Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Speaking of lasagna that is what we are having.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thinking about Thanksgiving and not doing a turkey. Maybe a slow cooked leg of lamb. Maybe grouper with a macadamia nut topping. Maybe smoked ducks. Lots of time to think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Funny you should post this—we are thinking the same way—we know we’ll have our typical smoked turkey/ham and dressing at Christmas too so Ms. Jan’s volunteered to make Mama’s Sunday Pot Roast, gravy, homemade mashed potatoes and all the trimmings that go with that.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Simple tacos tonight. We drove out to Cedar Key today to get some clams and help support that industry that got SLAMMED with the hurricane.

Driving out and back we were listening to a Graham Nash (Hollies, CSN and then CSNY) memoir and she wanted me to play some Hollies. I thought I had a Greatest Hits CD somewhere but couldn't find it. Then she asked for The Byrds and I blew her mind by playing a Byrds album she had never heard before: The Ballad of Easy Rider.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Now playing Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music. His version of "You Don't Know Me" is incredible.

I think that I have said this several times but I stood right behind Ray Charles to get a rental car in San Jose. I think the guy with him was actually going to be the driver. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Just pulled into the driveway at home in Marianna. I’m sure that we’re going to pick up pizza from Johnny’s Pizza tonight.

We made it door to door (Jasper to Marianna) in 5 hours. That’s about as good as it gets for us—it always depends on Atlanta, it can easily be a 6 to 7 hour trip.

Iced cold longnecks and chilled wine work just fine with good pizza.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I saw him twice in live concert—incredible. The Orchestra and the Raelets did an hour, then he came out and did another hour. BTW, I think the important one was “Modern Sounds” (etc) Volume 2. I worked in radio in those days and played a lot of cuts from that album—Born to Lose, I Can’t Stop Loving You

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

And one of my favorite “trimmings” is cream corn made from Silver Queen…..

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling hamburger steaks from a freshly ground boneless chuck roast. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside we’re having a Caesar and bacon salad to go with.

I’m saving the longnecks for football Saturday so it’s a tumbler of Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof. Ms. Jan’s sticking with her chilled wine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftover lasagna for dinner.

I have an old Ducane propane grill that I haven't used for years. Moving it today sheared off a caster. Every burner tube is cracked. None of the ignitors work. But I ordered a new set of burner tubes, cut a block of PT 2x4 to hold up the corner that used to have a caster and I can always use a BIC "firestick" to light it. Probably only use this for roasting peppers.

11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    That will work great for any grilled/roasted vegetables you desire—Alan’s got a small gas grill that he uses specifically for his veggies. You’ll be pleased with it.

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was thinking about maybe using it for searing. Hard to quickly change a kamado style grill temperature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Now you’re showing off those multi-tasking skills!;)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making the Red Hen Mezzi Rigatoni with Fennel Sausage Ragu that I found on the Washington Post site. Apparently it is so good that when Jill and Joe Biden go to that place they both get the same dish.

I had to go to Fresh Market to get mezzi rigatoni. There is a reason for all of the different pastas. It isn't just noodles and they are all the same. Penne would not have the same mouth feel. Close, but not quite right. And I had to order the fennel pollen online. Shockingly my Publix had passata di pomodoro as that is another ingredient. Think of that as really good San Marzano tomatoes pushed through a very fine sieve.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was El Indio take-out before going to the FAMU basketball game.

Tonight I am making sauteed rapini with Italian sausage and penne. I have installed the new burner tubes on my old Ducane gas grill and originally planned to use it to grill the sausages but it has been raining all afternoon and I haven't gotten my take refilled with propane.

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thursday was chicken marsala with fettuccini. Last night was El Indio take-out after watching the UF basketball team put a hurt on the Noles at the O'Dome.

Tonight we are going to a friend's house for home made pizza but I am making bolognese sauce to take to a different set of friends house tomorrow evening.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftover pasta bolognese tonight.

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    It’s nasty weather up here in Jasper-cold/wet/windy. That said tonight we’re having baked taco casserole with refried beans and a fresh salad.

This weather calls for a tumbler of Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof for myself and Ms. Jan’s sticking with her chilled wine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Made Carolina style vinegar slaw to go with chicken thighs grilled on the KJ.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cecil

cecil VIP Member

May 31, 2007
    Cabbage soup and cornbread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1