Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Police Coverups, Conspiracies, and Cost to Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, May 17, 2023.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of the oldies, the Central Park 5, now the Exonerated Five, has now won a seat on the equivalent of the city council. Donald Trump still wanted to execute him even after he was exonerated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Can you imagine djt being on a jury?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Just wondering if anyone watches these videos. Hard to get a grasp what pieces of crap these officers are without seeing it with your own eyes. Circling back to my OP, there is a culture issue. Local and stage gov covers for the A-holes, the union goes to bat for them no matter how egregious their actions are. The DA's stack charges on anyone who is critical of the police, and lower or all together drop charges on officers who do the same, or worse, than what civilians do. Whistleblowers are ousted and ostracized. There is definitely a problem in our county.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I am not certain that the cop didn’t do this on purpose. Can you be a good cop and allow other cops to do this stuff. I don’t think so.

6. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Phoenix, AZ
    News breaking this week

2 Brady List officers involved in arresting man for calling a cop a dumb-ass, brutalize him for not going along with their actions which were against their own policies, and file bogus charges like felony aggravated assault. BTW, Phoenix PD is currently under DOJ investigation for excessive force and retaliation, among other things. Go figure.

One of the officers involved who is on the Brady List once shot a man in the groin with a gas round. Officers celebrated it with a challenge coin. (Tell me there isn't a culture problem)

Screenshot_20230628_103054_Gallery.jpg

That officer is shown prying the victims fingers to get a finger print, even though the department policy states that violence should not be used to obtain finger prints. The felony assault charge, from the best anyone could tell, is assumed to be the victim putting his finger on the officer's hand.

policy.jpg

The same officer got himself on the Brady List for choking a handcuffed person.

Another officer on scene had put in time sheets for hours he hadn't worked. In civilian life, I think that's called fraud.

So, cops arrest a man for hurting their feelings, brutalize him, hit him with bogus charges, and then pursue it for 10 months. The man represents himself in court. The State drops charges the day the find out the that officers prior conduct will be allowed to be brought up in court. Helloooo... *tap *tap* is this on??

Videos:

Overview

More Detailed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I found it odd that he can hear his voice through the divider, but couldn't put two and two together when he hit the brakes and a human body hit the divider like a sack of potatoes...

8. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA

In the Phoenix case, this is assumed to be the Aggravated Assault.

body2.png

And from another case currently in the spotlight, a K9 officer sics his dog on an innocent, compliant man. These are "Minor Injuries" according to his report.

[​IMG]

There's two worlds, police and then everyone else.

News Video:

30 mins of redacted audio in one of the bodycams, and two lines redacted in the report... why?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is despicable and heinous behavior by the town’s police chief. On the other hand, the article describes the county sheriff and his attitudes and actions, and he appears to be the kind of person we do want in law enforcement. In another article linked at the bottom of that article, the sheriff went to bat for a man and his sister wrongfully charged in that town.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Perez is Hispanic, and his passenger was a Brookside resident, also Hispanic, who didn’t have her purse with her, Perez said. The officer said he would take them both to jail because she didn’t have her ID.

Which is another problem altogether, Sheriff Pettway said.

“We don’t have a law that says if you don’t have ID, you go to jail,” he said. “If you want to go out there and do something like that, you are creating a law.”

Props to the Sheriff. I see that all of the time. Police officers can't comprehend that if there isn't reasonable suspicion that a person has, is, or is about to commit a crime, you DO NOT need to identify yourself. So many cops get that wrong. I don't know if it is a lack of training, or a flex of authority to arrest someone for failure to ID. I've seen it plenty of times in this case where officers want to identify a passenger who is just sitting in the car.

The vast majority of times it is because someone reports "Suspicious activity." Officers think that just because they make contact with someone, they have to present ID. "I have to know who I'm talking to." Nah... Being suspicious is not a crime in and of itself. Being suspicious could be compounded by other things, (I think this goes back to Terry v Ohio. Resident lawyers can correct me if I'm wrong) but just because a cop makes contact with someone, doesn't automatically mean they have to present ID.

• Like Like x 1
  11. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don’t you still have to identify yourself, even if you don’t have to produce an ID?

By the way, not defending the cop in the Perez case. He was clearly wrong.

12. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    @gator_lawyer

I believe this is tied to the 5th Amendment. You do not have to identify yourself, via name and birthdate or gov issued ID, unless there is reasonable, articulable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed.

An example would be if I were to go to Brookside, AL, stand on the sidewalk with a sign that said "Brookside Police are tyrants" and a Brookside officer came up to me and told me to give him my ID or name and birthdate, I would tell him, "Kick rocks, tyrant," I could not be arrested for Failure to ID. I mean I could, but it would not stick and I would sue.

Or, same scenario, I'm on that sidewalk with my sign. Someone called the police and said "There's a suspicious man on the sidewalk," and the cops show up. They can't say "We got a call about a suspicious person, show me your ID" and then arrest me for not providing them with who I am. "We need to know who we are talking to" doesn't fly. Neither does "I need to fill out a report on this and I need your name to go in the report." Nothing I am doing is unlawful, so they can just kick rocks.

• Like Like x 2
  13. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    First off, I am opposed to private prisons. I think that definitely needs to be a function of the government.

That said, after looking at this report, I’m wondering if they misunderstood the data and then drew a misleading conclusion. I haven’t examined the agreements between the private prisons and the states, but this sounds like typical put-or-pay contracts.

In a these contracts, a private company will build some kind of facility or installation in exchange for a service contract that guarantees a minimum amount of service required. This is usually in the case where the amount of service needed can be uncertain but the capital outlay is great.

These contracts are very common in waste management. The company builds the waste management facility, and then the government guarantees a certain amount of revenue to cover the operation of the facility.

In the waste industry, the government will pay a certain amount per ton to have waste treated. If the tonnage below drops below the contract amount, then the government has to make up the difference to the minimum amount. Often this making up the difference is that a lower rate than if the treatment is being done.

I suspect with these prison contracts that they are paid per prisoner housed. If the census drops below the contract percentage, the state has to make up the difference to the minimum amount. It’s not a penalty, but the state merely has to pay up to the minimum amount. The state does not somehow save money by sending people to prison.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    After posting in this thread I came into the house and my wife was watching Training Day. Appropriate. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with most everything you state but I'm not a video watcher. Can't help you there

16. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    One of my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    That's a good one. That movie may or may not have inspired the Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force, lol.

18. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Understandable. I like them. But then again, I live on YouTube and would much rather watch it than cable. To me, nothing replaces watching these turds misbehave when they know they are being filmed, whether it be their own body and dash cams or bystander/victim cell phones.

That's why I started including more info in the posts, linking news articles for those who would rather read. But then again, it's like reading about how a young Mike Tyson who was a power puncher that beat grown-ass men in the boxing ring and then watching a young Mike Tyson beating grown-ass men in a boxing ring. Sure, you have some of idea from an article, but until you watch it do you realize that the articles could not accurately portray his power and tenacity.

19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are correct. I think it's a function of my age and the fact that a lot of times when I'm looking at stuff, I can't play something with sound. Either way, I usually avoid the videos. But your point is well taken.

20. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    @phatGator

The True Story Behind 'We Own This City'

How the GTTF terrorized the city of Baltimore

The wide array of crimes the GTTF’s officers engaged in is staggering. They targeted suspected drug dealers, carried fake weapons in case they shot an unarmed person to plant the weapon on them, and would re-sell the weapons and drugs that they stole to criminals.

In one instance, revealed in court, officers took someone’s house keys, found out where that person lived and stole $100,000 from a safe in the house. In a 2016 incident, officers stopped and arrested a couple who had been leaving a Home Depot, even though there was no evidence that the couple committed a crime. When they found out that the couple had $40,000 in a house outside the city, they went to the house and took $20,000.

Some GTTF officers admitted in court that they would drive fast toward groups of people in the street and slam on the breaks. They would see who ran out of the group, chase them, and detain them. This could happen anywhere from 10 to 20 times a night or, in some cases, 50 times a night. During their testimony, officers also admitted to putting illegal tracking devices on the cars of suspected drug dealers so they could rob their homes and sell any guns or drugs they found.

In total, the GTTF is believed to have stolen at least $300,000, 43 pounds of marijuana, 800 grams of heroin, three kilos of cocaine, and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry.

‐‐--------

I have not watched the series, but now I'm going to have to.