Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Chili tonight.

Lots of wind and rain yesterday. Over 5 inches of rain and lots of sticks on the ground. My dog loved the sticks when I walked her this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are being treated to a platter of Alan’s pulled pork with the trimmings for our supper.

I made it back home from the hospital and to say the least—hospital food was not worth posting about…..and pneumonia with RSV is not any fun folks.

I’m getting better daily, as always the cough hangs on the longest.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am trying something old/something new. It is a recipe from the Joy of Cooking called tamale pie and I have never made it or had it. My wife read about in the New York Times Cooking section and showed it to me thinking that it sounded interesting. We will see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are going to have the crunchy taco/black bean casserole tonight. 26* for a low this morning and expecting more of the same temps tonight. Getting chilly here in N Ga.

A tumbler of good bourbon will do……

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Love the casserole but hate how cold it will get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yesterday I smoked a chicken mostly for leftover meat for smoked chicken enchiladas later. Also made a roasted poblano gratin as a side.

Tonight I will roast a pork tenderloin with a sesame teriyaki marinade, mashed potatoes and garlicy green beans.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to pick up supper from Ably’s here….

It’s been tough getting back on our feet this time around.

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Is Alan on vacation or was the pork shoulder cooked over the weekend?

For us pulled pork "trimmings" are Carolina vinegar slaw and baked beans. I have made my own baked beans and they are not bad but the one thing that Sonny's makes that is really good is their baked beans so we normally get some from our local Sonny's. BTW our local Sonny's is the original one. The second ever Sonny's was on South 13th in Gainesville and it has been a lot of different things over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

He smoked a couple of butts Sunday. And yes our trimmings were homemade potato salad, BBQ baked beans, and coleslaw.

@GatorLurker—
    I’m sure for us the magic in Ms. Jan’s homemade potato salad is her homemade sweet pickles. Now on our baked beans we shave up a vidalia onion, brown-drain-and add one pound of ground chuck, cut up a whole green bell pepper, and add some yellow mustard as well as bbq sauce.

Once it’s all mixed together and in its pan we lay thick cut cherry smoked bacon strips across the top. Bake, serve, and enjoy!

Ms. Jan prefers the traditional style sweeter southern coleslaw so that’s how we roll.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re having fried cubed pork steaks and gravy, mashed potatoes, and petite butter beans & sweet corn.

It’s warming up some here—lows around 36* late night/early morning.

A tumbler of Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof is serving very well as my cough medicine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Today I am making pozole rojo for tomorrow. To do it right takes most of the day. I started around 10 AM and should finish around 6 PM.

We are having friends over for Christmas Eve dinner. I am also making pickled shrimp with fennel tomorrow and my wife is making vegetarian enchiladas. Other sides as well.

Christmas Day will be an homage to my mom with standing rib roast, shrimp cocktail, mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. That was her "go to" Christmas menu but she always overcooked the beef. Sigh. Also a root veggie salad so that our veggie SIL has something to eat.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re picking up our supper from El Roble Mexican Restaurant.

Ice cold Dos Equis lagers for me and Ms. Jan is going with Margaritas on the rocks.

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Someday I will make y'all really good margaritas.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Not exactly "food" but my local Publix had two 12 packs of Lienenkugal Red lager. Never saw that available in Gainesville before.

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

You did take thick glass mugs, run water on them and put them in the freezer for tomorrow, right?

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thinking about moving them to my 55 F wine closet/cellar.

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A Christmas miracle. Yesterday my wife was at the skanky liquor store near our Publix and there was a bottle of yellow chartreuse for sale and she bought it. Both green and yellow chartreuse are getting very hard to find. She asked and was told that there were two bottles of it in their latest shipment and they sold both in just a few hours.

I still have a little bit of green.

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    All of our immediate family has gathered at Alan & Abbey’s to celebrate Christmas together.

Our meal will be our traditional smoked turkey and shank ham with all of the trimmings expected at our house.

Libations are available as desired.

Truly, Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re having chili served over white rice and topped with Sargento sharp fine shredded cheese.

Yep-that means chili cheese dogs for lunch tomorrow!

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are on tap for tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are having homemade hamburger vegetable gumbo soup.
    There is a choice of saltine crackers or Black Bean & Garlic Tostitos chips.

Happy New Year to all of y’all! Cheers!:emoji_beers::emoji_tumbler_glass::emoji_tropical_drink::emoji_wine_glass::emoji_beers:

• Like Like x 1