Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Police Coverups, Conspiracies, and Cost to Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, May 17, 2023.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    The number of bad cop videos should be zero. It's not. Unless it's taped by someone else, the police control the only footage. If it is not FOIA'ed, they control the narrative. Again, and I do mean again, it's not that there are bad cops.. It's that they are covered for. There is a Blue Wall of Silence that keep bad cops on the road, A culture of us vs them, and administrative controls in place that keep them there. That needs to be fixed, whether or not there are 9,325,378,864,320,476 good interactions. How many of these bad interactions are caught on cell phone or someone's security camera. Had that evidence not been captured on something other than body/dash cam, it would have been swept under the rug. I understand bad apples get hired. I get it. Weed them out, don't cover for them.

You should be able to file a complaint, right? That in itself should not be intimidating, but it could be. How would you like to be threatened for arrest for trying to file a complaint? Should you been ran out of the building by a guy with a badge and a gun? Why are they hostile to taking complaints? Why do they straight up lie about the process? Be honest.

Don't watch this, either, and then tell me there isn't a culture issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    being a middle aged white guy is an advantage

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    This, This is what I'm talking about. This officer had been fired SEVEN times. Why was he allowed to still be a cop:

A Florida police sergeant has been fired after allegedly conspiring to cover for a colleague who failed to secure an October crime scene—marking the seventh time the lawman has been terminated for misconduct and criminal behavior, officials said Friday.

The firing marks the seventh time Bosque, once dubbed “Florida’s Worst Cop,” has been fired during his 28-year career at the Opa-Locka Police Department—with alleged violations ranging from excessive force, stealing from suspects, and misuse of police firearms. He has also been arrested and cleared three times.

The countless misconduct claims have earned Bosque state-wide attention, including a 2011 exposé by the Sarasota Herald-Tribune that stated his personnel file was more like “a rap sheet than a résumé.” The bombshell report detailed more than 40 internal affairs complaints against the sergeant—noting that 16 were for excessive force or battery. Most recently, Bosque was found guilty of false imprisonment and witness-tampering in 2014 after he allegedly illegally handcuffed a man trying to file a complaint against him. While he was sentenced to 364 days in jail, he did not serve any time.

‘Florida’s Worst Cop’ Was Just Fired for Misconduct—for the Seventh Time

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Instead, why not go search for the amazing cop stories? There are many stories that show police are helping people but you spend all your energy on the bad ones.
    You probably complain about all the red lights you get and forget about the times where you catch the greens.
    My wife is the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    So then what about all the thousands of white men who are in prison?
    What a dumb post. Thanks for bringing race into it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    So, showing rampant corruption in the Aurora PD, you come back with something something red lights? The AG said they had a pattern of racially motivated policing and excessive force, clear cut evidence of preferential treatment by fellow officers of an on-duty officer drunk at the wheel at 5 times the legal limit, pistol whipping suspects while another officer watches, killing a kid with Ketamine, etc etc.. Proof of coverups and conspiracies and you want to talk about red lights.. lol.

But sure, good cop, right here in Valdosta. RIP SSGT Guthrie

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Again, one more single video, out of millions, which is supposed to inform my opinion about nearly 1 million cops in the US.

Now should I show you videos of black people huring white people? Or perhaps we should avoid white males. There is a mass shooting almost every day, and it’s almost always a youngish white male. Every day. So clearly there is a systematic problem with most white males. As well as blacks, based upon numerous videos.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    You're right, there are a lot of mass shootings and shootings in general. That's why many people want.. reform. The same thing I want here. Reform.

And similar to this thread, people boil it down when gun reform is called for to "millions of responsible gun owners shootings no one ever single day." (Insinuating that there isn't a problem, or one not big enough to do anything about. This analogous to your argument here, imo.) and "You want to confiscate everyone's guns." (Similar to what Oke posted earlier infering that I want to disband the police.)

It's fine if you think no changes need to be made. I just can't agree with you on that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    What about all those videos of black people committing crimes? Given there are videos, do black people need to be reformed? What about thise black looters during riots? There are videos man!

You are suffering the same hysteria that you find among Fox Viewers - they see videos, and they know those videos are reflective of broad society.

We are going to be in really bad shape when deep fake video technology is widespread.

