Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Orlando Sentinel: UF AD Scott Stricklin Insists Billy Napier Is Not On Hot Seat

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jan 16, 2024.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Their jobs are tied together, so of course SS will give him the "vote of confidence" in the off season. He is not going to say anything different out loud.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Probably the right thing to do given the schedule next year. I don't think I've ever seen a more brutal schedule by any team.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gringoloco

gringoloco Sophomore

Jan 9, 2024
    Good to hear. Thanks ET

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. DeepPurpleGator

DeepPurpleGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2007
    Poor reporting in this article. If you say that someone hasn't made certain hires without adding that reportedly he has made attempts to hire people for those positions, it's not just incomplete reporting, it borders on inaccuracy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I would say, historically, that an athletic director coming out and saying the head coach is not on the hot seat is the first public acknowledgment that there is serious noise in the system. Ironically, Stricklin just confirmed that Napier on the hot seat. The only real question is the heat tolerance on that seat and who has or will have the power to make that call.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    First I’m hearing of that. What OCs or ST coaches has he tried to hire? And which of the OL coaches has he let go to make room on the staff?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    It's a stupid article; no AD is ever going to say a coach is on the hot seat. EVER.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    All anyone has to do is read threads on this forum to get that. That's no big deal.

What do you expect him to do or say when a reporter asks him questions about that?

We have a brutal schedule in '24, and Napier will be coaching our team all season-book it. The complainers need to stifle at this point. It's inappropriate.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    In unrelated news, when most married people are asked in front of their spouse if they love them, they say yes.

while I don’t believe CBN is on the precipice of being fired, what do you expect the AD to say.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    I seem to remember right up until a day or maybe it was too, before the game in Jacksonville., Stricklin and radio jocks that have inside scoop saying McElwain was not going to fired.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Couple things:

I didn’t start the thread.

Coach Napier is on the hot seat.

Only Napier can rescue Napier.

I truly hope that he does.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  13. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Coach Napier is only on the hot seat with the chronic complainers on this board. Not with the people that matter.

• Disagree Bacon! x 8
    • Agree x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'll bite. Some of the people who are usually on the same page as me in support of Napier may disagree with me on this one but I think it's easy to say he is not on the hot seat now but that could very easily change.

As most have said record alone doesn't mean much but if we have the same issues again this year as we did last year then even playing an NFL schedule isn't going to get him a free pass because of the fallout that would accompany said performance.

The supportive (but comcerned) fans can't have it both ways. We can't argue that we were a few plays a way from a winning record last year even with a historically bad defense and several game management and special teams mistakes and then put up a losing record again this year with a veteran QB and potential talent infusion. Either we improve or we don't and I don't really think strength of Schedule is the deciding factor. We had a tough schedule this year and yet still should have beaten Missouri and could have beaten Utah and fsu with just some discipline and a few less mistakes.

The fallout from a 3rd year stuck in neutral would be too much to navigate recruiting going forward in my opinion.

Let's hope that's a moot point. The optimist in me thinks the added defensive coaches will shore up the defense and the offense will only get better with what we have returning barring injuries.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I have generally defended Napier but was kind of worried that it would get to this point. Now it has. It is really hard to overcome it as a head coach here when the winds blow against you.

Napier was brought in as a system and process coach, a guy with a plan, to do things the right way. In some ways he has - he got out the gates very strong with recruiting. However it’s difficult to succeed at Florida by recruiting alone, because to keep getting recruiting success, you have to have success on the field. I worried much of the year that the recruiting class could fall apart, and to a degree it did.

Two years in he is clearly still learning the job. While on the one hand it is good to see he is willing to adapt, unlike his predecessor, it also feeds the perception that he didn’t get things right the first time around and is learning real time. While this is not fair, I always looked at AA on the sideline, at 30’years old, and wondered is he really the best guy for the job? Is he a guy that recruits look at and see as a guy the want to play for? Now they are bringing in a guy as a kind of mentor for him and have overturned much of the staff in two years.

I do think Napier is adapting, getting some decent talent in the portal and filling holes, while at the same time numerous starters leaving. Is it enough? Time will tell.

Next year’s ridiculously difficult schedule really makes it hard for him. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we win only 2 or 3 games, and I’d be shocked if we win 5 or more. Can he survive with another losing season?

I’m tired of rolling coaches every 4 years, but truthfully, and I wouldn’t have said this a couple of years ago, if we could get Lane Kiffin I’d take him in a heart beat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    It's just false to say that "many" want to read that CBN is on the hot seat. In fact, just the opposite: it's much closer to the truth to say that NOBODY on this board wants CBN to be on the hot seat.

Just post the article, offer to help those who have trouble opening it, and call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Why even bother to speculate about this now?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    Lame kitten will not ever be a coach at UF. No way our admin or BOT would ever approve that for the same reason that Lame had no chance to be the head coach at Alabama.

I have no comment on the rest of your post.

19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    We both want Napier to succeed. This is not yet, say, the 2014 scenario where most of us knew Muschamp was going to get canned, the fourth season he got was a waste, and we just wanted the decision makers to speed up the inevitable.

But the “people that matter” have observed two straight losing seasons, neither of which should have been losing seasons. They have also observed the same jaw-dropping lack of progress in areas such as special teams. The complainers, about whom you are complaining, have just complaints. If there is not significant improvement in the areas Napier is being paid very good money to improve, then the hue and cry will become too great for the “people that matter” to ignore. A fourth season is not guaranteed and it is not inevitable. Napier has to earn it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1