Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It used to be Norman's back in the day. Ward's back then was around the corner just north of the vacuum store with the '59 Caddys and mostly a meat market.

Those Norman folks screwed things up big time.

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    In the mid 70's I started shopping at Wards for the meat and Norman's for veggies & fruit, as I remember it when the tax bomb dropped on the Normans (self inflicted), Papa Ward took advantage and moved to the bigger location and pretty much turned it over to Billy and Trish, about that time one of the head butchers was the son of a HS classmate of mine down in Clermont, there was no such thing as a bad cut of meat back then.

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    If you are REALLY old school in Gainesville I live in the house of George Linzmayer of George's Meat Market.

And I met "Boo" a few times. He was a trip.

4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I got to UF in 67, graduated and left in 69, didn't start shopping with Wards & Norman's until I got back in '76 and I don't remember George's meat market, I remember Julie from the 70's-80's, maybe a political or educational connection much is dim from those days

LINZMAYER, GEORGE J. III
    Nov. 4, 1926 - Sept. 28, 2009
    George J. Linzmayer, III, "Brother" of Gainesville died Sept. 28, 2009. George lived in Gainesville all his life. He is survived by his companion, Jean Rutowski, his 3 children, George Julie and John, 3 Grandchildren and 3 Great-Grandchildren. He is also survived by his 2 siblings, Tillie Wilcox, Jake Linzmayer, Marie Parker, and Theresa McKinney, and 14 nieces and nephews.

George was a talented meat cutter and he and his family owned meat markets for many years.

George served on the USS Craven during World War II. He was a member of the VFW, American Legion, and AMVets.

George was proud of his kids, family and community. He gave unselfishly to those in need.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that this was probably the son of the George of George's Meats that owned my house. And I think that "Boo" was already dead in 2009. I believe his given name was William, but I might be wrong. Locals know him as the guy that rode a horse into Trader's on South Main amongst other things of that ilk.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    At my wife's request I am keeping it simple for dinner. I will grill some boneless/skinless chicken breast (cut in half and marinading in a vinaigrette) that will serve double duty: sandwiches for those that want that or in a romaine and crouton salad for those that prefer that.

Also at her request I am making my corn and tomato "scramble". Butter sauteed white parts of a bunch of scallions with fresh corn kernels from 8 ears added a bit into the process. About a pound and one half of vine ripe tomatoes cut into bite sized pieces marinading in apple cider vinegar and olive oil while the corn cooks.

Let the corn cool a bit and them mix it all together with the green bits of the scallions.

Salt and pepper to taste at any stage.

• Like Like x 3
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Chicken halves are on the grill--Pat's Ho-made to follow--baked potatoes on the top rack--fresh stewed yellow squash and B-B-Q baked beans to go with--

Y'all know what's in the back-porch Yeti--

8. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Trout almondine (that was swimming at lunch), brocolini, and homemade mashers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Soaking beans for baked beans tomorrow. I'll figure out what to make with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Beans are making the house smell good all day. I decided to do them slow cooker style. They are a bit wetter than I like so I will take the cover off the slow cooker for the last two hours or so.

Since I hadn't planned on smoking any meat today (I always dry rub the day before) I decided to make "wet" ribs. I boil them for about an hour and then cook them in a 325 F oven with lots of sauce for 1.5 to 2 hours in a pan sealed with aluminum foil. Near the end (about 20 minutes out) I take a quick peek to see if they need additional sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The ribs tonight were fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. I prefer dry rubbed ribs that have a bit of "tooth" in them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    For some reason we have a lot of whole wheat hamburger buns that need to be eaten. So tonight for the first time ever I am making sloppy joes. Doing it from scratch and caramelizing the onions and sweating the bell pepper before adding the ground chuck for browning.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    no cooking today, Woodyard Grill in Newberry did the honors Onion rings, slay & beans Baby Back for me Chicken for my dearly beloved.... brought the leftovers home for tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The sloppy joes were a HUGE hit and by popular demand is to become a regular in the rotation. Making from scratch is 10x better than using a packet mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is wilted kale with mushrooms (baby bella, oyster, and crimini), bacon, and garlic over a bed of cheesy polenta. I had to cook the polenta while doing other things, so I reduced the heat so that I didn't need to whisk it constantly. It came out perfect. Usually we make this dish when both of us are home so that one person can cook the polenta while the other person does the rest.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gators8

gators8 GC Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    Boneless ribeyes on the grill brushed with butter the last two turns, mashed red taters, cob corn, yeast rolls.

It was pretty tasty.

• Like Like x 3
  18. gators8

gators8 GC Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    I have always used Manwich(grew up loving the stuff) but lately it seems that it is missing something. I may have to try the home made route.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Careful @gators8--

Lurk will lead you down the path--;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is pasta puttanesca. I also started pickling some radishes because I had a lot left over from when I made green posole. It takes at least three days and they are very good. I bet they would be perfect for eating when drinking shots of potato vodka. And I just rubbed a 5 lb pork shoulder for smoking on Sunday for pulled pork sandwiches. That is my plan for eats while watching the Gator game. I'll probably make the Carolina slaw tomorrow so that it has lots of time for the flavors to marry.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1