Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Took care of business tonight, without any issues. Set #3 was definitely feel good near the end as most of bench got to play. And not only did they play, but they made the stat sheet. Way back in April, I was high on AC Fitzpatrick -- she came in for the last five points tonight and recorded 3 kills with a hitting percentage of 1.000. I wonder why she doesn't play more?

Admittedly I was wrong about a tough year, but even Mary Wise said last week that she never expected the season we've had.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Some folks have lamented the fact that UF never just cruises through the SEC unbeaten every season like they used to. There's a good reason for that. Mary Wise elevated the program so far above the rest of the league, it was a cakewalk. The SEC finally got tired of the relentless ass-kicking and decided to upgrade their programs. One or two others started challenging the Gators. Now the league is competitive across the board.
    And that's a good thing. It makes our team better and ready for the postseason.
    Same thing happened in softball; all Gators at one time, then gradually Bama and a couple of others started to battle us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Great start for the Gators!
    A little over 2,500 in attendance yesterday. It would be awesome to see double that today against Iowa State. The team deserves it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Excellent student section and band. They are into it.
    Shame, shame, shame, you let your whole team down-chanted on the opponent's service error.

• Like Like x 1
  5. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The visiting team section usually mimics that at some point in the game. The student section has a standard put-down retort, but I can't exactly understand what they are saying. It is great to see the student section completely full and even expanding into the upper bowl.

I was pretty surprised by FAMU -- they appear tiny and not exactly athletic yet they took Iowa State to five sets.

6. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    insert fgcu.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Playing back and doimg well.

8. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Gators sweep Iowa State!
    Impressive first two rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    A pretty cool moment when, after the win, the entire team ran over to the student section and acknowledged them, before taking the traditional winning lap around the stadium. Later Mary Wise also went over to salute the student section. Classy!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Best defensive play I have seen out of a mary wise team. Really fun to watch.
    But now the real tournament starts, Pitt is legit and win that and Wisconsin likely looms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I wish our minor sports teans got more recognition and interaction on this board than they get. They work just has hard, win much more often, graduate more, and stay of trouble more than the major sports teams particularly football

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    What an atmosphere tonight. The crowd was raucous, and the band and student section were fantastic. We made some of the most incredible digs I have ever seen. Eli and Emily were amazing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    tv & time?

14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    You are more likely to hear folks complain about resources and focus being diverted from football. While I do believe we fell behind badly in football facilities, it is more than clear that the failure in that sport was not caused by success in other sports (correlation versus causation).

For example, if more gator fans watched Stucky set, as a freshman, they would be stunned. What talent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Setting and back-row defense set our team apart from most other teams.
    As Seabud said, Stucky is stunning as a freshman setter. A friend of mine, when he found out we had signed Stucky, said, 'Why would you sign a setter from Wyoming?' After two matches, he ate those words gladly.
    With Eli and Emily in the back row, we are elite. But, even when Merritt and Stucky are back there, they can dig very well. And, then, bring in Trinity and Emerson, and you have excellent diggers servers and passers.
    Mary has recruited well over the last three years, and the recruits coming in are highly rated.
    We lose Marina and Rhett. Marina is a significant loss. Rhett would have played a more prominent role, but she has a torn labrum.
    The only puzzlement to me is why AC does not rotate in. She came in late Friday night and had three straight, brutal kills. When another attacker is having an off night, why not add her to the rotation?
    A little human interest story. As I was leaving last night, I saw a couple that went to 1st Ocala UMC when I was there. Come to find out. They are business partners with AC's dad. They had seven rows full of people from Ocala to cheer AC on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Preaching to the choir on that one Scrappy! I first said that about AC in April after the practice game with FSU at the Lemerand Center. She has a polished resume, coming to UF via the portal from Penn State, where she led the team in aces, second in kills and third in digs. AC was part of a trio of top players that left Penn State via the portal, and then their long-standing and pretty famous coach, Russ Rose quit, one of the few D-1 coaches with a higher winning percentage than Mary Wise. Not sure what caused that implosion.

AC is the shortest OH by far, so maybe that's it. With Markova's departure, maybe AC will have more playing time next year.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Shouldn't be surprised I guess with all the football stories,but had to go to the SEC site to get the volleyball match recaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    2023 Incoming Class
    Kennedy Martin | 6-6 | Pin Hitter | Hometown: Fort Mill, S.C. | High School: Nation Ford High School | Club: FC Elite

Madi Gravlee | 6-4 | OH | Hometown: Vero Beach, Fla. | High School: Vero Beach | Club: High Tide/Gainesville Juniors-First Mary Wise Volleyball Legacy. For the life of me I cannot find her name.

Kira Hutson | 6-3 | OH | Hometown: Aurora, Ill. | High School: Metea Valley High School | Club: Team One Volleyball

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    AC gonna need a growth spurt to play!

I think Madi is her nickname. Try Madison.

20. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I am searching for her mother.