Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Charlotte at #25 FLORIDA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Sep 23, 2023.

1. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    yea, i'm confused, if you only have 10 players on the field on d, can't you just run a player out there with no penalty to get to 11?

• Like Like x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah I wasn't sure why if and why it would be but even still...half the distance to the goal and have a chance to stop them at full strength.

3. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    You can, but the player has to run all that way. OSU would snap the ball while he is off-sides and get a free play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I think ND had a timeout left; no idea why they didn't take it once their coach realized they were a man down.

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    fwiw,

6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    They used their last time out a few moments earlier on that same drive. They had a chance to end the game a few times on that last drive. Had an interception bounce off a DBs hands and gave up multiple 3rd and 4th downs. They held OSU to 10 points the whole game and then went conservative on defense yo end the game

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    @Claygator I deleted my response when I saw the original comment was deleted. Assuming it was a mistake. Moving on. All good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I certainly got the impression it was his game. We need a kicker who may change the outcome of a game down the road.
    He definitely made a statement

• Like Like x 2
  9. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    CBN is too set in his ways to open up the offense. If, we lose to Kentucky, with his talent, we need to move on to another OC. You don’t get better doing the played scared approach and letting 8-9 defensive players providing run defense against 5 or six people. The math is solid, then our play calling comes into play. Proof better be there Saturday that this OC can provide winning play calling or we need to go another OC. He is making his own bed and should be responsible for keeping it close on the road and letting home field take advantage of that. our schedule doesn’t allow for passive playing on first and second down, especially in the red zone, “No field goals until the end of the game. Quit wasting opportunities!n5 FG’s, vanilla offenses, where everyone knows your game. We all should demand better……

• Like Like x 1
  10. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    yep

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Don’t all defenses in the pac give up 50 a game. I know tge sec is known for defense but there’s not a lot of scoring going on this year. Are the qbs and offenses that bad this year. It doesn’t look as probable that the sec wins the title as usual.

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The thing that I worry about is we have to be closer to mistake free to score on 10 play drives. One mistake or penalty shuts us down. A little more quick strike would be nice, maybe just the capability. Long drives keep the defense fresh and limits opponents opportunities, I just wish we had 3rd and 8 plays that worked when needed. Hopefully Mertz has more time this week and we see some options.

14. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Welp the one we faced gave up 11, so I guess the answer would be no. As far as title, it seems wide open and I love it, really boring when same teams dominate year in year out.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m sick of Bama but other than that, the stooge has two. It would be strange if Texas or even Washington got one. The failed conferences get a shot after all the good teams decide to leave because they have no shot.

16. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    Went to the game Saturday took my two young kids, we try to go to at least 1 game a year as a family, and pick the least likely game to get rowdy. My son 5, had a blast as always enjoyed it regardless of the score or anything else. Which is what it's all about at the end of the day.

I have been to probably 80 gator games in my lifetime, not season ticket holders, but my dad always took me to 2-3 games a year as kid. We would usually sit in the nosebleeds N or S endsones. Man has it changed over the years. I am now 35 and I'm going to have an old guy moment, or maybe just vent for a second to some fellow gators.

We sat in section 5, which we have sat in before but not this high up, man the music was about to drive me bonkers. It seemed like 4-5 times a song was skipping, almost like the old cd players if you tilted it ever so slightly. Maybe I was just right under a speaker and so it was more obvious than in previous years. I don't normally mind the music, it's for the younger crowds and gets the players hyped so I know it's not for everyone.

One thing that struck me as odd was the fan interactions I had with fellow gators. Never before have I had issues getting to and from my seat. This past Saturday about 5 mins into half, my kid has to use the bathroom. So I stand up and plot the escape route, you know looking for the empty pockets above and below to see who I can least inconvenience. We hop up one row and skip about 10 seats, we are 8 or so seats now from the aisle, and a couple just flat refuses to get up. Granted both people are about 300lbs, I'm not shaming them, just pointing out the facts, the woman stands up after groaning at us and her husband/bf whatever to her left just says good luck and doesn't budge and looks back the other way. I am the least likely person to cause a scene, so we retreat about 3 seats, I have to pick him up to get him over the chair backs down to next row. We go down a couple rows and again a woman stands up and the husband, clearly drunk as piss never acknowledges the polite excuse me or his wife's tap, just stares at the halftime show. So again I lower my son a row and we get onto the aisle and go on our way.

Maybe I have just been fortunate in years past, or have been alone and in my 20s and not cared, but man those interactions got under my skin. Anyway, I dont live near other gators fans to discuss much about the GameDay atmosphere, so I'm here.

The game itself, started about as well as it could have. Defense pitching 3-4 straight 3 and outs. The offense was moving the ball, and then it just quit. I am not sure if we got too vanilla on play calling or Charlotte adjusted to what we were doing. I was also wrangling 2 kids under 5, so I missed a lot I'm sure. I want to just blame it on Oline suspensions and Kingsley being out again and this being a game sandwiched between two huge SEC games. Go Gators!

17. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Doering's was timely but not as athletic.

18. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    It's a combination of two things. UK is more consistently coached with Stoops but they aren't going to win the SEC (or SEC east) anytime soon. But more importantly we have regressed down to their level steadily over the past 10 years or so. Maybe because of coaching turnover and recruiting. That makes what once was a guaranteed win a competitive game.

19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    There was a bit of luck over that 30 + game win streak. Can't really say it was Guaranteed even ifnwe were normally the better team solely based on the fact that no other SEC team has a streak over another SEC team that long, I'm not sure there is even a close one to that now and there have certainly been some dominant teams in the SEC over the years but There is so much parity and talent through out the conference now that it's inevitable that those "lower" tier teams will sneak one from time to time. That 30 year winning streak over UK was special but unfortunately nothing lasts forever.