Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post-Game Discussion: Arkansas at FLORIDA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Nov 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I would have not wasted two of my earlier timeouts in a one score game to avoid dumb avoidable procedural penalties.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Good questions. Also wonder about the line-ups at times when we don't have Wilson, Pearsall, ETN and Boardingham out there . . . which would spread the field and make it more difficult (IMO) to cover everything quick-hitting or longer if the OL blocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Seniors should be mentoring and leading in addition to physically participating so no not at all.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Our recruiting has sucked. The class might’ve looked good statistically but 12 tweener rush ends that can’t ply end or LB or 12 WR who you try and convert to DB does not a sound class make.

But
    it comes down to
    Are our players sooo overmatched that coaching doesn’t matter
    Can our coaches not get the message across?

Why are our LB smaller than Bama receivers:)

A lot of post game over multiple games about one critical player at a critical junction. Enough, that is coaching. And those critical moments often arise because we aren’t taking care of business elsewhere.

The biggest fear I had after the hire was that process guys scare me. We have heard the “system” guys before, it should have worked, it was there, yada, yada, yada.

At some point, it is always coaching.

Go Gators, turn this ship around!

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    That’s just not true, Brain Kelly was never offered the job. His agent inquired about the job on his behalf and it never went beyond that. The sole focus of this hire was Billy Napier, period.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Feels like a Toney situation. Sometimes guys a too talented to keep off the field just because they don’t know the playbook completely or aren’t the best blockers. Just give him the ball and tell him which direction to run.

7. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I’m watching Missouri give Georgia all they can handle in Athens.

And, we actually have fans who think we’re going to go to Columbia and beat Missouri.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GTRM8

GTRM8 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 12, 2021
    That is true, but I think last year was an aberration, because so many players opted out of that game. I don’t blame Anthony Richardson for opting out because he was a first round pick for sure. But a lot of players just gave up on our team. I hope we don’t have any players like that left on this roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

I agree with this on D. I think it’s about undersized LBs, young DL… I think with this incoming class they could be good in a couple years barring a bunch of losses to the portal or in recruiting. I think it’ll be intersting to see in terms of culture- how many kids stick around. The offense has also been good at times, mertz and the receivers much better. Oline not great … but that’s where coaches make a difference and they do not

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser GC Legend

Oct 9, 2008
    100% correct. Can’t believe more hasn’t been made of this. Coach has zero concept of clock management and routinely struggles with it. His inability to get plays in on time is baffling

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    The question is how much is a TO worth with under one minute left in the game and the clock stopped. Our defense was gassed at that point in the game. They had them stopped without needing to use the TO. Worse case is they tie the game, and you have over 50 seconds and a TO to drive for a game winning field goal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Probably confused since USCe is also in Columbia.

13. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    You think Dabo's players didn't see that and get fired up to play for their coach against ND? Lol You sorely underestimate kids to run through a wall for their coach with their backs against the wall. It happens time and time again. How motivated were our teams under SOS and Urban to play our rivals? Even Muschamp, who you cite, got them fired up.

Sadly, to your point about Muschamp, he sure won more than Napier has here through their first 22 games. You going to argue that?

So let's recap. You argue we have no clue how Clemson responded to Dabo's rant and yet they come out and play their best game of the year beating #15 ND after it. Good call.

You bring up Muschamp who went 11-2 in his second season here and 19-8 through his first 22 in which Napier is 11-11. Good call.

Dabo and Muschamp are known as some of the best motivators out there, no? Are you arguing they are not? Has anyone ever said that about Napier? His teams sure play like him. Flat with no fire. Unless you see something different....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    We could legit be 20 point dogs in all three of our remaining games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    One of the most overrated sayings in college football fandom history is the belief that the extra practices you get during bowl season are beneficial. I can point to a lot of teams throughout history who got those extra practice reps and then proceeded to stink the next year

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorin1963

gatorin1963 Sophomore

Nov 20, 2016
    Only that I wish we’d won.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GTRM8

GTRM8 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 12, 2021
    Hence the need to add a separate offensive coordinator aside from BN. I don’t think this is even an argument anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. gatorin1963

gatorin1963 Sophomore

Nov 20, 2016
    I should have read it all!

• Like Like x 1
  19. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Napier likes those tight formations. I don’t like them because they bring 7-8 guys into the box, and make it more difficult on the OL to block. With wider formations, if the defense wants to stack the box to prevent the run game, then it opens up slant routes and other quick hitting plays.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Double digits for sure. If you were to rank all the games on the schedule in terms of toughness. The next 3 would be #’s 2-3-4, imho. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.