull Gator and invest a lot of money in our program. I respect and appreciate that. Thank you for your service to our team.

That said, what is the point you’re trying to make? You seem to be suggesting a short leash for Coach Napier — like in less than a year if we come up on the short side of .500 next season. I passionately disagree with that impatient, impractical attitude, especially from a Bull Gator. So, is that where you’re coming from, or are you sharing insights that seem counter to what we’ve been hearing?

FWIW, I brought up Bull Gators because what you were posting sounded like it was coming from an impatient fan, not a Bull Gator. I stand corrected

Go Gators

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    We played the 11th ranked team (I think!) in their stadium at night and almost beat them with a lack of experienced talent and our starting qb getting knocked out. I think that is an encouraging sign. If we keep this recruiting class and show improvement next year, BN will be here for at least another 2 years. It’s his 4th year that he really needs to start wining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes it's rare enough that the few that succeeded are quite well known. You're not hurting my point. Can you get some good players? Sure, but for the most part the best players are already at the school they'll play for.