Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Aug 13, 2023.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Evangelical Christian leader Russell Moore revealed this week that many evangelical pastors have become alarmed that their Trump-loving congregants have become so militant that they are even rejecting the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In an interview with NPR, Moore said that multiple pastors had told him disturbing stories about their congregants being upset when they read from the famous "Sermon on the Mount" in which Christ espoused the principles of forgiveness and mercy as central to Christian doctrine.

“Multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — 'turn the other cheek' — [and] to have someone come up after to say, 'Where did you get those liberal talking points?'" Moore revealed. "And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ,' the response would not be, 'I apologize.' The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak.'"

Moore, who has been an outspoken critic of many evangelicals' embrace of Trump, argues that this has led him to conclude that American evangelical Christianity is now in crisis.

Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'

These Evangicals helped pushed Trump, and now they’re crying because his rhetoric is driving the MAGA cult away from Christian teachings.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    As I have said over and over again, most of the people I have encountered in this country who refer to themselves as "Christians" would be horrified if they ever found out what Christianity is supposed to be. My guess is that the thought extends to the vast majority of people who love to trumpet their "Christianity" right before they discuss "hating those libbies, gays, minorities and immigrants".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Reposting

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Trump supporters want Jesus. They want bread and circuses.

5. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think your last sentence is contradicted by the previous quoted sentence. Did Russell Moore ever push for Trump?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Not to my knowledge, but that wasn’t the point I was making with that post.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Russell Moore is a long time Trump critic.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2023/07/26/russell-moore-southern-baptist-trump/

"Following Moore’s advice could come with consequences. The former Southern Baptist ethicist was a rising star in 2013, when he was elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission after the group’s former leader left amid scandal. Moore was known for his love of 1970s outlaw country stars Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, his advocacy for immigration reform and his skepticism about the close ties between the Republican Party and evangelicals.

"Things went well until the rise of Donald Trump, which turned evangelical leaders into would-be contestants on a real-life version of “The Apprentice” — Trump’s reality television series — “all clamoring to make the cut on the next episode and fearful of hearing the words you’re fired,” he writes in “Losing Our Religion,” released this week by Sentinel, an imprint of Penguin Random House.

"Moore’s criticism of Trump as a candidate and as president, along with his advocacy for survivors of abuse in the SBC, made him enemies and eventually cost him his job. In 2021, he resigned from the ERLC to take a new role at Christianity Today, where he is the editor in chief."

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    FWIW, Southern Baptists are drifting left/woke just like every other mainstream denomination.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was hoping to find that the headline was for a satire piece :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm sure the tendency was there before, Trump didn't create it. But he gave it voice and affirmation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I’ve been saying it for years, Christianity is whatever you want it to be…. “Jesus agrees with whatever I think is right.”

This is just another example of “Christians” rejecting what Jesus got wrong… add that to feeding and healing the poor, loving your neighbor, not judging others, to name a few….

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    He did give voice to lots of frustrations, some of them quite understandable. But of course he’s no more worthy of worship than any other man.

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    True enough, Jesus has become a Divine Subject. Although I’d hasten to add that the Jesus of the Bible was all about judgement. His first recorded word was “Repent” and he spoke of hell more often than of love. And the lack of this substance, this “meat”, has been cited as a major reason for the emptying of churches.

14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    [citation needed]

Or maybe I've just been reading the words in the wrong order?

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Not really. More correctly is, people interpreting to only acknowledge the words or phrases that they agree with and completely ignore the rest. That makes it "their version" of Christianity.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    The irony of the first line of that tweet is not lost on me.

No, in fact, Jesus was Jewish.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  18. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree. Frustrations, anger, resentment, victimhood …

19. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Trump worshipping "Christians" are lost in every way in life.

20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    They're not wrong. We need stand your ground Jesus. The Drag Queens & Baristas are coming for us!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7