Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    Agreed. Just get rid of the rule. I could care less if the pitcher does a front flip before releasing the ball; if they’re within the circle so be it. I could be mistaken, but don’t believe the Olympics imposes this rule.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  2. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Alicia Ocasio did the color commentary for the game tonight. She said her most memorable game was the Texas A&M Super Regionals Jordan Matthews walk-off that put UF in the WCWS for 2018. Mine too. I've looked far and wide for a video and although there are snippets of that game, a complete game video doesn't seem to exist.

For anyone who doesn't remember that series.... UF lost the first game. Second game we were losing 4-2 in the bottom of the seventh, facing elimination. Lorenz hits HR, making it 4-3. Then two outs, no one on base. Walk, then a routine play that should have ended the game, but Texas A&M boots it with error. Another walk which loads the bases. Texas A&M walks home the game tying run. New pitcher for Texas A7M, who then walk home winning run.

Two nights later, the series deciding game #3 was looking fairly comfortable. UF was up by a run after six innings but we had really outplayed Texas A&M so the confidence was there. But then Texas A&M scores two in top of the seventh, to lead 3-2. So bottom of the seventh and we have just three outs left until elimination. Two on, two outs, Jordan Roberts is at the plate. Two strike count, now we’re down to our last swing before elimination. Crowd is basically stunned. Jordan fouls off two pitches and then....walk-off home run.

Surprising that in this digital age there's not a complete game video of those games. Quite an amazing series.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Agreed. I have advocated for years to get rid of the pitch rule. What should be objective is purely subjective. Rarely enforced and then inconsistently done when it is enforced. All pitchers raise their foot to some extent. The only one I can think of recently that was so egregious that it had to be called was the VA Tech pitcher last year. Just this week in the USC/Clemson game the USC pitcher had five or six (or more) called in a couple innings and I honestly couldn't see where she was any different than anyone else. Get rid of the rule and go to international rules where it doesn't exist. And while I'm on a soapbox, I for the life of me don't understand why virtually nobody is using the safety bag at first base. The rule now is it can be used if both teams agree. There is zero reason to not use it as it in no possible way changes the game and if it saves just one serious collision it was well worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Gators next six games are SC and Auburn. All winnable games. The girls pretty much have to sweep these games to get back into the SEC race. The next six are Tenn and GA. That is a major problem.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    For the sake of discussion I pose this question. With Rothrock and Brown joining the team next year do you think either Rylee or Lexie hit the transfer portal? I think Rylee will stay for she only has one year left and she is a good reliever. Lexie on the other hand is a highly rated recruit and might not be pleased being the number 3 or 4 particularly behind two freshman. Your thoughts

6. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    I would be surprised if either of the pitchers transfers. CTW will certainly be methodical about throwing a player into the fire too soon, as well as, pulling a veteran too soon. That being said, if the disparity between rookies and veterans is vast, and the rookies display the temerity to handle the promotion, it is by definition a positive regardless.

7. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree....unless the newcomers just blow away the vets in the fall it seems unlikely. Unless someone is just simply unhappy at UF.

8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I don't think all of the Auburn games are winnable. We have shown we can't hit pitchers not nearly as elite as Maddie Penta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I hope not. We used to have three legit aces on the roster and that was a huge key to Floridas championship success. But times are changing so who knows. Throw a different ace everyday of a series makes it hard on opponents offense to prepare especially when they have different throwing styles/pitches plus keeps all the arms rested for the eventual grind that is postseason. Everyone’s eyes should be on the ultimate prize of NCAA championship. If a player can’t see that and is upset about losing a few innings here and there probably not the type of character player CTW wants anyways.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  10. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    How many years did we have three legit aces?

11. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Yup! Absolutely ridiculous to not use the safety bag. No downside whatsoever. Only impact is to prevent injuries for both teams which should be a nobrainer.

12. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I’d have to go back and look at the old rosters but it was a pretty long stretch. @ocalaman probably knows off the top of his head. I believe it started Hannah Rodgers senior season when she took over for Brombacher and had freshman star’s backing her up. Gonna guess 5 seasons starting in 2014, perhaps a bit longer.

13. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I remember game 2 WCWS finals vs Alabama the announcers lost their mind because CTW started Ocasio over Rodgers who had been untouchable. I personally thought it was a genius move. Ocasio pitched a couple innings then Haeger came in I believe and Rodgers came in to finish it off and be in the circle as the Gators first championship was secured. Poor Bama didn’t know what hit ‘‘em lol.

14. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    That home run by Jordan was an amazing moment. I really liked that young lady, loved her smile. My favorite moment amongst many is still that home run by Kelsey Stewart in the supers vs Washington. Lightning literally struck as she launched it over the fence. Minus the rain/lightning delays Hollywood couldn’t have written a better script.

15. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so, she was a" natural"?

16. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Hell yeah! She for sure had the “it factor”. Better looking than Robert Redford also lmao. Remember her behind the back toss to first base for the out?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  17. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida

• Like Like x 2
  18. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Speaking of Ocasio look at that masterpiece!

19. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Apologies for the soccer, not sure how that got in there.

20. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The only downside to her career was the switch to SS her senior year after Medina left. She played pretty well in the field, but her batting was not the same.
    Her baby is one now, and she is going to play AU this year.