Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Pizza for tonight, but the oven kind. Our first big snow day, today …coming down pretty good. So the BGE use from now through April will be intermittent.

Going with one big pizza rather than 2 smalls. Meatball and roasted red pepper & onion on one side. Pepperoni & black olive on the other. Iceberg wedge salad on the side. And opening a bottle of cab.

Outside of coffee this morning… and a yogurt cup I’ve had nothing to eat all day. I’m starving.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Mongolian beef with spring onions, water chestnuts, and fresh broccoli tops over fried rice for supper here tonight.

Overcast pretty much all day but no rain, just some fog this morning.

The back porch is open and adult refreshments are available.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have white chicken chili topped with thinly sliced jalapeños and Sargento Tex-Mex fine shredded cheese, and multi-grain Tostitos scoops on the side.

The Dos Equis Lager longnecks are already on ice. Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife was making turkey tetrazini and then a friend of ours was coming over for dinner. He has a weird dietary thing where he can't eat most anything cooked with flour unless it is non GMO and has no hint of Round-U. So my wife had to go out and get something he can eat. I am left cooking the mushrooms and other things. I know that I need to make the mushrooms give up their water so I'm good with this part.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’ve got two racks of baby backs about to go on the BGE for tonight’s supper.

Ms. Jan’s making her homemade Mac’n’Cheese, and we’ll also have a pot of fresh pink eye peas with snaps and pod okra.

The back porch Yeti is restocked and Ms Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is uber simple. It is Tex-Mex hard tacos with ground turkey instead of ground beef. Old El Paso taco seasoning.

I feel like I need to take a shower after admitting that.

My wife wanted it. She likes crappy tacos. They are OK but real tacos are so much better.

The only thing that is not horrible is that I made fresh pico de gallo with serrano instead of jalapeno peppers and will cube some avocado with a squeeze of lime as a topping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    @GatorLurker — we salute you!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Red clam sauce on linguine for tonight. Don’t have whole clams on the shell this time. I usually do both …2 dozen or so on the shell and a can or 2 of chopped clams. Strictly have to go with canned this time. Went with 2 cans. Still turned out great.

Fresh baguette and salad on the side.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken piccata with a side of sauteed spinach.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’s going to be leftover white chicken chili—good night for it, overcast all day with a big front blowing in this evening. Supposedly big thunderstorms with a good chance of tornadoes—Oh boy….

Going with the Kentucky Mule tonight and Ms. Jan’s wanting a Moscow Mule.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    When I took my son to see a Panthers hockey game we went to a nice place and I usualy order a Hendrick's martini when I have that option but I had a hankering for a Moscow mule and I didn't see Hendrick's behind the bar or on the drink menu. I should have sent my "mule" back. It wasn't in a copper mug.

Just a few things get under my skin when it comes to cocktails and that is one. Like cooking the presentation is important. The other one that kills me is seeing a martini menu and every drink is vodka based and none have gin. WTF?

And I was in Detroit a few years ago and went to what was THE cocktail bar in town and ordered an aviation. It is a drink from the 1920's that has had a new life with the urban hipster crowd. It didn't have creme de violette in it. That is what gives it a wonderful sub-taste and the purple/blue color and hence the name of the drink. A wonderful cocktail if you have Luxardo, creme de violette and a gin that works with the other ingedients. I like to make it with Boodles.

And of coarse freshly squeezed lemon juice. Duh.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    In keeping with we don’t like to waste good food—tonight we’re going to finish up the smoked baby backs and Ms. Jan’s homemade Mac’n’Cheese.

We will steam a fresh head of green cabbage to go with the leftovers.

The back porch is open and restocked with our favorites.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making Vietnamese style pork chops (marinaded with brown sugar, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, and scallions) and green beans with pines nuts and grated parmigiano reggiano. Kind of a culture clash. I would call it fusion. I might add some kaffir lime leaves in the marinade to give it a little bit of a Thai flavor. I think that the flavors between the pork chops and the green beans will pair well, though. I know that almost everything I cook is a cultural appropriation and I don't care. I just like food that tastes great.

I also started marinading 5.5 pounds of chicken thighs in my home made jerk sauce to grill this weekend. A friend of ours was born in Jamacia and her only criticism when she tasted mine was that it wasn't spicy enough but she understood that it just wasn't for her and me. She said the flavor profile was spot on. Some day I will get some pimento/allspice wood for smoke for grilling jerk chicken. Until then I add extra allspice to the jerk sauce.

If you ever get to Athens for a baseball game get food at Kelly's. Great jerk chicken. I was in Athens for a basketball game and ate there and it was really good. I asked the owner if they had callaloo and he gave me a wistful look. They had collards instead. It is the South, after all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    It is my daughter’s birthday…well, it’s actually tomorrow. But we have another snow storm moving in overnight, so doing the birthday dinner tonight. She requested braciole. So making my 3rd Italian meal this week… Ughhh. I can already feel the weight I’m gaining.

I make this maybe twice a year and it’s one of those meals that make the kiddos come home. I went with good piece of top round. Got it really thin. Stuffed with prosciutto, grated pecorino, fresh parsley and bread crumbs. Rigatoni is the pasta of choice to go along with it. A side salad, and garlic bread.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Snow storm turned out to be a dud. So everyone is coming over tonight for my daughters bday anyway. They have decided to order Japanese takeout. I’ll be abstaining, with all the fat ass meals I’ve had this week. Defrosting some vegetable/beef soup from last week, for myself, but may make a grilled cheese to go along with it.

Not sure about tomorrow yet. I usually plan the game day meals well in advance. 2:30 kick off is not ideal …so probably something simple like a sub sandwich. And I do have one bag of boiled peanuts leftover, so I’ll be snacking on those as well.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling cheeseburgers. Our sides will be a variety of chips and BBQ baked beans.

We had our first fire of the season last night in the SOLO stove with a low of 38*….

The longnecks are ice cold and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pan fried potato cubes with sauteed cubanelle peppers, onion and linguica sausage.

Chicken thighs still marinating in my jerk sauce. Should be ready tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    My son is coming over to watch the game. We landed on meatball subs for dinner. Got fresh sub rolls from the bakery… I’ll top mine with a smidge of sauce, sautéed onions, slices of provolone and sprinkled with grated mozzarella. Then chips and pickle on the side, and have coronas & hazy Sam adams ipas ready to go in the fridge.

With that meal being more than filling I decided to leave the boiled peanuts alone this weekend.

Im sure my wife will go with just a salad (which she often does) and may have a meatball or 2.

Hoping for win #7 this afternoon. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We put on a big pot of hamburger vegetable soup for our supper tonight about mid-morning.

Fried cornbread will be on the side.

The back porch is open and ready for your leisure. Choice of adult beverages is the menu.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Penne with hot Italian sausage, garlic, scallions, fennel seeds lemon zest, and vermouth. Also a salad.

New (less than a year old) high end Bosch dishwasher is not working. I can reset it, but as soon as I close the door it goes into "Pause" mode. Still under parts and labor warranty. Could be a lot of different things. For the time being it is a very expensive dish drying rack.

• Agree Agree x 1