Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Newberry backyard bbq is long gone. Rocky sold it a long time ago and it was never really the same. Bounced to a couple different locations. Last one was in Jonesville, next to copper monkey. It’s gone for good now.

Rocky has done bbq for woodyard and bev’s diner, so they both use his methods. Think he’s still on again, off again at both. He’s kind of a mess.

If you like the old sliced beef they used to serve at Sonny’s, which was always my favorite and still pisses me off that they removed it from the menu, they serve it at bev’s and woodyard. They also have it at aikins out in bell. Kens in lake city is the best and most consistent for that style bbq. Derrick’s in live oak, which is an old ken’s, is a close second. Dianes in Hawthorne is run by Sonny’s daughter, they also have the original recipes and still do things right. They have the original sauce, beef, ribs, and beans. All things corporate sonny’s went away from almost immediately.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    We had Mother’s Day brunch at the house this morning. Which means we’ll have a lighter dinner tonight. I’m sure we’ll roll with salads.

Picked up a 7.5 lbs pork shoulder, on sale, that will be on the menu for tomorrow. I’ve done an overnight smoke the last few times but don’t want to disrupt my wife’s sleep so planning on a 5am start in the morning.

Making potato salad & slaw a day ahead. I’ll do the bean’s tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I have done overnight smokes where I set it up and leave it. Always worked but always made me nervous.

Now I have a 6+ month old mini/toy Aussie shepherd so getting woken up for a 5 AM pee break is pretty common. Really messes with my sleep.

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Put a light coating of tupelo honey on the meat side of the ribs for the last 30 minutes on the KJ.

Didn't make the tortilla soup last night because the smoked chicken, oven roasted rosemary potatoes and salad was enough. I did char the veggies, though. I made the soup this afternoon.

After the ribs come off to rest I will try to get the KJ hot enough to grill some sausages. My wife wants to make some dirty rice with sausages to leave for my son, MIL and nephew after we leave to go to Chicago mi tomorrow. It might take some time to ramp up from the 250 F that I dial in for Memphis dry rubbed ribs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2023
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ribs are off to rest and look to be perfect. About 1/2 inch of bone showing on each rib. You really can't use an instant read thermometer with ribs because there is too much bone. I have two Thermapens but they are useless for ribs. It has to be done by feel and experience. I like them just shy of fall off the bone. I want a little chew. When I hear "fall off the bone" I think over cooked.

Opened up the upper and lower vents on the KJ to kick up the temps but didn't try to take the ceramic heat deflectors off. Too easy to break one when they are hot. We have time since we are cooking the links for meals in the future and we can wait a long time to get the temps up.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’ve had a rain day here today so we’re going with chicken’n’rice and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Pure summertime temperatures and humidity here today.

However a tumbler of Four Roses Single Barrel has made everything bearable.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just started a nice big pot of chili.

Should I bake up some cornbread?

8. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    74, what veggies do you put in the rice?
    Broccoli and a handful of spinach for me. Remember moms lectures about veggies.

Also I put in a can of cream of chicken soup to the rice and the results were unreal. Best tasting and moist rice I've ever had.

9. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    The handful of times I’ve done the overnight smoke I usually put it on around 10:00, then wait an hour to make sure it is steady between 225-250 before turning in. Set my alarm for 2, to check on it …then get up around 6. It’s ready to be pulled and wrapped around noon. With it being a work night, the 2am check was sure to annoy my wife which is why I went with an early morning smoke start this time.

I put it on at 4:45 this morning, then pulled it off & wrapped at 3. Served at 5. When you grab it with a couple of tongs and it just falls apart you’ve hit the sweet spot. Both kids came by …it was a great meal, along with the beans, Carolina slaw, potato salad and cob corn. They each took home some leftovers and I have enough left for a meal or 2 myself, and I’ll freeze some for Brunswick stew for sometime later.

I went with your recommendation @GatorLurker …on the buns. I went cheap store brand and have to agree …came out great.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I’ve used the cream of chicken soup with my chicken’n’rice my whole life but I don’t add any vegetables into it.

11. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Grilled Korean short ribs, sautéed spinach, fried rice and pickled cucumbers & onions. It was outstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades Cactus Dust. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside we’re going to have freshly steamed green cabbage and yellow squash & onions.

The back porch Yeti is full of longnecks and iced down. Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled and awaiting her.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    It has been awhile since I’ve done the Korean short ribs. I made the marinade a little thicker so it caramelized much better on the grill. Also, the Asian pear I used seemed to be a better tenderizer than the apples I’ve used in the past. But then again it could have just been a better cut of meat. Anyhoo, came it out really good.

For tonight, I have leftover fried rice and stir fried veggies… and we’ll have pork pot stickers that we picked up at Trader Joe’s. We bought a couple of bags from there some time ago and were really impressed. And really cheap.

Wife said she’ll pick at it as well, along with her salad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Got back from Chicago late last night. Had to spend some time with my puppy so stayed up until 1:30 AM watching Moneyball through the 20 win streak. Had great food and wonderful times with family. Went to Pullman Days (an annual event since the Pullman Works became a National Monument run by the Park Service) with guided tours of the Pullman Works rail car area on the far Southside. I grew up around there. They had three private Pullman cars and one of them was the rail car that took Elvis to Garceland after he finished his military service. I got to sit where Elvis sat without knowing it. It came out in the spiel about the history of the rail car. So my hips have something in common with the famous Elvis hips.

Anyway we bought some Vienna Beef hot dogs and poppy seed hot dog buns and sport peppers for proper Chicago dogs. Where we went shopping didn't have the "correct" sweet pickle relish (it is BRIGHT green but tastes pretty much the same as regular sweet pickle relish) but we have everything else (high quality pickle spears, yellow "ball park" mustard, finely diced white onion, diced or sliced tomatoes and celery salt). Please take note that there is no ketchup on a Chicago dog. It has tomato instead.

Even though we had some Chicago dogs at the Pullman days from a food truck we have to have them now. The buns have a short life expectancy and are never right if you freeze them and then defrost. And my son who didn't make the trip really wants one ASAP.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Almost forgot.

We went to a "classic" Southside resteraunt where a relish tray is just part of dinner much like a basket of bread at many places. Relish trays were always something we had at any family gathering for dinner. I have just finished reading "Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper Club" that is about the family history of running a "supper club" north of the Twin Cities and it reminded me of a relish tray being an essential part of any special dinner. A great read for those of us that grew up in that environment. Nice to see some of that culture lingers on. BTW I had braised oxtails as one of the Wednesday night specials for my meal. I have no idea how they made any money on my dinner. Oxtail (actually steer tail) used to be a cheap cut of meat but now it is pricey because it is SO flavorful.

Anyway one of the things served was pickled green bell pepper and it was great. I am trying to make my own version right now.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going with Teriyaki Chicken w/mixed vegetables over fried rice.

I believe it’s Moscow mules for Ms. Jan and Kentucky Mules for me tonight.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    With both kids being home for summer, Im back to making food for the week on Sunday evenings. They work crazy hours so its usually steak fajita meat and a bunch of chicken. Ive started doing chicken tenderloins on the blackstone as well as full chicken breasts on the Egg. Anybody have a top secret life hack to get those tendons out of the top of the tenderloins besides cutting them out?

18. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Before that it was Press and Ed's, located back in the neighborhood. You are right about their goat and their hot sauce was fiery!
    I am near Oban Scotland. Haggis, neeps and potatoes with brown ale and a wee bit of Islay for dessert.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

That’s the only way I’m familiar with Nitro—you can take your chicken breasts and slice them up to a similar size and cook them in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes and have tender meat for your fajitas that way.

I guess you could put a little sear on them with your blackstone after that but they’re likely to crumble some when you turn them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    We really enjoyed the stir fry veggies the other night …so doing it again. This time with Chinese cashew chicken (thighs), paired with white rice. I made some Asian dressing, for the salads.

The wife has been easing off her bland dinner menu the last week or 2. So unless she calls an audible last minute, I think she’ll be ok with this. Here’s to hoping, anyway.

• Like Like x 2