Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Winning the 24 national championship will put this team in a class by themselves. I'm sawing off my limb, that is what I'm predicting for the 24 Gators.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My intent with this post is not to confront anyone. I simply want to point out that Sofia Victoria is the last of the 6 players who could be leaving UF as a senior or a 5th year player not to announce her future:

5th Year: Anna Dixon & Kennedy Muff - Graduated

Senior: Nnedi Okammor - Transfer & Graduated

Seniors: AC Fitzpatrick & Elli McKissock - Returning & Not Graduated

Senior: Sofia Victoria - Unannounced & Not Graduated

Regardless of opinions here, I'm sure CMW would welcome Sofia back if that is her desire. I don't know the ship situations or if any underclassmen are leaving the team, but Sofia was the backup to Kira Hutson before she went down to injury, so she does bring experience and talent values to the team. I wish Sofia the best with whatever decision she makes.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Would love for you to be right. Mary Wise deserves it for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Anyone who gives you flak about congratulating a 4-year Gator is an Ahole.
    Neede was underused all of her four years IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Under Armour All-America Women's Volleyball Game 2024:

All-America - Under Armour Volleyball (underarmournext.com)

Tuesday, January 2, 2024
    Place: Orlando
    Televised: ESPNU
    Time: 4:30 PM ET

Teams Fire and Ice feature 26 of the top volleyball players in the country. Jaela Auguste MH will be playing on Team Fire. Taylor Parks S and Alec Rothe MH will be playing on Team Ice. Tune in to get a preview of 3 new Gators for 2024.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I've always wondered how this works. Volleyball is a head count sport. Can you terminate an athlete's scholarship year-to-year or once she commits to the program, do you have to let her graduate?

7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    In theory, you can. In practice, it doesn’t really happen. Players are told what their likely roles will be, and may be encouraged to look elsewhere. If seeing the field/court is not in their future, and they still want to stay, they usually can work something out. If they need the scholarship money, it’s usually possible to find a reason for a medical hardship. If they don’t, some kids offer to give up their scholly’s and pay their own way as a walk on. Sometimes the effort a kid like that will give to the team in practice is worth the scholly, and they keep their scholly, and remain with the team.

Just recently, I know of at least one baseball player who just flat out loved being a gator, and wanted to graduate here. He was encouraged to transfer, but instead offered to give up his scholly and help the team in any way he could as a walk on. Good kid, could have played at a lot of d1 programs too. He got to see the field in Omaha last year. An experience he likely would not have gotten elsewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Back in the day, my girls were on a four year scholarship but had to demonstrate they were an asset to the program and community. Mostly a formality. Now scholarships are year to year, and one must demonstrate value. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with that subjectivity. Sofia could stay on, and she brings value and yes you need able bodies to run scrimmages within the practice, but imo AC took the spot of a returning OH. The freshmen need to play, and want to play. Jmo as always

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are probably right, but I don't think it's a good idea to thank any Gator for 4 years of service and then follow up by saying for her to move on. If Sofia comes back, great. If Sofia doesn't come back, great. It's entirely up to CMW/coaches and Sofia.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Meet The Greater Houston Volleyball Player of the Year:

Jaela Auguste MB - Coming to UF in 2024. Jaela will be playing in the Under Armour All-America game on Tuesday, see post #1845.

Houston Chronicle High School Sports on X: " Today’s @ChronSports section features the All-Greater Houston volleyball teams, including a feature on player of the year @JaelaAuguste. Auguste story: https://t.co/FtnU6YblId Full AGH teams: https://t.co/ltIBKpDPLv E-edition: https://t.co/wb3o8rdsCN https://t.co/LkcQEY6Hfd" / X (twitter.com)

Don't go to the Houston Chronicle as they have the story behind a pay wall. You can read the whole article by zooming out on the picture as posted on Gators Volleyball Twitter.

• Like Like x 2
  11. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the Orlando Under Armour Next Volleyball match. There is some high-quality VB being played.
    It is in the 4th set, with Team Ice up 2 sets to one. Team Fire leads the 4th set 19-15.
    Taylor Parks, incoming setter, and Alec Roth, MB, are on the Ice.
    We will be very happy to see those 2 as Gators.
    Parks is a very good server who is all over the court. She makes a lot of saves, also. As a graduating senior from HS she is better than Muff. I say this with no disrespect to Kennedy.
    She came in and did some good things for us in a very difficult position.
    Alec Roth, MB is a blocking machine and a good server, too.
    Jaela Auguste MB is on the Fire. She has not gotten to play as much, but when she hits one, it is a missile.
    Fun fact: Auguste's dad played for the Globetrotters if I heard it right.
    The Fire came back and won in 5 sets. This is the first time the Under Armour has gone to 5 sets.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015

• Like Like x 1
  14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As Scrappy said, the talent was high, and the match was the best Under Armour has put together going to a 5th set for the first time. Team Ice started strong, but Team Fire finished strong for the win.

Alec Rothe is talented, athletic, a good server, and can play OH as a bonus. Alec and Taylor already demonstrate a good playing relationship which bodes well for team chemistry.

Taylor Parks is very talented, the best setter at Under Armour. She does everything at a high level. She is not Alexis Stucky, but nobody else is either.

Jaela Auguste is extremely athletic and personably demonstrative. She plays taller than 6'2" due to her long arms. She is the classic MB but does well outside as well. Yes, her father played for Globetrotters.

UF has an outstanding incoming class. I'm wondering if any are enrolling early. I suspect Lauren Harden, Bella Lee, and Ella Vogel would have fit in well at Under Armour. Bella and Taylor are club teammates, high school rivals, and best friends. Under Armour could have had a terrific starting lineup with just the 2024 Gators class.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  15. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Gator VB tweet above says, See you soon. I hope that means they are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 91gator

91gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando,FL
    Sofia posted on Instagram a few weeks ago (I only know this because my 13yo told me) that she is not coming back. Has that changed?

I have been blessed with the opportunity to call the University of Florida my second home and have made the most amazing memories and friends that I will never forget. That being said, I will not be taking my 5th year at UF. I am forever grateful to the coaching staff for this opportunity and guiding me through this whole experience. I am also extremely greatful for my teammates. They accepted me for who I am and loved me as much as I love them every single day. I am so happy that I was able to be a part of this amazing, genuine, loving, Barbie team who will forever be my sisters. I am not sure what the future holds for me but I am 100% sure that it’s great to be a Florida Gator

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    I think adding the transfer Martin and AC returning plus Hutson and Harden (plus Kennedy can play OH on a front row rotation from time to time) made the decision for her.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Alec Rothe moved in today.
    Saw It on IG.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ETGator1