Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Eastern Washington 17 at FLORIDA 52

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Oct 2, 2022.

1. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    And I kept hearing about all these ‘great’ players we have before the season started.

2. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    I lean towards the defensive scheme having an impact on how those players look. We play way off receivers and give large cushions way too often. If you give a 10 yard cushion and are backpedaling at the snap, that 5-10 yard out will be there every single time for an easy completion. I am not a fan of soft zone, especially against current spread offenses.

Some were comparing how they played against Oregon to how they played against us. Oregon plays a much more attacking style of defense than we do. Same thing with Pitt against UT’s offense. Too often it seems that opposing offenses dictate to our defense, and we rarely adjust.

I would like to see the film breakdown for this game and what led to them picking up all that yardage and the difficulty in getting them off the field. The offense has shown improvement and the scheme has been modified to better fit the players. I don’t know if we have seen similar adjustments on the defensive side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yes, I do not doubt that the team, baring key injuries, will play better at the end of the season. It is just that, the other teams will get better also, barring anything jarring to their programs. We are a 50-50 kind of team.

4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It IS the way of college sports, revenue especially. Pre-season banter is a lucrative business.

5. CaliGator

CaliGator Junior

Apr 29, 2007
    OMG this defense! Gave up 411 yards t EWU. 576 to UT, 402 to USF, 446 to UTA. Our best defensive performance was UK -- only giving up 272 and we still lost. So many issues to address and it will take time. Players sticking with their assignments would be a great first step. I swear at times is seems like most of our DBs and secondary have never played football. Not sticking with their gap/coverage assignments, too much cushion in coverage, etc. And, before anyone asks - yes, I played a lot of football albeit not at the collegiate level. Became too short for my weight!

• Like Like x 1
  6. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    EW qb completed the first 10 of his 11 passes. This is EW. Not a good team at all. 411 yards. They rolled through our number 1s. It was somewhere in second half where we got a 3 and out. UT never punted. Hooker I think complete over 80% of his passes, maybe missed 4. Guys, we are not that talentless. I can see bama, or uga, or ole miss to run wild against us but not EW. We have played 5 games and still look like a jv team on D. Five games and we still look lost and way too passive. Unless our O runs on all cylinders we will struggle to win 6 imo.
    If we are running a base D, and have practiced this in spring, fall, and into 5 games and if our players still haven't gotten it, is it on them or the coaches or both? I expect our D to not be great, but we are teetering between bad and downright ugly. I keep waiting and hoping for some progress, I'd be satisfied with a stout run D, or a stout pass defense. But honestly, I'm watching Groundhog Day. Just so hard to watch.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson GC Legend

Aug 10, 2007
    The Gators got a 3 and out with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.