Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    First day at the new job. Just went with canned soup (split pea & ham) and grilled cheese when I got home.

My wife is probably more excited than I am about this new chapter… but she realized that she now has to make her own salad.

Great win today… 3 in a row. Nice!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Congrats on the job but don't settle for crappy food. It takes some planning but you can make great dinners quickly if you have the ingredients.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Made hot Italian sausage with sauteed scallions and wilted arugula over penne for dinner. Added lemon zest and juice to the sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Made some gazpacho today. MY wife reminded me that we have an old Waring blender that I could use. Well, it leaked. I tore it all apart and it is missing both rubber gaskets and the glass is chipped where the blade assembly comes through the bottom. WTF.

Aslo prepped some garlic shrimp.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have pulled pork sandwiches, BBQ baked beans, Ms. Jan’s homemade coleslaw, and French fries.

The back porch is open and the Yeti is restocked with ice cold longnecks. Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled and ready to go.

The Braves are going up against the Mets and are set to start. Scherzer vs Morton.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  6. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    About a month ago, I decided on a peach / rum smoothie drink. Got the Nutri Bullet out, loaded it w/ frozen fresh peaches (bought fresh, ripened, cut into cubes and froze them), poured rum in and decided it needed something. So like the ding dong I am at times, I pour diet cola in it, with some shaved ice and hit on. It exploded out the sides, bottom, etc due to the fizz in the cola. Pieces of peach 10+ feet away. On the floor, the ceiling, on the cabinets, all over me. Just as I start gathering towels etc to clean up, wife walks in. Not good.

Now to something good, did salmon last nite on a bed of fresh spinach which had a touch of S&P and olive oil with home made fresh pesto on top of the salmon. Hmm good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

350—

That’s both hilarious and good at the same time. Once upon a time my MIL (RIP) before we had to move her into the nursing home put liquid DAWN in her automatic dishwasher—I’ve never seen soap suds like that in my entire life…..

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftovers last night and chicken tagine tonight. I have been craving chicken since Saturday night.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    That sounds great. I think that I would want a sauce with capers on salmon but pesto could work. I think that the salmon is a stong enough flavor that it can stand up to capers. Got me thinking about putting pesto on poached mahi-mahi, though.

10. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Speaking of pesto, I need to go back and find Stanley Tucci (actor) who did the 22 regions of Italy show. He did the original pesto recipe which is somewhat different than how it is commonly made in USA. That show was interesting, particularly one on Parmesan cheese (must be this certain white cow) and Bolognese recipe with veal and bacon.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Was that parmigiano reggiano cheese and prosciutto and not bacon?

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is having her every few months lady lawyer night out for dinner so I am making something she wouldn't like but I would and my MIL would as well.

Tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes with squid tentacles over pasta.

We have a friend that is into growing tomatoes that we can't normally grow here by started them VERY early indoors and then planting outside very early. She can get a crop of cold weather tomatoes that you would never see in Florida. Great stuff.

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re having homemade chicken’n’rice with grilled cheese sandwiches done in the cast iron frying pan.

We’re house and pets sitting for Alan & Abbey as they’re on their honeymoon on an isolated Dominican island for the week.

The weather has been nice—50’s in the evening and 75-82* daytime (without our Panhandle humidity).

Adult beverages of choice fit this weather perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I wish that I could have a summer place in Western North Carolina. I have spent some summer vacations up the mountain from Maggie Valley and loved it and the people running the place. They are almost family to us.

If I win the Powerball I would have a summer place in Nova Scotia or Door County, Wisconsin and if I had the Door County place I would want another place in the UP for the summer weekends. I had two friends that were going to teach me fly fishing and I would like to learn it. One died and the other moved too far away.

I do have a third friend that fly fishes and I gave him a huge tip when we were in Sun Valley for the solar eclipse a few years ago. I took a hike (brutal, 2000 feet up in less than two miles) and he asked me what I was seeing. I was seeing a lot of small hoppers and when we went to the local fly fishing store they said that nobody was catching anything with them. He bought two flys and caught a few with that.

I really like fly fishing because you have to be in tune with nature to make it work. It is a lot like bow hunting for deer except trout are not as smart as deer and deer are pretty stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have Mongolian beef with mixed vegetables over fried rice.

We’ve had some pretty sporty weather through here the last couple of days. Rain, wind, thunder & lightning and a little bit of hail mixed in.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their days prior to the CWS getting started.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My yonger son just got back from two weeks in southern France so I am making one of his favorite dinners: carnitas tacos. The only downside is that it does make a mess.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Mmmmmmm good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Was off today, so was able to put together a pot of jambalaya. Made black eyed peas & corn on cob as well. And for the wife …I cut up a few chicken breasts and fried them up with garlic …to go along with her salads.

I’ve been getting home around 6 most nights, since I started the new job. I’m generally just too exhausted to cook but my wife has tried to do her best to help out. So most nights I either just go with a sandwich or defrost some leftovers of something out of the freezer. I did pick up some nice looking ribeyes today at the store. If the weather cooperates that will be at least one night this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't view it as a job but a form of recreation. Enjoy cooking and look forward to doing it. If all the knife work is done have a glass of wine or a cocktail while finishing dinner prep.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Meatloaf using 85/15 ground beef from the University of Florida Animal Sciences Meat Dept. $3.00/lb in 2 lb frozen tubes. They open a small store to the public every Friday. Bi-Color corn on the cob and black-eyed peas.

• Like Like x 1