Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    We can most certainly play better

2. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I won't call out individual players. But I agree that UF isn't playing as well as they can. To me, the problem can be stated simply: coaching.

I've come to believe three things about UF volleyball: it was successful for the same reason as UF soccer under Becky Burleigh (talent, not coaching, and a weak SEC), it is on the same trajectory as UF soccer under CBB, and what Merritt Beason said last year when she transferred may be accurate.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    What did Merritt say? Was always curious why the transfer…

4. novagatorguy

novagatorguy Freshman

Aug 20, 2023
    Well folks, I still note that early on Florida beat then #8 Penn State 3-1, then beat #2 Stanford 3-0 (and lost Hutson, one of our two super freshmen, to shoulder injury), then beat #5 Minnesota 3-0, then led #1 Wisconsin (2-0) before losing Stuckey for the season, then lost one of our most experienced hitters (Dixon) to arm injury. I note Wisconsin just beat Nebraska, and Stanford is still near the top too. We would have beaten them both 3-0 without injuries. I suggest our team and coaches might have won a Natty without the injuries. I think we are being too tough on them!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Kentucky ended our regular season tonight 3-0. We finished 10-8 in the SEC and will be going on the road for the 1st round of the NCAA tournament for the first time in a while. The key injuries, to me, were the reason for the season. Mary Wise is still a great coach and a great recruiter. I have no idea what Merritt Beason said and she's certainly entitled to her opinion. But so many other former and current players rave about Coach Wise and how she's a legend and they love playing for her. It will be interesting to see who she's able to get from the transfer portal to supplement the returning players and a solid recruiting class.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    So we are the #4 seed in the Nebraska Quarter.
    The top 16 teams will host.

Does that mean.......????

8. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    We’re the #4 seed playing FGCU with Georgia Tech (5) vs South Alabama as the other match. We’re in #1 Nebraska's bracket.

9. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Nebraska’s quarter has 2 Kentucky, 3 Arkansas, 4 Florida and 8 Missouri.

10. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I didn't want to jinx it cuz they didn't say it on the show, but.

upload_2023-11-26_18-34-7.png

Attached Files:

11. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gators vs FGCU 7pm Thursday in the ODome!

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Shocked but happy they got a seed.
    Now make it count.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Since Nebraska is the #1 overall seed (with former Gator Merritt Beason), and we're the #4 seed in their quarter, that would seem to make us the #16 overall seed. Incredible to me, but they must have taken into consideration our OOC SOS and the 3 critical injuries, plus Mary Wise and the Gator team's legacy and reputation. It's great that they get to host the 1st 2 rounds and if they make the Sweet 16 that would be extra sweet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Four SEC teams in Nebrasks's bracket.
    Thanks, NCAA. Someone beat them.

15. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I hope to attend. Am I correct that tickets may be available through the ticket office?

Any tips on parking?

16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    In a post awhile back someone said that Merritt Beason transferring wasn't that big of a deal because she played the same position Kennedy Martin plays and Martin would have beaten her out. The fact is that her natural position is left side OH, but Florida asked her to play the right side OH, which she did for 2 years. She was All-SEC and All-Region as a sophomore and I think if she had stayed at Florida she would have switched to her more natural and preferred position of left side OH (where Sofia Victoria and A.C. Fitzpatrick alternated), and we would have been a much stronger team. Her Nebraska teammates elected her as one of two team captains this year and is by far their leading scorer. And remember, they are the #1 team in the nation. She's averaging 4.49 points per set, 3.81 kills per set with a hitting percentage of .284. She also has 212 digs and 80 blocks. She will be an All-American this year, possibly 1st team, and her leaving Florida was a huge blow to the program, IMO. Imagine having her on the left side and Martin on the right when the season started? I've watched an interview with her and she had nothing negative to say about Florida - Just that she had to do what's best for her. She said that Volleyball is a major sport in Nebraska and she's thrilled to be there.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Merritt is being nice. Look, I know my take isn't popular. I just see a year-over-year trend of UF volleyball being very average in certain fubdamentals: especially service and serve receive, and hard-to-understand decisions. AC Fitzpatrick couldn't sniff the floor last year, and wouldn't have this year either, until an injury.

Here is a not-so-fun stat from this year: What regular UF player had the highest hitting percentage - by far? Answer: Okammor. She also had the lowest percentage of hitting errors per swing. (EDIT: 2nd lowest. AC had the lowest hitting error %.) But who got only about 30% of the sets given Fitz and Victoria, and less than 20% of the sets given to Martin? Also: Okammor. Am I supposed to believe that a top coach can't figure out to direct the setter to distribute the ball more often to the team's most effective (by percentage) hitter?

Questions: why wouldn't staying at UF be best for Merritt Beason? What is better at Nebraska?

Answer: She wasn't referring to the talent of her UF teammates.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    the 3 times i watched unl this year, beason played right side. with all players available, i take martin over beason 100% of the time. ----- dissing the coaching and team over production after said injuries is petty and ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1