Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Orange and Blue World Series

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Nov 7, 2023.

1. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks Gatorgal and others.
    Wow, Blake Purnell gives up 4 runs with 2 outs. I sure hope we can find a closer!

2. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Blake did very well all through fall ball until that game. Every pitcher has an outing like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Really pulling for Purnell. He's had some great outings and some really bad ones. He's stuck with the program, though, and seems to be a great guy with a positive attitude who wants to help the Gators any way he can.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed on pulling for Purnell too. The toughest thing (IMHO) about looking at him as the closer over a setup man is—his arm slot brings very little to the table to go against LHH. The right handed sidearm/submarine slot gives the LHH the longest look at the pitches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Neely isn't a bad option lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    If I remember right (I'm 71 so that's debatable), Neely was a reluctant closer last year and he agreed to take on that role with a promise to get serious consideration as a weekend starter this year. Hopefully, if O'Sullivan decides he's our best closer option, Neely will do it again to help the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't believe he is in the starting rotation as it stands now

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I just want to add this in defense of Purnell because I think it would completely change the perception of his performance in this outing. After getting two quick outs in two of the first three batters he faced the next two batters hit singles scoring one run. The next batter, lefty Blake Brookins, hit a routine grounder to Cade Kurland who was playing on the edge of the grass and by the time his throw made it to first, the hustling Brookins beat it out by half a step. The next batter, Robertson comes through with the bases clearing double. My point being that if Kurland is able to throw out the speedy Brookins batting from the left side, the performance is barely mentioned rather than a disastrous 4 run blown save. Hey, it’s a crazy game. That’s why we enjoy it so much!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I too have a hard time believing Purnell might be our closer this season after the last two seasons. But I have to admit he has been very consistent in a good way this fall, other than Sunday. That said I hope Sully is planning for two closers if Purnell is one of them. It seems Purnell is really good the first 10-12 pitches and if he is out of the inning then great job, move along. But when outs are missed or innings get extended or umpires won't give him the low inside strikes, the wheels seem to fall off. So my hopes are for Sully to have Purnell and maybe Slater or Neely ready to trade turns as closer. I'd rather see Neely have the chance as a starter again but I'm not hearing the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Somewhere around the end of January .. Egbunu also will be ready

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Gal we have seen him for a few years now . I don’t think he can consistently come in and close a game or series . I believe he is a middle guy that can give us a couple outs , maybe the next inning. Just my opinion… which I have aplenty!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I have liked Purnell all along and was pleased that changing his arm angle helped the way it did. I feel he has been pretty consistent, but it's the situations he has faced that have varied and he is much more effective against some hitters than others. I thought he was underused somewhat last season, especially against more average opposition. An opposing pitcher of his skills would struggle against Wyatt and Jac and Blake would, too. Still, he can use his skills very well against most of the teams on the Gator schedule. Few modern pitchers who earn their way on to a Major League staff are regular starters. Neely's professional future won't depend on him being a Gator starter, while 15 or so saves will get plenty of attention from the parade of scouts attending Gator games and workouts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    He can save some of the early games and midweek stuff but I doubt you would run him out there in the 8th vs LSU and get out of an inning. His stuff is flat and doesn’t really change the hitters eye level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed on pulling for Purnell too. The toughest thing (IMHO) about looking at him as the closer over a setup man is—his arm slot brings very little to the table to go against LHH. The right handed sidearm/submarine slot gives the LHH the longest look at the pitches as can be seen and all of his breaking pitches are coming to them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

And let’s be honest—that’s where (relief role) his chances will be in pro ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dane Dunning was never a starter for UF and his 169.1 innings led the Texas Rangers this season. Here is what Bruce Bochy had to say about him back in the end of September.

“He's been our MVP on the pitching staff,” manager Bruce Bochy said Wednesday after Dunning pitched seven shutout innings against Los Angeles to trim the Rangers' magic number for a playoff berth to one. “The versatility he's shown has been so important for us.” September 28, 2023

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1