Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Our CWS Experience

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by volungator, Jun 21, 2023.

1. volungator

volungator All American

My wife and I spent the past several days in Omaha. We attended the first two games of the Gators and the Vols. The ballpark is first class. The locals were likewise first class. Omaha takes great pride in this event. Tickets to the first games were (IMO) stupid expensive, $150 each. The second games were considerably less. For three of the four game we sat at the top of the lower level just beyond third base. Thank God for the shade. Every fan base was nice and cordial, including LSU, even during the post game bar parties. The gear was crazy expensive. Shirts were $40+. We actually purchased ours online for $25. The entire stadium was -- obviously -- ORU fans. We ended up sitting next to the Waldrep family during lunch before the Saturday game. We spent 30+ minutes engaged in active conversation before we learned who they were. Consistent with baseball families they too were great people. Dad told me he’s a UGA fan for all sports but Gators baseball, as long as Sully’s the coach. He said the UF facilities are the best in the country. The only program with equal or possibly slightly better facilities might be Arkansas. Mr. Waldrep said that the so-called issue with Hurston’s throwing motion is total BS and not even an issue in MLB. It did, however, affect Hurston mentally for a game or two.

After UF’s first game most all the players stayed around the dugout talking with fans, taking photos, etc. Every year my wife has a favorite player. This year we got a photo with Wyatt -- despite wearing a Gators shirts and UT ball caps. HOLY COW it was incredible how much conversation was stimulated by doing so. A fraternity brother with access to the Gators team showed me a photo of Cag’s hand pressed to a much younger ball player. He’s a man upon boys, size wise.

After our ORU game we ended up seated right beside the ORU pitcher (#31) that finished up the game. Like the Waldrep’s this family was super nice. Also like the Waldrep’s we did not learn of the player's connection until deep into our conversation when talking about pitching depth, Evan (#31) responded, “I could throw an inning or two if needed.”

My only other trip to Omaha was in 2005 when coincidentally both UT and UF were there. I’ve now been in both ballparks. The CWS is the BEST sporting event bar none.

I’d encourage anyone thinking of attending the final series (if we get there of course) to make it happen. Flying into Des Moines is 1/4 the cost of Omaha and only a two hour (straight interstate) ride to the ballpark.

Go Gators!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    VERY interesting post!! Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks! Where did you buy your tickets?

4. volungator

volungator All American

We bought all our tickets from ticketmaster. Tickets will be much more affordable if Wake is our opponent. Check Ticketmaster 60 minutes after the game tonight if LSU loses. If so LSU will dump all their tickets. I'd bet you'd get very good seats for $60ish. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2