• Like Like x 1
  10. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Coming from the guy who spends all his energy scouring the Internet for "transgender bad" stories LOL

11. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    It’s difficult to respond to your vomit without violating the terms and conditions. Honestly most of your vile does in my opinion. We as middle age whit men are not likely to be targeted. Races are treated differently by the idiot cops who you admire. Close to 40 years ago in a Gainesville convenience store a black kid wasn’t given his change or a bag by a young white woman. He asked her to hand it to him. She refused. I grabbed a bag and his change and handed it to him and said what is your problem. He said being born white must be nice. Up until that point I thought everyone was treated the same. I suspect you have had a similar occurrence in your life but you were too blind or willfully myopic to notice it. You basically suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    So are you saying that criminals acting like criminals excuse cops acting like criminals? Take off your blinders. There is a problem here saying most cops are good doesn’t help the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Anyone, black or white, should be prosecuted for breaking the law, like looting.

I think you are getting tied up in the video aspect part of it. The videos provide proof. I could go on without them, and probably should, because they aren't going to get watched.

There is data out there. Should I bother posting it? It sounds like you are going to get hung up on something else instead of what's really at hand, whether reform is needed.

Do you think reform is needed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I'll have to find it, but I read story in the past couple weeks of a department targeting black people for traffic stops at severe disproportion to the rest of the community. One thing that the reporter noticed, is that traffic stops of all kinds slowed way down after sunset. Why? Because in the dark, you can't see as easily who is driving the vehicle. Coincidence? Doubtful.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    WaPo looked into lawsuit payments in the past decade of 25 departments. How much did they pay out? $3.2 Billion, or $10 for every man, woman, and child in all of the United States.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve.../2022/police-misconduct-repeated-settlements/

The Post found that more than 1,200 officers in the departments surveyed had been the subject of at least five payments. More than 200 had 10 or more.

There are disincentives to such tracking, legal and policing experts said.

“If an officer has multiple lawsuits, then the city is in jeopardy of negligent retention,” says Stephen Downing, a retired deputy chief with the Los Angeles Police Department and current adviser with the Law Enforcement Action Partnership, a criminal justice reform group. “Few cities want to risk retaining that information to avoid being part of an even more costly lawsuit.”

Taken from the article, why was this officer allowed to be a cop for a decade?

sued.PNG

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m caught up re videos because you are making your case on the national stage of policing based upon some videos.

Do I think reform is needed? Clearly in some places yes. In most places? I don’t know.

Also I don’t know what the reform is. I do think in most places police should have much more training in the use of firearms, and also much more training in the use of physical force and combat, such as ju Jitsu or something comparable.

I’m getting out of my league here, but my perception is we may need to re-look at training methods that make cops think their life is in danger every moment. Just like you watch a few videos and think a million cops are corrupt, these cops get trained looking a videos where officers were either hesitant or less than diligent and get killed by violent aggressors, leading them to think every stop could be a life and death situation.

I’m not of fan of police unions, any more than teachers unions or most unions. Sometimes they serve a purpose but they suppress rooting out problem cops.

I have mixed emotions about making them personally liable in certain situations. I was recently arrested trying to restrain a young adult child from driving off - due to mental illness and drugs, the police were called and I got arrested. The reason I was likely arrested was because the good people of texas thought it would be a good idea to hold cops personally liable for failing to arrest someone in a family violence situation. So it’s a given they are going to arrest somebody, regardless of whether any crime has been committed.

So I’m personally a bit bitter at our local police force, and I’ve lost a lot of trust in them, and I have more sympathy for those that have been harassed and don’t trust them. But I have to be realistic in that these are people, doing a job, some better than others, and they are going to take care of themselves first. Most of my other interactions with cops have been fine and they've always been professional.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I agree with a lot of that. I think we are closer to being on the same page more than we think we are.

I, too, have been on the bad end of policing. If I knew what I knew now, I would have sued. But, I was late teen, early 20's and didn't know any better. I've also had positive interactions.

I get your point about the videos, but sometimes it helps for folks to see what it looks like, because articles can only convey so much. It's like reading an article on when those officers beat that man to death, but watching it something different.

Not all police are corrupt or bad cops, however, turning a blind eye to corruption and coverups, will increase the amount of bad cops and reinforce bad culture.

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    To be clear I’ve never said what you were asserting was explicitly wrong. I’d just like to see more complete evidence and data, and watching some videos of some bad cops in itself is not informative of the entire state of policing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    That's fair.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    You’re completely lost.

• Agree Agree x 1