Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re picking up pizza from Johnny’s Pizza. Their hand tossed supreme is our choice for the evening.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are in order.

Sunny here today with a high of 92*

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have fried cubed beef steak, julienne potatoes, and a freshly made Caesar salad.

Beautiful day here today with a high of 92*

Ms. Jan’s sticking with her chilled wine and I’m enjoying a tumbler of Knob Creek small batch 100*

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night we needed a quick dinner so it was boiled shrimp in Old Bay and a salad. Sometimes simple is really good.

Tonight I think my wife is making a "bread" salad with stale bread and tomatoes and other stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Been over at Alan & Abbey’s all afternoon helping Alan smoke butts for the Sheriff’s Dept for tomorrow.

It’s “Jeepfest” weekend in Jasper annually sponsored by the PCSO raising money for the underprivileged kids. Alan has cooked for this event the last 13 years. I’m proud to be in a position to help him.

On the grill up at the house we are grilling ourselves filet mignons with grilled asparagus and baked potatoes for supper.

The ice cold longnecks have been great today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I grew a cayenne pepper plant this year and made a big harvest today. Used the peppers to make a vinegar based pepper sauce. It is HOT!

Taking my SIL out to dinner for her birthday today. Of course we made dinner reservations for before the end of the UF/scUM football game.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    For pulled pork or for sliced pork? Both are good. Sliced pork doesn't need to cook as long. If it is a big thing maybe some smoked one way and some smoked the other.

Have you ever made steaks from pork shoulder? I like it with a horseradish sauce and a mess of greens. I love mustard greens best of all. Next in line are turnip greens. Collards are very good when done right but not as good. I can always get collard greens and the others are hit and miss. I guess things like chard, kale and spinach are also greens but not quite the same as mustard, turnip and collards for a Southern meal. More of a Yankee thing but can be tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

We had pulled pork (requested). I was back over at Alan’s @7:30am this morning and we pulled them. No, I have never made steaks from pork shoulder but it would have to be good.

Our preferred greens is a 50-50 combo of mustards and turnips. We’ve reached the point (for both of us) because of the indigestion we get from them that we just don’t eat collards anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Rib eyes on sale at Publix so grilling some tonight. Also roasted redskin potatoes with rosemary.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have beef teriyaki stir fry over fried rice.

Nice day here-68* low this morning 83* high this afternoon.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are our choices today.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was going to smoke some chickens and make a potato/poblano gratin but change of plans. Instead I made a bunch of jalapeno poppers to take to a friends' house. Chicken will have to wait until Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It is Tuesday so we are having Tex-Mex tacos. I find them "meh" but my family loves them. I prefer making carnitas, one of several kinds of tinga, and faking barbacoa on my KJ as better taco fillings.

Barbacoa should be cooked underground but it can be somewhat faked with a ceramic grill. Getting lamb shoulder as a cheaper cut takes some doing. Leg of lamb, lamb shanks, lamb chops are too nice for barbacoa.

And too pricey.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Smoked two chickens today and made the poblano potato gratin. House smells good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Got to watching the Braves game and never got around to posting last night. We had fried cubed pork steaks, fresh green cabbage, and julienne potatoes (using heavy cream).

Beautiful day here yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Chili dogs tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Cleaning out leftovers tonight.

It’s been a good day today.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Shredding a smoked chicken from the other day for enchiladas.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Braves game got me distracted again. I made a pot of hamburger vegetable soup for supper tonight. We had cornbread to go with.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine were our choices tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Shredded a smoked chicken last night for my wife to make chicken enchiladas but she was running late and we had take out from Gyro Plus instead. However margaritas were still on the menu. Enchiladas are on tonight's menu. I am guessing margaritas are as well.

Listened to the Lady Gator volleyball last night. Sad. Later my wife wanted me to play some music and I chose a Kinks Greatest Hits album. Ray Davies is a musical genius. My kids played Guitar Hero and I told them over and over again that "You Really Got Me" was a Kinks song and not a Van Halen song. The Van Halen cover is decent but the original is a classic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Pot of chili going now. Traditional kind. But it’s for tomorrow. Chili tastes better the next day (just does) after the flavors have melded.

Tonight it’s a meatball sub, with provolone & sautéed onions. Homecut fries on the side.

My wife …a salad with baked tilapia.

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

@scooterp—this makes you a lucky man—chili cheese dogs for lunch Monday!:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1