Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Fresh snapper and watermelon!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Shrimp cocktail and big salad.

My wife …just a salad

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Escarole pork soup.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pork tinga tacos with pickled red onion and a tomatillo/avocado salsa as toppings.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Shake & Bake coated pork chops, white corn on the cob drenched in butter and salt, green beans and sliced pineapple.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thai take-out tonight.

Weird day.

7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We got back from TMH this afternoon from my mitral valve replacement that was done yesterday. Everything seems to have gone very well.

Tonight we’re having freshly made Cobb salads topped with cut up fried chicken fingers.

Kinda missing that north Ga., weather we had been enjoying. 94* here today feeling like 103*……

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    That is really great news!

Tonight I am grilling chicken thighs and boiling some corn.

My wife has covid and is not at home (local hotel) and my MIL that she travelled with is not showing symptoms and lives close by but we will be checking. Covid isn't over and the tests are not cheap. I was hoping it was for both.

We also had our upstairs HVAC unit crap out but it will be replaced tomorrow at a cost that was about what the repair would cost. We have a very old house with seperate upstairs and downstairs HVAC so I can sleep on the living room couch one more night. And what we get will be more efficient.

Hence the weird day yesterday.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Our family’s best friends since our Chipola days over here brought us supper tonight.

We are being treated to one of the best cook’s in the county’s chicken’n’dressing and a broccoli & cheese casserole with yeast rolls.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    If you and @wingtee ever come to Gainesville for some baseball I would be honored to grill/smoke my good old boys some great food.

I have gotten Memphis dry rubbed ribs down to a science. In my mind that is the very best way to do ribs.

Smoked pork shoulder for pulled pork is pretty good.

Smoked chicken is really good.

Smoked duck is to die for.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’ll be coming in for a baseball weekend next season for sure! I’ll let you know which weekend. Thanks Lurk ! Looking forward to it !
    Never had Duck, all those things sounds great

12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Making prime filets, twice baked potatoes, and scallops. Step dad, dad, and father in law are all in town so kind of a belated father’s day dinner for them. I’m sure we’ll have a salad or green beans too. I’m handling the starch and protein categories . :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are going with Friday night grilled cheeseburgers and hotdogs for two good reasons. We like them and they’ve been requested by our 5 year old granddaughter Magnolia Grace. We like to keep smiles on her face.

Our sides will be BBQ baked beans, homemade coleslaw, and a variety of chips.

The longnecks are ice cold and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Now this sounds like my kind of surf and turf. Yum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Wife with covid staying at the University Holiday Inn took the last BBQ'd chicken thigh.

MIL also with covid will be treated to two pork tinga tacos from recent leftovers.

I think they both got it flying from Philly to Jax on Monday. It is still out there. I joked with them they thay might be the last two people in the US to get covid. LOL.

I will also have two pork tinga tacos for dinner and I am feeling well if you want to know.

Added in edit: The BBq'd chicken thighs were finished with Kraft Original. I know that there are better ones out there. I really like Stubb's Original but the Kraft one does the job and is WAY cheaper. I really liked Pat's Ho-Made because it did the job a bit better than Kraft's and was also cheap but currently my Publix doesn't carry it. It has been off and on.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I prefer lobster for my surf, but it’s scallop season and all the dads love scallops. The steaks were fantastic. Picked them up at the fresh market in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight Ms. Jan’s doing her pot roast and gravy with homemade mashed potatoes, fresh cream 40’s & petite butter beans, and fried cornbread.

Our evening refreshments will be Moscow Mules for Ms. Jan and Kentucky Mules for myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A niece is visiting and she is vegan. Don't "boo". Just because it is vegan doesn't mean it is bland and inedible.

Yesterday I made a vegan tortilla soup that was really good. Plenty of spice with lots of chipotles in adobo. Charring red cabbage gave it a really good flavor depth. Almost as good as my non-vegan tortilla soup.

Tonight I am making fried tofu with French green beans (haricots vert) in a spicy Libyan sauce. I like a lot of north African cuisine.

Now feeding my carnivore son is a challange. We have had lots of leftover pork tenderloin and last night it was pork tenderloin and "dirty" rice. Tonight it will be the last remnants of the pork tenderlion and black beans.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’s leftover chicken’n’dressing and a fresh pot of pinkeye peas with snaps and pod okra.

Some dang hot weather the last few days here. Hot.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Since it is so very hot I am making a chopped salad and cold avocado and corn soup with cilantro oil.

• Like Like x 1