Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’ve got boneless pork country cut ribs grilled indirect over applewood smoke, seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. Naturally, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside to go along with it’ll be fresh steamed green cabbage and fresh steamed yellow squash and vidalia onions. We will also finish up Ms. Jan’s potato salad from Easter Sunday.

The ice cold longnecks will be assisting the cook again this afternoon.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    My wife bought one too. Can I drop mine off at your house and pick it up when it's ready?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ahh, the house is full of the smells of the big pot of spaghetti sauce as it is simmering for this evening’s meal. A fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes and Italian garlic bread will be the sides.

Afternoon ice cold longnecks are on tap along with a nice bottle of Cav on the table with our meal.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is making a soup with Oriental veggies, ground pork, and rice noodles. I am going to suggest the addition of fish sauce, Sichuan peppercorns and scallions if we have them. Sichuan peppercorns are not actually peppercorns and have an unusual flavor that cannot be faked with anything else and also has a mouth numbing effect that some find unpleasant. I like it. Maybe it is an acquired taste.
    Our local Oriental market has all kinds of interesting greens and my wife bought a lot her last time there and we need to use them up.
    I'll soon be getting the KJ prepped ahead of time and am planning on getting up early tomorrow to start that 8 pound pork shoulder and then go back to bed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I just prepped the KJ so it is lighting, getting the heat deflectors on, getting the drip pans on, getting the grills on and the getting up to temp before getting the meat goes on. This takes about one hour. If I get up when our new dog wants me to get up before I want to it will be 4 AM and by 5 AM the pork shoulder will be on. By 7 or 8 PM it will be ready to pull.

Some more sleep will be in there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I did get up at 4:33 AM today. Pork shoulder is really close now at 5:35 PM. It was boneless so maybe that makes it a tiny bit quicker.

Carolina slaw was made around noon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yum.

Lots of left over meat for pork enchiladas!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife will be making risotto tonight with a Caesar salad because we have romaine that we have to use as well as asparagus. Asparagus risotto is great.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’ve got fried cubed pork steak, fresh green beans and new potatoes, and another pot of fresh steamed yellow squash and onions.

We also have a Zoom cocktail hour lined up with several of our favorite growing up friends to beat social distancing as best we can. We started this last week and it actually was quite entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tomorrow evening we are going to the house of a couple that are good friends and drink wine in their driveway ... a long ways apart. We did this about two weeks ago. It is workable, but sub-optimal. Over the years we would get together once a week and watch something serial on TV. We had been watching Succession, but that is now on hold. The Chernobyl series was really great. Loved it.

My better half is making pork enchiladas with the left over pulled pork tonight. There will be enchiladas in the freezer because there is a lot left over. Good eats for a while.

And my MIL's knee is giving her grief so I am now walking her dog and my dog. Time to take mine out for an evening walk.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Succession and Chernobyl were both fantastic. Ive been trying to get my wife to watch Succession, but it seems she'd rather watch ridiculous stuff like Tiger King instead. LOL. Succession is right up there as one of my favorite shows ever.

I enjoyed Westworld season 1 but season 2 kind of lost me. I havent started season 3 yet but Im going to give it one more try before dropping it.

I have been firing up the Egg just about every other night and grilling for these bottomless pits. LOL. Hope everyone is staying safe and navigating this crazy time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we will be treated to Ms. Jan’s baked Ziti. A fresh Caesar salad, Italian garlic bread, and a nice Cav to go along with.

The afternoon has a chance of having back porch ice cold longnecks and a beautiful sunset involved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken tagine tonight with cous-cous.

Last lecture of the semester and my senior design students presented their final design report to the sponsor company.

Tomorrow my thermo kids get Exam 4 to be uploaded by noon on Wednesday (the last day of classes for the Spring semester and during my class period). It is a "take home" exam. I wanted to start it on Wednesday and have it due Thursday, but that ran afoul of the UF reading day policies. No final in the course as that was what the original instructor had. So Exam 4 is not cumulative but you cannot do cycle analysis without knowing the earlier material.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    So many times in our lives it turns out that simple is what we are looking for. Tonight’s supper surely fits that criteria.

Grilling wings with a cold tray as the side.

Ice cold longnecks are the side for the cold tray.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is pizza from Blue Highway in Micanopy. I might pass on that even thought I love to eat it. Still trying to lose weight even though I am paused at losing 25 pounds. The early weight was water weight loss associated with glucose loss. I'd like to lose 10 more pounds, but not muscle mass pounds. It will be slow and require physical activity. Now is the hard part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’ve put together a Mexican meatloaf combining two recipes from Pioneer Woman’s and El Paso’s. It’s smelling pretty good in the oven.

Sides will be El Paso Refried Beans covered in cheese and rice mixed with yellow kernel corn, red and green peppers, and vidalia onions.

Giving the col’beers a break tonight and treating myself to a Kentucky Straight Bourbon and ginger ale over cracked ice.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Add a dash or two of bitters to your drink. It will pep it up a bit.

Getting close to a Wisconsin old fashion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am making pasta Bolognese tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  19. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think we are going to pick up some mardi gras wings from Publix and make the Sams club waffle fries to go along. BTW - they are based off Chick Fila waffle fries and I highly recommend if you have a Sams card.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilled sea scallops with leakS and tossed salad (and Chardonnay)

• Like Like x 2