Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That is one hot pepper.

No sausage?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I mix sauage in there sometimes and occasionally add shrimp, but not this time. The ghost pepper salt isn't too bad. Just adds a little extra kick.

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight it is hot dogs and beer. Perfect baseball food. But better dogs and beer than typical ballpark offerings.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    It’s raw and raining all day here today. We’re picking up supper from Ably’s.

A tumbler of Knob Creek small batch is working quite well.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am not a huge KY bourbon drinker. Knob Creek is about as fancy as I will go. For brown liquor I will buy cheaper ryes like Old Overholt for a Manhatten (I like using rye instead of bourbon) or a Boulevadier which is a negroni using rye instead of gin. The later is a really underappreciated cocktail.

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

A lot of choices, a lot of options out there. If I’m not enjoying a col’beer I prefer Kentucky Straight Bourbon. I also enjoy a good vodka drink as well, usually in the summer.

7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My favorite is a very dry martini. My go to gin is Boodles but I like Hendricks as well.

And I make great margaritas. My recipe uses Espolon Blanco tequila, Cointreau, simple syrup and freshly squeezed lime juice. The basic recipe is 1 part lime juice, two parts Cointreau and four parts tequila with just the right amount of simple syrup to balance out the tartness of the limes after the addition of the Cointreau. That is the only "art" in making them. Limes vary. They are slightly better using Don Julio blanco tequila but I would rather sip that neat.

8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Like 74Nole I'm geneally a bourbon guy....but gin is my hot weather go to. The variety of gin options has just exploded and ther are a lot of really good options to experiment with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We were going to have friends over for a Midwestern comfort food dinner: meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. But we have to delay that one day. Instead it will be a chopped salad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

The extra day is so you can make fried cornbread to go with that meal you’re fixing.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Great idea about the hoe cakes. I need to get some corn meal for bird blocks anyway,

12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Fresh gulf, grouper, and Black Eyed Peas tonight

• Like Like x 2
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going with beer can chickens, grilled asparagus, and twice baked potatoes.

Sunny but still windy here today. 61*/feels like 50*…..

Friday afternoon/evening choice of adult libations for the day.

I will enjoy Baker’s 7 yr old 107* in a tumbler with one thick ice cube.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftovers before going to the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Saturday is our granddaughter’s sixth birthday so family will be celebrating with her together.

We will be having my spaghetti with freshly made Caesar salad and toasted French bread with garlic butter. Of course the birthday cake and ice cream will follow.

Adult refreshments will be on hand.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bonus points if you make homemade ice cream;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I just has some Publix shrimp while watching NCAA tournament basketball......YUM!

Now back to the games......;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Spring has come early this year for this part of the country …and I’ve been jonesing for a burger. So firing up the Egg. I’ve got 3 patties made for myself, for tonight and leftovers, for the week. I have two - 1” cut, bone in pork chops, seasoned and ready to go, to go along with my wife’s salads this week. Also making some hand cut fries.

IPAs for myself …and the wife will do something with vanilla vodka.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Some folks prefer a burger on a plancha or a cast iron skillet while I prefer my burgers over lump charcoal. Both are good. They will be tasty coming off your BGE. Some folks also get fancy with mixing different cuts of beef for their burgers but I find that using fatty chuck and grinding it myself is about as close to perfect as possible. You really want about 30% fat and not lean meat. A few weeks ago my wife bought some BOGO ground waygu and it was perfect for burgers. I think that I will now keep some of my fat trimmings to add to my burger grinds if the chuck is too lean.

And then there is the ongoing discussion on whether or not to press them. I don't.

And pork chops are WAY better over lump charcoal. I am with you there.

Do you oven fry, air fry or fry your fries in oil? I have done them the first and last way and while they are different they are both good. I don't have an air fryer.

All this discussion is making me hungry.

Tonight will be leftover meatloaf sandwiches on Publix bakery pumpernickel before going to the game. Quick meal before dashing off.

But tomorrow will be jerk chicken on the KJ after the game.

And I did get some more limes in anticipation of victory margaritas.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Just oven fry on the fries.

80% on the burgers. Which has been great for us… if you trust the source of the meat.

• Like Like x 1