Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Police Coverups, Conspiracies, and Cost to Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, May 17, 2023.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    It's a big ole club. At least she resigned.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA

Whoa whoa.. Earlier I said that we definitely need police, and never once I have I said disband the police.

I have two that I've already covered, well, one that I covered and one that was revealed in the Aurora posts.

1) Make serious changes to Qualified Immunity. This protects police in some of the most bullshit scenarios.

2) Enforce failure to intervene. Former Aurora officer found guilty of failure to intervene in violent arrest of Kyle Vinson

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    It's kinda weird how folks boil this down to a false dichotomy.

I'd like to see change = Keep the police or disband all of the police departments

OR

There seems to be a culture problem = All cops are bad or all cops are good.

It's OK to admit there is a problem with policing. That doesn't mean I don't want cops or that I think all cops are bad. I want accountability and equal protection under the law. I want police to be held to a higher standard than the general public. How can you be above the same laws that you put people in cages for?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are married to this narrative yet you really offer no alternative. When I say tens of thousands, that means within that group you have a range going from just poor performers all the way to being corrupt.

So you want current cops to quit, because you think many are corrupt. So how do you propose to replace them with new non-corrupt cops?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    David French made an excellent point based upon the defenses of police conduct that it's impossible to exercise appropriate discipline given the danger they face, and that you will destroy morale with accountability.

He served as a JAG in Iraq. He stated that US troops even in the middle of an insurgency with regular attacks exercised more fire discipline than the average police officer. And face more accountability. Not to say that the military system is perfect or flawless. But it is far more advanced than the systems of discipline and accountability we have for most urban police departments.

Then again, most urban police departments are doing exactly what the larger public wants them to do in terms of social control, which is part of the reason that true accountability is so politically difficult

• Like Like x 1
  6. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    this wasn’t directed at me but I would cut the police force by a percentage and raise the salaries of the cops by the amount of savings. I would change the training of all new cops to be more into de escalation and I would stop the militarization of the police force and End most qualified immunity.

With the higher pay I would make cops carry individual malpractice insurance. One wrong action and their premiums go up.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    OP watches a few videos of cops behaving badly and comes to sweeping conclusions. Perhaps OP should watch millions of videos of every day encounters and see if he comes to the same conclusion.

Op is behaving no differently that the resident anti vaxxers who look at one in a million bad outcomes for vaccines and come to sweeping conclusions about their danger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Soooo... you don't trust the police, but you think we need them? Got it...

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Perhaps that is a good approach. I have no way of knowing. So if we did all of that, do you think it would eliminate these handfuls of horrific videos of cops behaving badly?

10. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    We need good, fair police. We need the bad ones weeded out and not covered for. They shouldn't be able to mess up badly, then go 1 town over and get to be an officer, again.

11. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    For the places that can afford it, increase salaries to the point where you have a better pool of applicants to choose from. Choose the best ones.

12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So who is going to pay for that?

You’ve come to these broad conclusions from watching a few videos?

I keep seeing all these instances where teachers are sleeping with students, or doing other inappropriate things. I guess that means that we have a big problem with corrupt teachers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    It isn't watching a few videos, though. It's daily occurrences. No one wants me to post every single video I come across. If it was individual cop videos, I could make this thread pages upon pages upon pages. I was trying to draw attention to department wide issues and preferential treatment.

And it's not some new phenomenon. I've watched these for years. One you watch a few, they become suggested videos. I've seen them for years. I also subscribe to Police Activity, the largest police channel on YT. I know it's a hard job. But there is no reason you shouldn't operate within the law. I'm not talking about questionable shoots when your life is on the line, I'm talking about the wholesale protection of criminal cops by QI, their departments, and the DA.

The point is, unlike Q trying to take 1 quack doctors advice over damn near the whole profession at large, this isn't one quack doctor. It's a daily occurrence. And for someone who admittedly doesn't watch the videos, it's interesting you accuse me of just watching a few.

14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Well, okay, I agree with you there. I think you should have made that viewpoint more clear in your original post. It seems I'm not the only one who feels like you're castigating the entire police force instead of focusing on the few rotten apples of the bunch. I agree there needs to be some reform, but overall, our police forces are pretty good. Some of the cops I know are the most personable and friendliest people you'll ever meet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I think videotaping the cops is going to do it. I would also criminally indict all cops involve in not releasing their body cams. Turning it off or not releasing the videos is morally and criminally wrong. I would also indict all the cops present when a cop does anything illegal and the other cops remain silent. Seriously if I was a defense attorney I would be hammering on this all day and night, cops are believed when they testify.

it is definitely more than a handful. If cops are shown to lie on the stand and it is not an unusual occurrence than police testimony becomes useless and prosecutors will need to have this changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. The police form a wall protecting the bad cops. Anyone who protects a bad cop is a bad cop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Do you really want me to go crazy posting videos you won't watch to prove its not just a few? You keep saying "it's just a few," but it isn't.

How often do teachers get to brutalize their students and get away with it? Do they get to put them in the hospital and at most get the possibility of simple battery? Does the teacher's union fight tooth and nail to keep them employed after repeated physical incidents? Do teacher's get to say "I didn't know it was illegal to stuff the apple on my desk and stuff it in a student's mouth and duct tape it shut. There is no clear case law on that. I want qualified immunity." Does the DA refuse to charge them?

18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    It's amazing that in all my years, I've managed to never put myself in a position where I ever had to fear what a cop might do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Ok it’s a daily occurrence. There may be a million videos every day or otherwise normal interactions. How many of those have you watched? So your conclusions are based on 365 videos and not the other 365 million?

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’ve always been supportive of the idea of videos brining visibility to the situations, but we may be seeing what we see elsewhere on the internet. People are not able to process statistics and proportionality. You have the Dilbert guy who everyday was seeing videos of black people beating up white people, and came to the conclusion that black people are bad and should be avoided. How is this different?

When people cherry pick data and create action plans based upon that data it often makes things worse not better.