Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Police Coverups, Conspiracies, and Cost to Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, May 17, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So the use of a police dog on a surrendering truck driver is the focus of this article, but this caught my eye

CIRCLEVILLE, Ohio — As Jadarrius Rose drove his 18-wheeler through rural Ohio, a simple missing mudflap caught the highway patrol’s eye. The trip ended with a police dog’s powerful jaws clamping down on Rose even as he tried to surrender.

As he stood with his hands up beside the highway on July 4, at least six law enforcement officers surrounded him at a distance, one calling forcefully to the K-9 handler: “Do not release the dog,” highway patrol video shows.

It’s not clear why a K-9 unit was at the scene that day. Michael Gould, a former New York City police officer and founding member of the NYPD’s K-9 unit, said officers appeared to have control once they surrounded Rose with their guns drawn. And then there’s the image of Rose with his hands up.

“He was compliant and not a threat to anyone,” Gould said.

At least 6 officers, including a K-9 unit, for a missing mud flap. Jadarrius Rose. Hmmmm

After a police dog attack, Ohio city deals with aftermath
    After a police dog attack, Ohio city deals with aftermath - Tampa Bay Times

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007

This is a little scary

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    All kinds of criming going on by the “cops” there.

Wonder if the off-duty cop that ran him over was drunk or something? Obviously they were covering something up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The lack of basic human decency is sickening.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    If you recall, after the police raided Afroman's home, he made a music video out of his surveillance footage. This hurt the cops in the feels and they filed a lawsuit.

Police officers who conducted a botched armed raid of rapper Afroman’s home last year have filed a lawsuit against him for invasion of privacy and emotional distress after he used footage of it in his music videos.

Police sue rapper Afroman for using footage of home raid in his music videos

Now, a teenager that was falsely arrested for DUI is getting sued by 2 cops after posting video of the encounter.

This story was popular, and I may have already posted it, but here it is. Basically, a kid was lawfully pulled over but was wrongfully arrested for DUI. He blew all zeros and did the field tests. The kid is sober and he makes these cops look dumb, so off he goes to jail for contempt of cop. Now these cops are suing, claiming emotional distress, after the kid got the body cam and posted it on the internet.

Two Iowa police officers are suing a teenager they arrested last year after the body-cam footage of the allegedly unwarranted arrest he posted on YouTube went viral. The officers initially alleged they experienced “emotional distress” and are now suing for defamation and invasion of privacy. The lawsuit, first reported by the Iowa Capital Dispatch last week, comes as a counterclaim to a federal lawsuit filed by the teenager earlier this year, alleging he was falsely arrested and that his civil rights had been violated.

Around two weeks after the arrest, Galanakis posted the footage to YouTube with his own commentary added as captions. The two arresting officers claimed those captions, as well as clips and statements Galanakis posted to TikTok and Facebook, constituted defamation and “intentional infliction of emotional distress.” The officers’ lawsuit claims that Galanakis had “publicly posted knowingly false and shocking statements” about both officers’ “training, experience, and qualifications to be a certified law enforcement officer,” as well as “mocked the mental fitness and capacity” and “questioned the competence, fitness, and moral character” of both officers.

The lawsuit claims that such statements caused the officers “to suffer: pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of community reputation, loss of employability, [and] loss of time and inconvenience bringing this action.”

In two decisions in May and September, U.S. District Judge Stephen Locher dismissed almost all of the officers’ claims. Locher deemed most of Galanakis’s captions as “non-actionable statement of opinion” or “rhetorical hyperbole,” which are both considered non-defamatory. This included the caption where Galanakis said he was “raped” by the police department, which Locher said was “distasteful,” but non-actionable.

Cops Are Suing a Teen for Invasion of Privacy After Allegedly False Arrest Goes Viral

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Don't know where the strikethrough text came from..

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Same happened to me. Wish I knew why

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Total BS. So brazen

9. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Which part(s)?

In my layman mind, if more cops file these lawsuits, and some win, this would have quite the chilling effect on victims of police misconduct bringing it public. Somehow, these guys are super tough and emotionally fragile at the same time.

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly that. Agree 100%. "Brazen" referred to saying they were in emotional pain because their misconduct was exposed

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I remember seeing the video of the stop of that young guy. My recollection is the cop claimed he smelled alcohol on him and when he blew zeroes on the BAC test, the cop then accused him of being on drugs. The guy said something like, "wait, I thought you claimed that you smelled alcohol?" It felt like complete amateur hour.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    FWIW, in Edit, you can undo the strikethrough by highlighting the struck through sentences and then clicking on the + button in the editing ribbon at the top and clicking on "Strike-through"

13. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Thanks! I mean, Thanks!

And to think that for years if I needed strikethrough, I'd do it elsewhere and then paste it into the comment.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    That's exactly what happened.

15. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Speaking of Qualified Immunity... A cop is trying to sue another cop for shooting him in the back, leaving him partially paralyzed.

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article281301778.html

Defenders of qualified immunity — the legal doctrine that shields government officials from civil liability when they violate constitutional rights — often argue it’s needed to protect law enforcement officers. But what about when a police officer is the victim of another government agent’s misdeeds?

That’s the exact issue at stake in a case that the Kentucky Supreme Court recently agreed to hear. In 2018, then-Scott County Police Deputy Jaime Morales was partially paralyzed after he was shot in the back by then-Georgetown Police Officer Joseph Enricco during a standoff with a fugitive at a rest stop off I-75. After sustaining the life-changing injuries, Morales sued Enricco, Georgetown Police Lieutenant James Wagoner, the Georgetown Police Department, and the city of Georgetown, arguing that officers did not have adequate training. In his suit, Morales alleges Enricco had only completed Basic Response Team training, had been on no serious calls prior to the shootout, and had no vehicle assault training.

