Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: FLORIDA at Missouri

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Nov 18, 2023.

1. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The end of first halfs- for two seasons now, shows us Billy is not really going to maximize every possession like Spur dog did. In this game in particular -big underdog against a highly rated team, at their place, and we need a win to get bowl eligible- if we don't let it rip this game then when?
    I really, really like Billy the man and Billy the life teacher. I applaud his values and how he represents UF and loves his players. But when we are the favored, more talented, highly ranked team with a lot to lose- do you think he is going to get more aggressive trying to score or more conservative? I'm thinking of so many coaches (even Urban) who get more conservative when their talent level rises. I hope I'm wrong and Billy turns the offense loose next season.
    As for our defense.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    Last night was my worst, besting the horrific defense vs LSU.
    It’s kind of hard to choose amongst many contenders.

• Like Like x 1
  3. audiogatorjim

Mar 15, 2009
    Exactly what I believe too but I get chastised and my posts altered or deleted. You got the rep!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. audiogatorjim

Mar 15, 2009
    While I do agree with you, Billy has to navigate around a porous defense and mistakes, turnovers, etc. Last night, he was conscious of playing an inexperienced QB (who was sensational) so I’m thinking he played it conservatively. Whether he always coaches like this I can’t say as he has the horrid defense most every game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    I agree Bobby. I can think of a couple of position groups that have young talent and transfers that we have not seen any improvement from this season.

Development is just not there with the players that should be improving.

6. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    I’ve got it on good authority from a source close to SEC brass that we are going to start getting bonus points to start games because of all our freshman playing. It’s quite clear to everyone that the system isn’t fair to us as it is. Keep an eye out for the changes. Any day now. Might not help this year but will pay dividends next year.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    From CBN's introductory press conference:

What type of football team do we want to have here? We're going to start with the things that we totally control. Our trademark will be our physicality. We'll be in great condition. We'll be known for how hard we play. We'll be disciplined. And we will eliminate careless play -- turnovers, penalties, mental errors. We're going to be sound and we're going to attack in all three phases.

Simply put, we want to be the other team that the other team dreads to play.

I'd suggest that we still have a long ways to go to match those expectations for physicality and elimination of careless play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yes, I think you have to judge the situation as a whole.

If Mullen had a top 5 class coming in and looked to be taking steps to try and fix things, he'd probably still be the coach here. He's not just gone because he lost games, he's gone because he quit on the job.

Unless you have a clear "savior" waiting in the wings, I think we need to keep Billy as long as there's hope and as long as there's light at the end of the tunnel. What does that mean? To me, it means recruiting and making changes as necessary. Mullen left a pretty bare cupboard. We need to be better up front (on both sides of the ball) which typically takes time to develop.

The lack of elite OL recruiting is concerning, but I think we need to be a little more patient. Not saying there's no way it would be a good call to fire him next season, but we need to recognize how difficult it is to hire "the next Spurrier" or "the next Meyer." We had our pick of the litter and got our guy with Muschamp. He failed. We were between Jim McElwain and Josh McDaniels (from what I heard) for 2015, McElwain failed and McDaniels likely would have failed. In the cycle after that, the sexy names were Kelly, Frost, and Mullen. All of which failed, and all of which are fired now. Better to let your guy cook if you can still see him righting the ship than to take another trip to the roulette table on your next coach crush under the overwhelming likelihood that he will fail too.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  10. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder Senior

Jun 23, 2023
    The boys have shown a lot of fight in these past few losses. Several things are clear in regards to their deficiencies, but, another thing is clear and that is Napier has not lost the team. These guys are in the middle of one of the worst stretches in recent Gator history and all you see is fight out of them. We are bad in crucial spots and that hits hard with stuff competition. Can one recruiting class fix these issues? Will Napes clean up in the portal and right the ship? The fight the guys have shown is an indicator that he might be able to get it done. Only time will tell. I have hope for next year, especially if Mertz returns as he has played phenomenally well.

Go Gata

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm not sure if this should make me feel better, but it does.

It tells me Billy knows what this team needs, he just hasn't been able to have that vision realized yet. Will that vision ever be realized? Time will tell. I mentioned OL recruiting earlier, but as others have pointed out... I think his staff has done a great job of identifying OL talent, they just haven't done a great job of closing on it.

We have to start getting hits there if we want Billy ball to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Our awful defense boggles my mind. 11 games in and they’re no better than at the start of the season. Help me understand please, how the guy who established LSU as the legit “DBU” can’t do shit with our secondary after damn near 3 months of live game action? Is CR over the hill, is it AA’s defense? What the hell is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Would have easily beat Kentucky too with last nights effort, at least in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I don't know if this type of crap can be excused anymore. I just turn the tv off every time the defense is on this situation to spare me from breaking the tv.
    Stupid me I will always turn it back on. Sure enough it's a blown 4th and long again!!!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Well said, at the end of the day, everyone knows what our defense is, young, banged up, simply not very good. While Mizzou has a top offense and a fantastic kicker. Given that info, a FG with 1+ minutes left should be the last resort, not the goal.

And yes, I would be defending BN if he attempted a pass. I will always support an aggressive call. The only way it doesn't make any sense is if the FG would put us up by 8 or more, so essentially the FG makes losing in regulation impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. duckus

duckus Recruit

Nov 30, 2008
    The Napier squad vastly improved their away game play last night. Big step up. It showed us that we have the ability to fight against a more talented team in their home. In being realistic about the big picture, I can see an 8 or 9 win squad in 2 years. Coach has shown that he can get us there.

We had better seasons under Muschamp, McElwain, and Mullen, but I see a strong foundation being built--good mental fortitude and teamwork. This is what has been lacking since SOS. It will take growing pains, but we'll get there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I'll bet there is not a team in the country with a similar record over the last three (17-20) as the Gators that get this much fan discussion. Hang in there, things will eventually get better. Go Gators.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    An example of him being aggressive and playing to win being successful is not the burn you think it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the Torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I dislike losing, but don't assign blame for it. Was it bad play, bad coaching or was I wearing the wrong Gator shirt?

A game this close comes down to small things. The fumble by Brown which then led to a Missouri TD. Etienne going out of bounds stopping the clock. Not getting pressure on their QB on 4th and 17. Things happen and lessons are learned.

I feel bad for the team. They are trying hard and improving. They were really close to pulling off the upset, but sometimes things just don't work out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts say hello.