Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    But, of course. But, also, why are we here exposing our soul for the game and the kids we love, if not to debate and dispute relevant subjects? And to, at times, as we did here, get somewhat lost in the muck? Perhaps a little overboard at times. Perhaps not always totally on point. But, hopefully, usually, with some substance to bolster the opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    DeAngelo was awesome, sadly LSU fan but can’t help but love the passion!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Am I mistaking or did DeAngelos little sis play for LSU?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    She did.

5. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Thought so. She had a good softball story herself if I recall. But dang big bro came all out to support her and that’s awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Nobody’s getting any injury reports one way or another so the ships sailed. I wish I knew how Goddard was doing but I don’t and I won’t. My desire for an update on Goddards status is actually what brought me to this awesome forum in the first place. I’m glad I’m here, wish it hadn’t taken her injury for me to find this place.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Remember seeing him in the stands full on suit and tie like he just walked off Wall Street supporting his baby sis.

8. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    As I've told @sandman70 @scrappygator @notexgator: Fall Ball cannot get here quick enough, enjoy the season with no expectations, and wait impatiently for Keagan and Eva to step on the mound for us.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Look at the glass half full. There are 286 Div 1 softball teams and the Gators are currently 21st. We think that is terrible but it really isn't all that bad. If Gators don't host a regional, we think the world is coming to an end. Three times in the last 10 years the NY Yankees have not made the playoffs. My point being, even great teams have down years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    Agreed and will be looking forward to their arrival. The next step they take is a massive change, and I’ve watched a number of pitchers struggle with the demands of D-1 pitching. I hope these girls have been working with some quality pitching coaches who have provided them with a compliment of pitches that will allow them to become stalwarts for the Gators. As far as our ranking is concerned, it’s not the current position that bothers me but the direction we seem to be moving in. Anyway go Gators and let’s kick off tonight with a win against Auburn.

11. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Big win versus the Barners today! Clinch the series tomorrow!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I wasn't at Columbus but I did go to the two exhibition games against Georgia Impact and Birmingham Thunderbolts at Georgia State before they moved on to Columbus. Had a chance to talk a little with Charla and Julia. Sat for a long time next to the father of Auburn's current second baseman, McCondichie, as she played for the Bolts. He had some interesting insights. Also spoke briefly with Hannah Adams who was there watching as a former Georgia Impact player. That was a great team for a National Junior team. If memory serves, they actually won the bronze in Columbus playing against the senior National teams and then squeaked out a thrilling World Championship in California against Japan. Frankie Hammoude (Oregon State) saved us with a three run home run when all appeared lost and in extras Charla missed a game winning home run by about one inch but got to third on a triple. Jasmine Sievers (now Jasmine Williams at UCF after getting married, having a kid, and transferring from Oregon) hit a dribbler to short not handled by the Japan shortstop and Charla strolled home with a World Championship. Most of the players were entering college in a month. A couple, including Charla and Skylar (I think...Skylar) had one year of college under their belts. Jayda Coleman and Bailey Dowling amazingly still had one year of high school left. It was clear Jayda was going to go on to be a super star and she has done just that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    I was a bit surprised at the poor defense the Barners presented. Expected more from them than what they gave on the field yesterday. Maybe an opportunity to gain some SEC wins.

14. Porschegator

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Tennessee who I thought were world beaters just lost to Baylor, a decent team but not great, for the second day in a row in Knoxville. 1-0 & 8-5. Maybe just maybe we can do the same in Knoxville. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep. Penta got screwed by her own team. She should have won the game in 7 with a one hit shutout. The one hit being Kendra's 2' dribbler. Skylar's hit, after a HBP, had to be scored a triple and an earned run but it should have been caught for the third out and we get nothing. Followed up with an error allowing the second run. The only legit earned run she gave up was in the 8th when she put Skylar on and Skylar scored off the relief pitcher. But the game really should have been over in the 7th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Porschegator

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Spurrier used to say on occasion after big wins "God has smiled on the Gators." It would be great if these girls got a big smile in game three today. Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
  17. Porschegator

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    FYI....Softball ERA the last five years not including Covid....329, .278, .184, .187, .143

18. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I wish that was our ERA. Our problems would be solved.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    UF softball back in the D1 Top 25 at #23. RPI ranking is #18, SOS #27.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Porschegator proves my point about our pitching coach. By the way that is 3.29, 2.78, etc. No development, no signed or recruited players by our pitching coach that I know of and virtually no help out of the dugout unless Tim tells him to stay in it and leave them alone. Just what we do not need - another 50 plus male trying to talk to a 18 to 22 year old female.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1