Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Tonight, I made a pot of black eyed peas, with bacon & ham, a batch of collard greens and jalapeños cornbread.

I have been holding off kicking in the new year because I couldn’t find mustard greens anywhere (my preference). So I finally gave up and went with collards. Turned out well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

We prefer mixing mustards and turnips at our house.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I could be wrong but seems like foods are not as tasty as they used to be.

Even fruits and veggies.

Kinda discouraging.....

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mustard greens are the best greens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I made skillet fried potatoes with cubanelle peppers, onions, and linguica sausage.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have baked Ziti with a fresh Caesar salad and French bread with garlic butter.

The evening’s entertainment will be watching the National Championship Game.

The bar is stocked and ready for all to enjoy.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is cooking black eyed peas with ham and onions.

My MIL gave me some coconut balsamic vinegar today because she saw some cooking show where they used it. I am thinking about making shrimp with lime infused olive oil (persian lime zest and kafir lime leaves) with the vinegar over pineapple rice.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Time to look for something else on TV.

9. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Last night I made stuffed peppers. My first time making it. Used red bell peppers sliced in half lengthwise, with seasoned beef & chorizo, onion, Spanish rice and Colby Jack cheese. Salad on the side. My Wife and I really enjoyed it. Not sure why I never made it before but I’ll start now. It’s a relatively easy meal and inexpensive.

Tonight, we are having garlic butter shrimp over linguine with garlic bread and salad.

Last night’s game was not enjoyable. I’m glad we don’t have many dog fans up here. I don’t think I could handle listening to them today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife requested that I make a dinner that was appealing to our carnivore son that still lives at home so I am smokimg some St Louis cut pork ribs with apple wood smoke. Made Carolina slaw (that he won't eat) and my wife is bringing home some Sonny's beans.

Also started marinading some jerk chicken thighs for Friday. They are always better when they marinade for a couple of days. I make my own jerk sauce using datil peppers instead of Scotch bonnets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be chicken fried pork chops, green beans and new potatoes and homemade biscuits.

The mountains are beautiful but these ol’panhandle folks are bout ready to head home-we look to travel Friday morning. It’s been a great holiday season and visit.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    At first I was WTF? thinking you were talking about the Gator/LSU game.

You were right about the Dawgs/Horny Toads game. I turned it off at halftime.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Broccoli & Cheese soup tonight, with a wedge salad on the side.

Big win last night. I picked a horrible night to turn in early. A solid win on the road in red stick and we got the OL transfer commitment out of Baylor … which I was not expecting. Great news to wake up to though

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Does Alan live up in the mountains near Helen?

I once went up there with a bike riding friend and we rode all of the infamous 6 Gaps in one day. We ran into a State Trooper at a convenience store late in the day and he said that just about every weekend they are pulling a motorcyclist out of the woods.

A fun and hard day on my bicycle.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Alan’s got 8 acres about 7.5 miles north of Jasper-we’ve bought another 40 acres that join up to his-we’re kicking around putting up a place out of everyone’s way.

We’ll just see how it plays out….

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    So a bit west of where I was thinking.

How is the deer hunting?

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A lot of Gainesville folks own summer places in western North Carolina. Bigger mountains.

Bike riding climbs up to the Blue Ridge Parkway can be tough, but the climbs on the Parkway are not very hard and the descents are not technical. I once did the Beech Gap climb to the Parkway during a Thanksgiving weekend and it was long and pretty steep at the end. I didn't see another bike rider doing it. I had my wife pick me up at a US highway that descended off of the Parkway because it wasn't safe to descend on a bike. It had snowed recently and there was a lot of sand on the US highway going down. We had scoped it out a few days before.

Anyway we are having meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes and brocolli for dinner.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

The deer hunting is very good up here.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Life can be curveballs when you’re expecting heaters—

I am now in the hospital up here saddled with double pneumonia. Now it’s unsure of when we get to travel home.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yikes!

Heal up!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1