Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: f$u

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Nov 25, 2023.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Both, you don't build multiple national championship teams being good at some things, you do it while good at everything, or at least surrounding yourself with people who can make up for your weaknesses. Alabama has won championships with dominant D and running the rock as well as when they tossed the ball around the yard to the point a WR actually won the Heisman.

As for Smart, we hired a D coordinator who ventured to learn under Kirby and to mold his defenses off of him. Not to mention he is on track for 3 in row. You're trying to make the argument that a ho hum game day coach is on track to win 3 straight national titles for the first time since Minnesota in 1934-36? Makes absolutely no sense.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Neither. It is leadership and setting the tone. Winning begats winning. Teams that win tends to draw top recruits like flies...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Senior

Jan 10, 2014
    North Mississippi
    Wish I could triple rep this. Posts rarely make me literally laugh out loud, but congrats on that.

4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I don’t remember every specific play over 30 years but since you asked - how about Tony George getting ejected from a game vs FSU before the game even started for throwing a football at fsu coach (during a pregame brawl). Was that discipline for you? George then started the bowl game. Urban Meyer had the fear of discipline so ingrained that some coaches and players got drunk before the sec title game, causing Dunlap to fall asleep at the wheel and miss the game. Wasn’t on field but off field that impacted the on field game. Gator fans love the eye gouge we gave bulldog RB in 2008. but technically that is poor sportsmanship.

im guessing you liked Jimmy Macs version of disciplining players as he screamed like a lunatic at Kelvin Taylor after the throat slash that cost 15 yards? And all of the sports world came down on Mac. Could be Napier put his arm around 95 and spoke sweet nothings or said “big mistake, you will be running stairs for eternity. That is not what we do around here.” Different players (and people) respond to different methods of coaching. Rivalry games can bring out the worst in players - it is a tight rope to balance it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Yep, FSU is a terrible unbeaten team.
    They will get crushed if they make the playoff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    fwiw, Tony George didn’t throw the football in Bobby Bowden’s direction (didn’t hit him), Doug Johnson did, and called BB on Tuesday and apologized. George and 2 semi players were tossed before the game for the brawl, that involved 100+ players.

"I had absolutely no specific target," Johnson said. "It all happened in the heat of the battle. In no way was I aiming for Coach Bowden."

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I noticed that last night as well, been to dozens of home games vs rivals, never saw so many “visitors” in the stands. Particularly on the alumni side last night.

8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

9. GATORAJE

GATORAJE GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    AWESOME , with perfect amount of sarcasm !!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson GC Legend

Aug 10, 2007
    I remember Keiwan Ratlief throwing the ball into the stands after an interception. I remember Brandon Spikes dropping the ball before crossing the goaline (not a penalty, just stupid). I remember Spikes kicking the ball into the stands and so should you since it was part of a highlights compilation shown at the stadium on Saturday. Apparently that kind of thing is celebrated at Florida these days.

All were ludicrous. None had any purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    There will be better days...

Napier will make adjustments. He has said as much. He knows the clock is ticking and the ticks are getting louder!

All we can do is sit and wait. My guess is we'll get some kick-ass players in the class. We already have. We'll get some more. There might be some staff changes. There will be portal additions. A gaggle of kids will leave. And, most of the kids leaving will be because of graduation, and lack of playing time. The players coming in are gonna be studs. We have some injured guys waiting to play next year. A great JC RB, and some defensive studs. There is one defensive back, forget his name , he played on Saturday, has been out for a while. That kid is $. He'll take over next year.

The kids want to be a part of what we're building. You build the dream, they will come. Napier will make the changes.

We're all pissed and disappointed. I have faith. I guarantee Napier knows what to do.

Go Gators.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    So you gonna honestly say there was never any unsportsmanlike conduct, punches thrown, players ejected, etc. you know the ludicrous nonpurpose ones during anytime under Meyer or SOS?

13. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    By 8 whole yards? Lol.

Actually FSU had more total yards but on their final drive they took three straight QB kneel downs that lost them 12 yards, and that's what gave us the tiny yardage edge.

And when you add in the fact we were up in yards 141-10 early in the second quarter, it's hard to celebrate any yardage stat knowing FSU dominated from that point forward.

Our defense played well, but it's clear we got very lucky we didn't have to face Jordan Travis. That is a completely different offense without him, and I think they will get beat by Louisville (or clobbered in the CFP).

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If Kirby could win with equal talent, maybe he should try the nfl. Of course he’s a good coach and runs a tight ship but he’s won by outtalenting everyone, not by innovation or being some kind of savant playcaller.. he’s had the best recruiting is what has separated his teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    And it's easy to "run a tight ship" when you're 3 deep at every position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Richt won ten games every year because he was a decent coach and had top 10 classes every year. He never had the consecutive classes tgat Kirby has had. If he did, maybe he wins some titles too. I just watch the Los and you already know who has a decided advantage. It’s hard to win much if you can’t hold your own up front.

17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    No. But there were way fewer stupid penalties. Take spikes kicking the ball in the stands. We were routing them.

Maybe the difference is those teams were good enough to be dumb AND win. However, I don’t remember the self immolation under them at critical times like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    You mean recruiting boosted by paid trips to strip bars in nice SUVs provided by the school equipped with coed chauffeur/attendants?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I disagree...people can still see the warts even though the team might have won. We saw lots of warts in Muschamp's 2012 season (mostly on O) despite the stellar record. I guess you probably know what happened the very next year....those warts morphed into L's.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    FSU is not a good team. They will get rolled in the playoffs, if they even make it in. Norvell is a piece of crap if he gator-chomped us. He was the weak link in the first half, calling a terrible game. He played to our few strengths for most of the night. Fsu fans and band were complete jerks in the stadium last night. Your time in the spotlight will be short-lived. To hell with fsu.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1