Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be leftovers—it’s round two of Ms. Jan’s pot roast supper. Potatoes, carrots, gravy and freshly steamed green cabbage.

Low key night on hand getting ready for the upcoming weekend series.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Inch thick center cut pork chops on the KJ with indirect heat and a simple rub. Should be juicy.

Carrot bisque soup with sherry. My son loves this. He first had it at the Island Hotel in Cedar Key and I reproduced it for him about a week later. He was impressed that I could taste a dish and know exactly how to reproduce it. Well, this one was easy. Every flavor was easy to pick out. The only thing was getting the balance correct.

I used to play a game with my wife when we were first married and going out for dinner. It was to name every ingredient in the dish with empasis on the spices. It is like when I go to see a baseball game and I think about every pitch that has been thrown in an at bat and previous at bats and what will be thrown next. Yes, I could just enjoy the meal or the game without getting into the weeds but I want to truly understand how it was put together. Both the pitching approach and the dish. I think that adds to the enjoyment of both the meal and the game at a deeper level.

After some Googling I have traced the recipe for the carrot bisque back to a Bon Appetit recipe. Very tasty and not hard to make.

Rice pilaf as a side. I will cheat and use the Near East box but will use chicken broth instead of water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Cod loins! :emoji_fish:

• Like Like x 1
  4. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sauteed tilapia, spanish rice, peas and a multicolored carrot tarte tatin. Tuxcedo chocolate mousse cake for dessert.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it will be a pot of chicken’n’rice and grilled cheese sandwiches.

The longnecks are ice cold and the wine is chilled.

Let’s get back on track Gators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Anything like square grouper?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    square grouper.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A friend is showing up for a quick visit with cheese and crackers. Then throwing together some sandwiches and a salad before heading to the game.

And what is up with tee shirt weather for a February night game? I remember one game where it was so cold and in extra innings that I just wanted anybody to score a run so I could go home and get warm. IIRC Buddy R either scored the winning run or drove it in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    No need to brag about the tank top weather there @GatorLurker … it’s 26 here …and windy. But then again, it’s the life I chose for 5 beautiful months.

I was thinking simple for tonight.Then the kiddos heard about the sauce from last night. So my daughter came by for lunch. Then my son and his gal, for dinner. So tonight was a double play, from yesterday. Good eats and good company.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I’m outside in the snow, grilling a couple of bone-in pork chops and marinated chicken breasts. It’s for my wife so she has something to go with her salads for the week.

For me, after 2 days of pasta & sauce, I’m having an egg salad sandwich on a sub roll. Chips & a pickle on the side… maybe a beer.

Lots of Gator sports action today. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have open face roast beef sandwiches with the last of the roast beef and gravy.

The longnecks are ice cold and the wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight we are having Vienna Beef hotdogs. We have a pickle relish but not the neon green relish that you find in Chicago and our buns won't have poppy seeds but everything else will be like a real Chicago dog. I even have celery salt.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am roasting pork tenderloin marinaded in a sesame teriyaki sauce. Texmati rice as a side. Stir fried broccoli as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Using some leftover pork tenderloin for a Thai red curry.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’ve got a meatloaf to go along with mashed potatoes and a pot of petite butter beans & silver queen whole kernel corn.

Partly cloudy and very windy here today-I put off mowing the yard to stay out of the wind blown dust bowl. However, the laundry is caught up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Left over lasagne defrosting as I type.

The parents of my 31 year old son's girlfriend are coming through Gainesville for a couple of days on their way back to Delaware. I think that I am making mahi-mahi with a panko/macadamia nut crust tomorrow.

Getting our over 100 year old two story wood frame house repainted starting today, so things will be a mess for about a month. A fair amount of wood repair is required.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Change in dinner plans. I am smoking two chickens, making scalloped potatoes with fennel and a salad.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling leg quarters seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades Cactus Dust with baked potatoes on the top rack.

Our sides will be petite butter beans and freshly stewed yellow squash and vidalia onions.

Let’s get tonight’s efforts in our game dialed in for our upcoming matchup this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  19. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Korean spicy pork for tonight. Pork shoulders were on sale .99 cents a pound. Mama was not happy, she said …”it’s too cold for you to go in & out of the house while smoking that thing” … so Korean spicy pork it is! I cut off about a 2 lbs block, in 1/8 inch slices and marinated since this morning. Froze the 6 or so pounds left. I guess we’ll wait for April.

I’ll sear it, with steamed rice …and pickled cucumbers & green onion salad for the sides.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is mahi-mahi with a macadamia nut and panko topping. No grouper at Northwast Seafood but mahi is almost as good and much cheaper so not a huge deal.

As an appetizer I made pickled shrimp with fennel.

Asperagus and a salad as sides.

There was a dog wandering in the fairly busy street in fron of my house this morning. Had a collar but no tags. Took her to the vet, but no chip. Walked her around the neighborhood for over an hour but nobody was looking.

Had a neighbor that knew what to do on social media for lost pets do all the postings, but no response as of yet.

Sweet older female chihuahua that has at least the rudiments of obedience training.

My wife is always the cynic and said that this dog was abandoned.

• Like Like x 1