Unfortunately, Morales has run into the same legal hurdles that everyday Americans run into when their rights are violated by government officials. The circuit court ruled that the officer defendants in the case were entitled to qualified immunity because, “as a society, we have decided that law enforcement officers deserve special protection.” When Morales appealed that decision to the Kentucky Court of Appeals, it partly upheld the lower court’s decision. Now, Morales’ hopes for getting justice rest in the hands of Kentucky’s highest court.

Qualified immunity shields government officials from civil liability so long as the right they violated is not “clearly established.” While that might not sound like a crazy standard, what it means in practice is that if a court has not ruled that the exact same facts constitute a rights violation, then the officer is entitled to immunity. This has led to some absurd conclusions. For example, one court held that police in Louisiana were entitled to qualified immunity after arresting a man at gunpoint for posting a joke about COVID-19 on Facebook. In New Mexico, a court ruled that a road-raging off-duty police officer was entitled to qualified immunity after the officer followed a man home, boxed him into his driveway, and held him at gunpoint with his daughter in the car.

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unbelievable. Some progress in being made, but those bolded portions are still shocking to the conscience

17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The consistently brilliant Radley Balko with a debunking of the debunkers about Golden Valley Minnesota, patently and methodically responding to pieces attacking his original piece and validating his thesis.

But what he found most interesting was his elegant prose in debunking generally two theses that defenders of American policing and their grievances feel is persuasive but which I never have but could not articulate my objection as well as Balko - The so -called "Ferguson Effect" and "Broken Windows", a/k/a "stop and frisk (largely):

First, the Ferguson Effect.

First, some clarification. The point of my op-ed was not to argue that “less cops means less crime.” I was making a more nuanced point. The message implicit in the “Ferguson Effect” — at least as it’s promoted by law enforcement groups and their advocates — is that reforms intended to hold abusive, corrupt, and racist police officers more accountable results in more cops quitting en masse, cops who stop doing their jobs, or who just do their jobs less effectively. This then results in more crime. We’ve seen this argument over and over, going back to the protests in Ferguson themselves.

I’ve always found this to be a puzzling defense of police. It’s essentially arguing that police should get veto power over the policies that govern their performance and behavior, and that if cops don’t like those policies, they’ll hold the communities they serve hostage to the threat of crime until they get their way. As I wrote in the op-ed, the message to marginalized communities here is dangerous and unacceptable: You can have constitutional, accountable policing, or you can have a safe community. But you can’t have both.

Second, "Broken Windows":

Finally, I want to address this point from Zimmer:

Crimes Against Society (drug offenses, liquor law violations, weapon offenses) are statistically down approximately 48 percent, but these crimes are most often detected and responded to through proactive law enforcement, which has been dramatically and negatively impacted by the staffing situation. This “reduction” should not be viewed as a drop in this criminal activity, but rather as a lack of proactive law enforcement efforts.

This is really cuts to the heart of this discussion. It’s the “broken windows” debate all over again. People like Zimmer and Strom believe that aggressively policing low level drug offenses, liquor laws, gun possession (i.e. stop and frisk), vagrancy, trespassing, and other “quality of life” crimes leads to a reduction in more serious crimes. There’s little evidence for this. (It’s also a misappropriation of the work that gave us the term “broken windows,” which was about fixing blight, not aggressive policing — but that’s another topic.) Golden Valley moved away from this sort of policing, and the number of crimes serious enough to merit charges from the county attorney went down.

Some of us believe that targeting poor and marginalized people for petty offenses and crimes born of poverty would be objectionable even if it did lead to a decrease in more serious crimes. But it isn’t at all clear that it does. And the Golden Valley story is a data point on my side of the debate, not theirs.

On crime in Golden Valley

18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orin Kerr is a great source for every QI decision

19. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I have a somewhat related story for this one. Homerville, Ga, a small town down HWY 84 from Valdosta had it's police chief arrested earlier this year...

GBI: Homerville police chief arrested

HOMERVILLE, Ga. (WALB) - The police chief of Homerville has been arrested on multiple charges including violation of oath of office, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).

Dearin “Mack” Drury, 40, has turned himself in and now faces charges of violation of oath of office, with theft by taking, possession of marijuana and false statements and writings.

GBI gave few details on the violation of oath of office other than there was “improper evidence handling” that happened at the Homerville Police Department on Monday, Feb. 19.

After an interim chief was named, all the officers quit. And they didn't just peacefully resign, they allegedly...

Homerville Police Dept. walks out after interim chief is named: Where the town stands now

This happened just days after its former Police Chief Dearin “Mack” Drury was fired for improper handling of evidence. Now, what started as a team of 10, quickly dwindled to zero after all of the police officers quit.

“They locked the keys in the car. They turned the keys halfway on, the radios on and made the batteries go dead in all the cars. They broke into my office and stole the evidence room keys I have left to locate. They took the drug dog, unfortunately, from where I sit. That’s theft by conversion and that’s a felony. I would make a recommendation if it’s worth salvaging money-wise and what’s best for the community and hire new officers, or we just shut it down, but either way that’s a decision for the council,” Herndon said.

Herndon is making serious allegations against former Homerville police officers. WALB News 10 tried to set up a meeting with the former officers on Monday, but only one officer showed up and wouldn’t speak without the other nine officers there.

Clinch County Sheriff Stephen Tinsley said he supports the police officers who quit. He said the 10 deputies they have on staff will cover the county seat of Homerville.

Maybe they have their reasons for resigning, but leaving in the manner that they did, after their boss got arrested by the GBI is not a good look.

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very informative - it just shows contempt for the public they purport tp serve and the rule of law they purport to enforce