Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftovers.

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight Kayla is treating us to Chicken Alfredo with fresh broccoli, Caesar salad, and yeast rolls.

Beautiful weather today with the low 42*-45* and the high 69*-71*

Perfect relaxation day (‘specially if our Gators had won), nevertheless—

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making spicy sesame noodles with peanuts in a Thai style. Just got a new bottle of Red Boat fish sauce (the best in my opinion although the Thai Kitchen brand at our Publix is acceptable) from the Asian store as well as Thai basil and Vietnamese egg noodles. Of course with other things like sesame oil, garlic, ginger, scallions, sugar, hot chili oil and soy sauce.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Grilling a bone-in ribeye for myself and a few chicken breasts for my wife with a garlic herb marinade. Grilled asparagus & baked potato on the side, as well as a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Have a pot of sauce with braciole and a few meatballs simmering. Serving over penne pasta, with a salad and artesian bread on the side.
    My wife is having some of the grilled chicken from yesterday to go along with her salad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Since I was near Northwest Seafood today I picked up some mahi-mahi (why don't we call it dorado or dolphin instead use a Hawaiian name?) so making the soy/brown sugar glazed version with roasted brocolli as the main side.

Also picked up some frozen squid. It soon will be hot and cool squid salad is awesome for dinner on a really hot day.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  7. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns and English muffins.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken tinga tacos and tostones.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Baked Ziti with 85/15 ground beef and ground sausage, spaghetti sauce, covered with 2 kinds of cheese baked in a pan for 90 minutes.

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Last night in Jasper-work days all around so we’re going to Olive Garden.

I know our bunch pretty well—I’m going to guess it’ll be lasagna all around the table, house salad, and cheesy bread sticks with Alfredo sauce.

Drinks of choice of course….

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Quick lasagna.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    After totones yesterday my range was a greasy mess and it took a few hours to clean up. After you dip the once fried and smashed plantains in garlic water they really spray oil when you throw them in.

Also made an 8' plant bench today. I think that I might buy another 8 foot PT 2x4 for a middle of the bench prop. It is probably strong enough for plants but not quite strong enough for lots of people to sit on it.

Anyway I have asked my wife to bring home take-out as I don't want to cook tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Slab of pork ribs marinated for 24 hours with hickory barbecue sauce on 1 side and mustard based Cattleman's on the other, plus blackened seasoning, celery salt, black pepper and lemon pepper salt. Slow cooked in the over for 5 hours at 170 degrees, then hi-broiled for 5 minutes on each side. Had bi-color corn on the cob with plenty of butter and salt, along with kidney beans and strawberries for a little dessert.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making chili tonight as a quick pregame meal. I hope that the weather cooperates.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’re back home and as much fun as we had, it’s always good to get back home.

Tonight I’ll be grilling thick cut bone-in pork chops indirect over pecan smoke. The seasonings will be Everglades and coarse black pepper.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh snapped green beans, petite Yukon potatoes, and bi-color cob corn. Garlic Texas toast will be on the side as well.

The back porch is open and fully stocked for your beverage of choice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Hot dogs tonight. Have some Michigan sauce I defrosted and made some Carolina firecracker slaw. French fries will be paired with it. Wife is having a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling hamburger steaks from a freshly ground boneless chuck roast. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside we’re going to have a freshly made Caesar salad and Garlic/Cheese Texas toast.

The longnecks are iced down and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I had a solid job offer last night …and I’m 80% certain another will be extended early next week. So I may have a decision to make. Glad this chapter is coming to a close. This whole process was a grind.

So the wife and I are celebrating by dining out tonight. It’s been a while. Pasta Pane, one of our favorite places that specializes in rustic Italian. They have a braised pork shank that is top notch. I’ll probably start with the sautéed shrimp & artichoke hearts. Then move to the pork shank and artesian salad. Pretty sure my wife will go with their eggplant parm, along with a salad.

Should be back before the game.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife made reuben sandwiches before the game. I thought she was going to bring home take-out but this was better.

Tomorrow I am making tortilla soup and smoking a chicken. My nephew that now lives in Holland likes BBQ from all over the US and he can't get it there hence the chicken. Monday I will make Memphis style dry rubbed ribs. While I love smoking pork shoulder for pulled pork Memphis style dry rubbed ribs are much classier. Tuesday my wife and I go to Chicago to visit family so he will be on his own for BBQ in Gainesville after Monday.

I am picky when it comes to BBQ. I will not suggest Sonny's except for their baked beans. Mojo Hogtown BBQ has some good things but not uniformly great. Pearl Country Store in Micanopy is pretty good but a bit of a drive. It looks like nothing from the outside but don't get fooled. Good things are inside.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I haven't been for a LONG time but Newberry Backyard BBQ was good back then. I have no idea if they still are.

What I really miss in Gainesville is Ed's BBQ at the corner of University and Waldo Road. They had fantastic BBQ goat. A place for locals and long gone.