Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Our New Year’s meal is going to be fried cubed pork steaks, black eyed peas and spring onions, fresh steamed green cabbage, rice with tomato gravy, and cornbread.

Libations will be by choice with several options.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't forget your black eyed peas today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’s leftovers from our New Year’s Day supper.

It’s pretty chilly up here now 35* with an expected low of 30* tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night I made chicken tinga for tacos. I always make pickled red onion as one of the toppings.

Tonight is grouper with a macadamia nut crust, yellow rice pilaf and asparagus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The grouper was awesome. I marinade with lime juice first but not too long because I don't want it to "cook" like ceviche before I bake it. It is a bit tricky.

I often make this same dish with mahimahi and it is really good but using grouper brings it up a notch. We had a well regarded visitor so I pulled out all the stops.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pork shoulder on the KJ for pulled pork. Had a little cabbage left over so I made just enough Carolina slaw for tonight. First time I made Carolina slaw I used a whole head and it was WAY too much for just the four of us.

Last night I made a red Thai curry with chicken. It really helps that I have a kaffir lime tree as a source of leaves as nothing else gives the same flavor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Another night of pulled pork sandwiches.

Nobody is complaining.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight will be spicy Thai noodles with peanuts and Thai basil.

Last night my wife had to work late so she made herself a pulled pork plate which was a pulled pork sandwich sans bun. We then spent the evening listening to vinyl. When it was time to retire I went into the kitchen to put things away and asked "Where did all the pulled pork go?" There was a lot left after I fed myself and my MIL and son. My wife said there wasn't much there when she got home. Turns out my son ate like a lumberjack last night when we weren't looking.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’re keeping it simple tonight-Taco Beef Casserole topped with garlic and black bean Tortillas chips and Sargento Tex-Mex cheese.

We’re going to Marianna tomorrow to survey the tornado damage and empty out our freezers and refrigerator. The neighborhood was hammered-4 homes on our street totaled. We’re lucky, the house is ok-just some debris and back porch furniture to replace….tornadoes! The neighborhood expects to be without power for 2-3 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Holy crap.

Take care of your neighbors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was chili dogs. They didn't give me heartburn. The Gator basketball game did.

Tonight it is chicken marsala.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sorry for the damages in your area there, Bill.

And the power outage. 2-3 weeks is a long time! :(

I haven't been over to this forum in quite a while. Just wanted to come by to say hi and then saw your post.

Keep us posted if we can help with anything, my brother....

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

In the aftermath of Hurricane Michael we were 28 days without power—

Hopefully we fair better this go-round. As is par for the course there’s a lot of folks out here that lost everything except the concrete slab.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    57661657110733.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We are having defrosted lasagna from weeks ago so not much cooking on my side other than getting the oven to 350 F.

But since we have some left over Thai basil my wife wanted the Tao-tini that Liquid Ginger makes and it is nothing like the Tao-tini recipe you see on line. It has vanilla infused vodka (I told her that Stoli is a waste of money for this and to get something cheaper), sweet and sour mix (I made some fresh with limes and Meyer lemons from my yard), muddled Thai basil with brown sugar.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cecil

cecil VIP Member

May 31, 2007
    May God bless all. I like Marianna.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight will be roasted pork tenderloin with a sesame teriyaki marinade, stir fried broccoli, and rice.

My wife also wants a reprise of the Tao-tinis since we have so much Thai basil. I will put on a "fusion" thinking cap and make a "Thai pesto" that I can serve over rice noodles with either shrimp or chicken.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are waiting on word for the power to be back on at our house in Marianna—so today in Jasper, Ga the high is 28* with an expected low tonight of 11-13*……

Yep—a big ol’pot of chili is simmering on the stove—supper tonight for our whole family is chili over rice topped with shredded sharp Sargento cheese. Sour cream and jalapeños are also available as desired.

Tostitos garlic and black bean tortillas chips will be on the side.

Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof, Tito’s, wine, and col’beers are available for the afternoon/evening.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pasta puttanesca tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife made Thai style ground pork with green beans. She stopped by the local Asian market to get some Thai bird peppers and we added a pinch of szechuan peppercorns. No coconut.

• Like Like x 1