Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Charlotte at #25 FLORIDA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Sep 23, 2023.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    we've been really bad at 3rd and 6 or less this year

passing 8 attempts - 2 first downs, 1 int
    rushing 13 attempts - 6 first downs

8-21 conversions on 3rd and manageable - like 38% - gotta get that number above 50 on the 3rd and manageable if we want to be successful moving forward.

On the flip side - UF now #5 in total defense, #30 in YPP defense, #22 Yards per rush defense, and #24 in 3rd down defense.
    Really the defense's only vulnerability right now, to me, seems to be against the pass - because the pass rush is not the greatest and we have some youth at safety.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    OK, great. Feel free to delete my post(s) if you think it's taking food off someone's table. I didn't know there was more lenience on the pay site. That'll be my last post on the topic so as to not derail the thread further.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Just about everywhere.
    Sloppy and uninspired play.
    Scored TD on first drive and had to settle for 5 field goals after that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    This is my, you’re not gonna like this post, I don’t either. Many are and have been clamoring for Billy to hire a real OC, play caller, and rightfully so. He has a OC though, in his eyes. I’ve watched Rob Sale a bit, he’s been more involved in organizing the offense on the sideline than he has in coaching the OL during the game. The play calling is somewhat by committee, depending on the situation certain guys chime in to influence the call, analytics is used heavily. I believe there’s a good chance Rob Sale will be the chief play caller next season. I think that how Billy got him here and why there are 2 OL coaches, plus Billy didn’t want to lose his young OL coach from ULL. Sale probably wants to be a HC at some point. To do so, he’ll likely have to be more than just an OL coach first.

If so, I’m not crazy about this, at all. Very much wish Billy would go out and hire a rising young innovative OC/QB coach and let him completely run the offense. Then Billy could focus more on all aspects of the team and further sharpen them. That’s his true strength, imho, being the offensive play caller is not.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    I think the whole game plan was to work on fixing what has not worked well this season.
    FG kicking - check
    Other special teams - check
    Second string OL - still needs work
    Montrell up the middle -see second string OL

We are very likely to have a game this year where Smack has a chance to win it with time running out. I feel a lot better about his chances after last night

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    just fyi that Mazzcua did not play at all so 2 starting O linemen didn’t play any. UF suspended him for second half on top of ncaa 1st half suspension. At least that is what they said on air. George did play some in second half but not Mazzcua. Not that it should be a huge deal vs Charlotte.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I didn’t notice it in real time but post game reporters mentioned two special teams plays where one again UF only had 10 players on the field (a punt and FG attempt by Charlotte). If that is the case that is still a glaring special teams issue as it ain’t the first time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    UK isn't that great, but that score is misleading. That said Leary is likely to have a hard time against us. We are just as likely to have a hard time with our predictable run scheme against them. This is going to be a tough 4 quarter game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Quezzie?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Q. Only 1 for 9 tonight on 3rd downs; that was a problem last week in the second half and carried over it seemed this week.

BILLY NAPIER: “Yeah. I think the turnovers — look, we played some of those were two-down approaches, right, and I think that affected a little bit.

But yeah, there’s no question. Ultimately — and they’re in the red area, right. Got to get it better, there’s no doubt. That’s one of the stats that’s going to stand out.”

Against that team, just terrible.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Hypotheticals are by definition things that might have happened but didn't or might happen but won't. Reality is what actually did occur, whether I like it or not.

Reality:

- Disjointed, predictable O that looked like it was shorthanded on the line (it was) and is still not as deep/talented as the better teams in CFB (we're not).
    - D is already quite good and is getting better right before our eyes - that is not a bad thing.
    - QB play is not our problem and complaining/whining about Mertz's performance/limitations to date is beyond pointless - and seems unbelievably wrong-headed to me.
    - If last night's O performance was intended to impress a certain WR recruit with our passing strategies/O philosophy, I sure as hell hope he gives us another look at some point.
    - AA is our DC regardless of how or why he got here, plus BN hired him away from Saban in the process of bringing him to UF. Fault finding because things might have gone more
    smoothly, or that the Toney hire proves BN is just an inflexible bum who had a diamond fall into his lap is lame.
    - BN is a work in progress as a HC. If you are expecting more at this point, you haven't been paying attention. I believe he can and must adjust/grow/improve in a number of areas. He
    has his work cut out for him.
    - We have a long way to go to get to where any of us wants to be. Some will persevere and some will not. Not all shaky commits are HS recruits.

Go Gators! Beat KY!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I hope you're right that they see ETN as better. But then I ask, how could the coaching staff be so wrong about who the better kicker is?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Did you hear Billy’s Press Conference about 10 men on field and penalties on special teams? If not, you’re going to want to listen. It’s troubling.

Etienne and 8 Carries is very concerning. Gotta get him 15-20 Carries a game. 8 Carries for our most talented back is not nearly enough.

14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great question on kicker. It’s not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Yeah, last night was about really good progress in the PK game. Overall, STs are still shaky at best. I hope it gets better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    So the D has only TWO turnovers in four games ?

17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post. Gotta win next week. Stoops has solid talent and will stack box. His DB’s will play tight and take away sideways passes. Gonna have to throw the ball downfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Didn’t we change the kicker? I’m not sure why this is being raised as an issue.

You make personnel adjustments throughout the season based on the play on the field. Just like moving Montrell & ETN ahead of Wright last year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    For those of us that have been paying attention (and listening to things like the GNFP podcast, etc. which I really recommend)... We knew OL was going to be an issue this year. The starters were not replacement level to the guys we lost last year, and the back ups are young and most aren't even close to replacement level for the guys who are starting. We are limited at OL this year. So one of the biggest things we knew going in is that any starters missing playing time on the OL would very bad on overall performance - and it would have a cascading effect.

Ok so in the first half, we are down THREE starters, and down 2 in the second half. I think it's also worth pointing out, and Napier mentioned it, Charlotte had very talented edge players. They had 3 guys on that DL that were consensus top 300 recruits, and one was a former top 10 guy. So I know it was charlotte, and they aren't very good, but they had a strength going against Florida's weakness last night - and many of the armchair QB's that don't know shit from shinola tend to ignore things like that.

Florida just isn't very good on the OL. But back ups got reps last night, there is room to grow. Kentucky is a tall test for this team next week- lets hope they can keep learning and growing.

Florida has not played well on the road under Napier - so let's see if they can reverse that trend starting next week.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Can we also talk about Florida's bad luck on fumble bounces this year?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1