Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Let's not forget about Bre Kelly transferring to Pitt. Not sure if this is true or not, but word is Alexis isn't happy either. It's from a pretty reliable source but, he heard from someone else. So grapevine ya know. We'll see.

2. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    That would be disastrous if Alexis left.
    Any word on why Bre left, and Stuckey is not happy?

3. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I do know Bre left for the same reason Merritt left. She wants to play pro ball after she graduates and she doesn't think the coaching by Wise and Boos is progressing her as much as it should... which I agree they really don't progress their players. Mary needs to ride off into the sunset. Alexis, no I don't know. My source just said that she's also not happy. Maybe for the same reason? Maybe because of the best players bailing? BUT from my source, supposedly her family isn't very happy either. Take that with a grain of salt. My source has been pretty good at knowing these things.. He knows Paula Cerame's dad and told me Paula, Riley, and Haley were going to transfer before they did a couple years back and also said Merritt was transferring right after, I mean moments after, they lost in the tourney. So I trust what he says.. And just to add about the Paula, Riley and Haley transfers.. supposedly (just what i heard) Paula went to the AD to complain about Mary.. Kind of like the soccer team with Tony Amato.. BUT she's Mary Wise so nothing happened. I don't know what was said, just know that's what I was told. This is just what I've heard from someone I trust. His first language is Spanish so there may be something lost in translation.. but I doubt it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Woe is UF! The SEC coaches have picked the Gators to finish a close 2nd to Kentucky in SEC play:

Gators Tabbed Second in SEC Preseason Coaches’ Poll - Florida Gators

Obviously, the game has passed by Mary Wise. UF may have to settle for sharing the SEC with Kentucky again in 2023.

It's going to be fun getting to know the talented new players added to the team.

• Like Like x 2
  5. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022

6. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    In the past few years we’ve beaten some superb teams out West. Last year we won at Wisconsin in front of the biggest attendance in a game ever. We continue to have at least two players picked to be on the U.S.A. team. Most teams would love to have our record. Not all is lost….

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Past her prime....really. Sort of like Nick Saban 71, Patty Gasso 61, & Mike Holloway 64 are past their prime.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I repeat, will gladly eat crow if wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    One is not like the others. All of them have multiple national championships. Mary has zero

10. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Sandman 70, notexgator, and I ate at MiApa'. Keep reading before you give me an OT.
    First Steve Tannen, 1st Team All-American Florida DB was at the next table. He also played for the Jets for five years. He heard us talking about Gator Sports, and he joined the conversation. He goes to VB, SB, Gymnastics, and men's sports. Where Are They Now: Steve Tannen
    While we were speaking, Eli, Trinity, and Kennedy Martin came in and got some takeout. We just waved and said hi. It is amazing how much taller they are in person than they look on the court. Of course, Kennedy is 6'6", so she looks tall in both instances.
    I love the perks of living in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2023-7-20_14-39-18.png

Gators Volleyball likely produced this for the tough on Mary folks here.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The Gator Attack Club just sent out a flyer that "Fan Day is Sunday, August 20th, and the Gator volleyball team will play Stetson in a 2:30 pm match."

Is this accurate? Are there any other games scheduled that are not on the official VB calendar on the internet?
    2023 Volleyball Schedule - Florida Gators

13. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Not that I know

14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Anyone going to Tampa?

15. flnative75

flnative75 All American

Oct 17, 2011
    Tampa
    I have worked along side many D1 coaches and national team coaches and it’s the same message across the board.
    Honestly I think the issue is not as much development coming from Mary but more
    So the opportunity for the bigger and elite players to compete not only indoor but also during the beach season.. I’ve coached many players that have opted for Stanford, UCLA, USC over Florida because of what those programs bring to the table during the spring. I’m close with many coaches out in LA and it’s always the same message.
    Florida has the resources it just blows my mind that UF doesn’t have a program in place. During Covid Cali was shut down and you saw a lot of D1 players coming to Florida playing our beach circuit because you couldn’t even step foot on a beach in Cali. Even to the point where AVP coaches were calling asking to use my courts to get ready for FIVB events internationally. There’s no doubt UF has been the top dog in the SEC year in and year out since the early 90s but to really get those elite A-1 players they need more.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    How expensive would it be to fund a beach volleyball program? Holes have one. It would add schollies on the women’s side checking off some boxes with Title IX.

So what gives?

17. flnative75

flnative75 All American

Oct 17, 2011
    Tampa
    Considering 95% of these players are on partial scholarship. And the tourney travel is much much cheaper then a regular volleyball schedule it makes me scratch my head every year that goes by.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. softballgator95

softballgator95 Recruit

Aug 12, 2023
    Wise has repeatedly said that she'd welcome a beach program. It's a money thing. UF loses money on VB but thankfully Title 9 forces money to unprofitable women's sports.

19. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    they dont lose alot compared to other sports, volleyball has a big following and gets some good crowds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. 91gator

91gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando,FL
    Sorry for the noob questions. It looks like beach volleyball season is in the same time-frame as the regular volleyball season? Would it be different players and coaches, or more activity for the existing staff and players? I watch lots of sports on TV, and I've never seen a college beach VB game, so I imagine there would be none to negligible tv revenue and no revenue from a packed venue.