Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Our recruiting ratings are plummeting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GTRM8, Dec 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    The final ranking is disappointing because of where it was at just a month ago. Given the state of the program in total, it's about what you would expect it to be, middle of the road SEC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Loser: Florida and Florida State
    Florida and Florida State still had top-10 classes, but there were some unexpected bumps for both teams.

Bolden was another painful Signing Day flip for Florida State, and might have a little too much like Travis Hunter in 2022. Florida State also made a late push for Smith, who affirmed his commitment to the Buckeyes.

Let's check in on Florida ...

How did that happen? Four-star linebacker Adarius Haynes flipped from the Gators to Miami, and four-star defensive lineman Amaris Williams (Clinton, N.C.) flipped to Auburn. Defensive back Zavier Mincey (Mainland, Daytona Beach, FL) was expected to flip to Alabama.

Then, five-star defensive lineman LJ McCray – Mincey's teammate – did not commit on Wednesday. McCray is expected to commit in the next few days, and the Gators could make good on that.

Five-star quarterback DJ Lagway (Willis, Texas) did stick with his commitment.

The state of Florida had five recruits with a five-star rating this season, a list that includes Smith and Robinson. IMG Academy tackle Jordan Seaton and defensive lineman David Stone, an Oklahoma commit, also went out of state. If McCray goes out of state, then that would mean neither the Gators nor the Seminoles could keep the elite five-star talent in state in this cycle.

The bolded statement is a major strike on Napier. This was one of his supposed selling points becoming the HBC at Florida, to recruit in-state players, yet we couldn't recruit a single 5 star player from the state. That's on both programs. Yet, here is Freeze up at Auburn in his 1st full year of recruiting and he hit a 600 ft grand slam. He stole 3 5 star players away from A&M, FSU, and Georgia (or was it Michigan?) and will finish with a composite Top 3 class. Then, Auburn also cleaned up in-state with several of the best HS players I've seen this year. Auburn is going to turn heads next season if Freeze can land a quality QB and he continues to build his program.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    #6 on ESPN

• Like Like x 2
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Lol this article is a mess. Mincey hasn't committed to even be considered a flip and McCray didn't delay his signing...which...was to Florida

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    And yet the teams that consistently have Top 5 recruiting class - Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. are the ones winning conference titles and in the CFP. I agree that sometimes 5-stars don't pan out and 3-stars sometimes turn out to be better than originally rated. But overall, the teams and coaches with the best recruiting ranks win more games. I hope Napier can improve on 6-7 and 5-7, but that's a daunting schedule we're facing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Our composite ranking is #16. And I would have to see the link to ESPN's ranking that has us as #6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    We're just going to have to nut up and do the best we can. And hope we see progress regardless of record.

Wait until next, next year I'm sure is depressing to many but there's no crying in football.

8. rump74

rump74 GC Legend

Dec 18, 2009
    Really? I wasnt aware of that. I thought each player got one xfer with immediate eligibility and subsequent xfers required the traditional "sit out a year".

9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I bet he drinks Bourbon

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    No fair laying those stats out without including the attrition at Georgia, too. Just curious, because it seems like they have a lot of transfers, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    This is false.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think that's only in Baseball....lots of crying in Football!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Look up temporary judicial injunction on portal eligibility limits.....it happened this month.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    He's obviously not drinking enough of it then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Lmao at all of these over-reactionary, shortsighted threads/posts.
    Some miserable beings.
    God Bless you

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
  18. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Perfect. Make sure to not sit next to him at the holiday party when he’s downing his bourbon eggnog…cuz you know, lactose intolerance.

19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Agree with being disappointed because of the late drop but I'm still happy with the core that was signed. I'd also add that the remark about finishing "what you would expect" is a little more telling about the current state of recruiting given where Auburn ended up. They were middle of the road to and had some bad losses yet they hired a coach with a dirty reputation and bought a great class. Certainly results matter to a degree but at the end of the day the institution, the boosters and the coach have to decide that nothing else matters but buying talent.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Daunting schedule or not, without a winning record next season, CBN won’t be able to sign many high profile recruits next season. Win or bye.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.