Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Me too, Johnny. :p
    Service errors cost us that match last night.

2. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I think these girls are great. No other Gator sports team could loose half their starting lineup and be this competitive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One of the announcers last night hit the nail on the head with the number of service errors by Florida. With Stuckey on the front line we don't have to serve that aggressively because Stuckey can be part of a good blocking defense but Muff is nowhere near her blocking potential. We needed to serve aggressively to get (hopefully) weak returns of serve that won't require a solid block. We just didn't get as many great serves as we did service errors. The strategy was correct but the execution fell short.

Painful game to watch given how hard the Lady Gators played.

4. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Complete excuse-making malarky from some talking head who was too lazy to do their research. Prior to Stuckey's injury, UF had 85 service errors and 56 aces.

The strategy hasn't changed because of anyone's injury. And it hasn't changed despite the fact that the points gained are less than the points lost.

All those years that UF had a massive talant over the SEC, service errors didn't matter so much. Now that there is more parity, the fallacy of giving away 2-3 points game is being exposed for the decisive disadvantage that it is.

What baffles me is: SEs are completely under the team's control. Why accept them at this rate?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Facing Kentucky this afternoon.
    Trailed much of the first set but finally took a lead at 23-22.....then lost three staright points and the set
    Jumped out 7-0 in the second set and maintained the lead for a 25-20 win to even things at 1-1

6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Trailed early in third set and never caught up, 25-22 UK
    Have fallen behind in the 4th as well.....11-7 right now. Gonna take a miracle

7. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Perfect example of what happens when you don’t penetrate the net on the block-top spin attack causes the ball to dive down to the floor on the failed block side. Point 11 for UK 4th set.

8. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    19-13 in the 4th. Falling apart, now.

9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    25 -18......such a "what if" season, but have to be a little disappointed they were unable to step up a little more succesffully

10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Great group of young women and an awesome coach. Just feel terrible for the program. Too much tragedy to overcome. Best wishes to Stuckey and Hutson healing. Hope the incoming recruits are ready to contribute and we pick up a couple of stars in the portal. SEC Volleyball has gotten a lot better than it used to be and the the national elites are still great teams every year.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Can Adams return Or already had a Covid year?

12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    She will be back.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Went to Gator Attack Club after the match. We had the 6 seniors/grads.
    Anna Dixon
    Nnedi Okammor
    Elli McKissock-Confirmed that Elli does have another year of eligibility. Direct from her Dad last night.
    Kennedy Muff
    Sophia Victoria
    AC Fitzpatrick
    All of these ladies are so smart and fun to be with.
    Anna, Nnedi, and AC have aspirations to play pro. Even Elli wants to try one of the new pro leagues in the US.
    Mary said 3 leagues in the US are starting up. She also said that it is almost impossible for a libero from the US to play overseas. She did not elaborate.
    I know there is one that has started. There is a team in Orlando and Paula Cerame is on it.
    As an aside, Katie Callahan went to work for ESPN, according to Muff. She said she would like to follow in her footsteps.
    If you are not a member of the GAC, I would encourage you to do so. It is a great organization that is fun, and informative, and helps Mary and the ladies a lot.
    A couple of years ago we contributed over $7,000 to help the team buy one of the 6-8 passenger golf carts.
    Go to gatorattackclub.org Look right under the ladies looking through their binoculars and click on Join Here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Great info. If Elli comes back that is huge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who? Elli?

16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can't feel this way. The ladies are playing their hearts out and being competitive under the harshest of injury circumstances. Put it this way from gymnastics which has 6 performers per event with the ability to drop the low score and count the 5 best scores, what the volleyball team is doing would be like the gymnastics team last year losing Trinity Thomas, Leanne Wong, and Kayla DiCello to season ending injuries along with the walking injured who did not perform or performed very little and then expecting them to be successful against the better teams. It wouldn't have happened for gymnastics, and it can't happen for volleyball. I prefer to just enjoy watching the Gators with no regrets while knowing the future is bright.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Trinity

18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You know scrappy, this is as clear as mud. You said Elli's father confirmed she has another year and that she will be back and then you say Trinity who is a junior. Do you mean to say both will be back for 2024?

Signed,

I'm Confused

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    ljluf asked it Trinity would be back. I answered, she will be back.

I said I spoke with Elli's dad, and he confirmed she has another year of eligibility, but no where did I say she was coming back. She is undecided.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Help is on the way. The 1st of six 2024 commitments has signed.