Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PFF ranks Jordan Castell among SEC's highest-graded returning safeties

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Jun 24, 2024.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nah. Our defense played the way they were coached. We made some staff changes and hopefully that helps, a lot. It should. The real question we should have is, WTH were our overseers seeing in practices that would make them think we were on track and ready for football games. If I heard rumors that Napier and his DC were riding, even deriding, their position coaches to do better, to get more, to not cheat our players, I would feel better. But as far as we know, our upper staff thought we were practicing the way an SEC team needs to.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Well, they fired them so not so much and we were still not very talented either way.

3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, our players could be lying, or they could be telling the truth when they say tackling is a focus this fall but was not last season. And if you knew they are telling the truth, would that be on the two fired coaches or the guys still here?

4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Maybe embellished a bit? At the practice I attended last year they ran tacking drills and ran a drill where they tried to “peanut punch” the ball out.

5. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Unanswerable questions are a rhetorical device that generally tend to create more heat than light. I'm going to sit this one out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone's lists are based on educated guesses, and these listing like all of these lists are based on opinions more the current statistical facts... at least not until the season starts. The past statistics of these players is a good indicator by which to start, but it's harder to tell who will be the best when so many players are from other conferences via transfer portal.

Will our transfers be as good as some people expect them to be? No one really knows, but we can gauge some sort of idea as to who is going to be good like players from all teams.

Kentucky usually has good player even dating back to when we whipped that azz year in and year out. We'll see how they those three players stack-up against other teams including the Gators.

7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    That's a formula for being blackballed as the head coach no one will work for, deriding assistants. You push them to perform and if they don't, they get forced out and have to prove themselves again elsewhere. Long term assistants and former coordinators don't want that.

8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Put it in context. Two true freshmen started at safety. No freshman should be starting at that position. CB and receiver is fine. They had way too much to learn.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    This one has been nagging at me.

They HAVE to be.

Along with dearth of injuries and Sophomore jumps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Extremely cautious optimism, thy name is Gator fan in '24.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hear ya Rick, but here's a fact, not an educated guess.
    Hairston had 10 tackles against us last year (8 were solo).
    In 2023, Kentucky had the league's No. 2-ranked run defense.
    Deone Walker and Maxwell Hairston return to give UK a pair of future NFL talents.
    Dumas-Johnson is a highly rated transfer from Georgia with good stats.

12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No one is doubting that those three players a good, but we all know that good last year is relative becasue players move in and out of programs. I'd like to see how we stack up against these three and other talent in the SEC and the other teams on our schedule.

• Like Like x 1